Author Topic: It's MAR10 today. So what Mario game are you playing or replaying?  (Read 62585 times)

Offline Lerion

Re: It's MAR10 today. So what Mario game are you playing or replaying?
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2020, 03:03:44 AM »
Well I've played most of them but for the past weeks I've been playing Super Mario Galaxy a lot. Love this version. Soon will start to play 2nd part of it. Not  much to do with this virus around.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:30:22 PM by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: It's MAR10 today. So what Mario game are you playing or replaying?
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2021, 08:33:11 AM »
Happy MAR10 Day again!

I notice with some dismay that I still haven't made much progress in catching up on the Mario & Luigi series and the Paper Mario series despite my nagging intentions to.  You'd think it wouldn't be that hard but other things keep popping up.  Still... it's been a few years now!  I did buy Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS) a few months ago to make an attempt, but in not having time, I let my brother start it, who didn't get far in it and doesn't seem to care.  I heard it was not great compared to other Paper Mario games, but yikes, if it's not even interesting enough to even play more than a couple hours in...  As time is at a premium, and if I want to have any hope of catching up, I might have to be okay with cutting out some entries, even in a series like Mario.

Kind of hard to cut out the big mainstream Mario games but it becomes a tricky question with remakes.  I never did pick up New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Switch) because the Peachette addition probably wasn't a big enough draw.  But recently I did pick up the new Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Switch) so I think when I do have time to game today, the main thing will be opening that up.  Thankfully Bowser's Fury is accessible from the start, and is a short game, maybe five or six hours... not sure if I am going to do that all today, though I'd like to.  Should I just take a day and make a whole thing out of it?  I have doubts I will replay the Super Mario 3D World portion, especially if all it has are gameplay tweaks and bug fixes.  It was fun, and surely still is fun, but I don't know if I want to relive the frustration of the last stage, Champion's Road... that took over six and a half hours one Saturday for me and my brother to beat the first time around!  Maybe it'll be easier with four players, since having four players die simultaneously is hopefully less likely... but that's if there is any interest, once group gatherings are allowed again.  Most likely I'll just stick with Bowser's Fury...

I guess I did make time for a remake semi-recently.  A few months ago I picked up Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch) - and you should too, since I believe it gets discontinued at the end of this month - but I only made time to replay Super Mario 64.  Got it 100%, and thankfully some things were easier than I remember; Tick Tock Clock and Rainbow Ride aren't as scary now but there were still some tense moments for sure, and the camera was still a cause for many lives lost.  I'd played all three when they were new and 100% completed them all, and though I legitimately like Super Mario Sunshine in a weird way, I don't think there's much priority to relive that and/or Super Mario Galaxy just yet.

Well, with that said, I guess I should bust Bowser's Fury out of the plastic wrap.  What are your MAR10 Day plans this year?

EDIT: So I made a little bit of time for games today, like 3.5 hours, and got 50/100 Cat Shines in Bowser's Fury which is enough for the (presumably) first ending.  Pretty good to finish a game in one sitting, haven't done that in a while.  Of course I'll play it through, but for today that is good enough, gotta get back to updating VGMaps.com and stuff like that...

Oh yeah, I randomly decided to buy the cartridge of Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World (Super NES) the other day.  Despite the Super NES being my favourite console, I have am embarrassingly low number of actual cartridges for it (especially compared to my other game libraries) mostly since I definitely rented many games in those years and didn't feel a need to buy games that I finished on rentals (which was actually almost always, even RPGs, surprisingly).  I don't know if I want to hardcore collect for it (though I have contributed quite a lot to my brother's NES collection) but I should at least get the major titles, and can't get much more major than five Mario games all in one!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 05:00:01 PM by JonLeung »