Author Topic: Micro Machines V3 (Game Boy Color)  (Read 46126 times)

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

Micro Machines V3 (Game Boy Color)
« on: June 05, 2007, 03:58:51 am »
Can any one do any maps for that game?

RE: Micro Machines V3 (Game Boy Color)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 05:23:02 am »
No wonder no one requests much... seriously... does no one come here at all?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 06:59:32 am »
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Map Request board doesn't seem to have much practical use.

The small number of regular mappers will map whatever game they feel like mapping, and the few that have requests usually come in and request every single map in a given game (and usually from several such games at the same time), as if maps were made by magic instead of requiring from a few hours to several days/weeks/months each in some case.

And personally, when someone comes in and makes such a request (namely, all the maps from a game and all of them big) for the umpteenth time, it feels unreasonable enough that I just ignore it.

I've always felt that the Request board would have worked a lot better if people were requesting a single map in particular, or attracted mappers' attention to

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 04:00:39 pm »
Firstly, I'd be crap at mapping a Micro Machines game, secondly, I'm not good enough at the game to get all the courses unlocked... thirdly... I don't want all the maps... in my first post I did say "any"...

Online JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 10:01:47 pm »
Hey, now, it's okay.

Ultimate Koopa, I'm surprised you didn't say anything when I put up Maxim's Sega Master System maps of Micro Machines!

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 06:25:13 am »
Yeah, I saw those. They're pretty darn good IMO. In fact, that's the reason I was wondering if it was possible to do V3, as well. The Game Boy Color version is a bit easier, as it's just top-down, lik the original. The only hard part is the fact that things like glasses, milk cartons and other objects, seem to have a kind of 3D-animation, which might make it hard-ish. I think V3, BTW, was known as 'Micro Machines 64 Turbo' on the N64.... or something. If it's not possible to do any V3, then how about Micro Machines 2, or Micro Machines '96?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 10:02:37 pm »
I just tried playing it, and I don't think it would be too hard to map, unless there are large areas of the various tracks where you can't go and thus capture.

As for those 3D models, since they're pretty simple and animated in a jerky manner, it would be easy to simply select the best view of it, and then paste that over every single of that object's appearances.

Now, I have no intention of mapping this game, but I might try a map or two just for fun.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 09:41:15 am »
I could map only the courses that are available on the single player time trial, but there's more tracks on the challenge modes, and some multiplayer modes.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 11:07:31 am »
I wonder if there are any Game Genie or other cheat codes for those that could potentially remove the exploding part...

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 03:32:14 pm »
There's also another problem.... apparently Micro Machines 2 and Micro Machines '96 do not freaking exist. Nearly every ROM site I've been to thinks that "Micro Machines" is the only Micro Machines game that was released for Genesis and SNES.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 06:50:45 am »
Notes from mapping the SMS version:

In 2-player mode you can skip arbitrary lengths of track so long as you drive both cars and keep them both onscreen and avoid the various instant-death zones.

For the SMS version (based on the NES version) the game is based on a relatively small number of 96x96 blocks. Once you get them defined it can be a simple matter to construct the game from those. On the other hand, the 16-bit versions are likely to have more variation and bigger maps. Raw Candy seems likely to work well on memory dumps (and by extension savestates). I just copy/pasted in an image editor.

After you die, the screen scrolls back to the last valid track position. Careful manoeuvring can make sure this will pass over otherwise inaccessible areas of the map, eg. discontinuities protected by instant-death zones.

In the end, I figured out a hack sufficient to allow me to cause the game to go into an infinite scrolling mode when I pressed pause. Thanks to the world wrapping toroidally (top<->bottom, left<->right) this allowed me to map out some of the totally inaccessible parts like the level borders. A proper scroll-control hack would be better, but the game is a complete nightmare of nonsensical-looking code and almost impossible to hack sensibly.

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 03:23:45 pm »
Well I found the ROMs, but um... it's still almost impossible for me to do any maps, since, for a start, I don't know how to turn off the sprite layer (the vehicle, to be exact... oh, and the timer and lap counter as well), and also, it's gonna be hard for me to be able to get to every tile on the course :(

So either can someone just do at least one map for one course from one of the Genesis Micro Machines games (either MM2 or MM'96)? Or is there a kind of tool that basically makes a map of the course for you... (as if lol)?

Online JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 06:04:57 pm »
DarkWolf was a genius when it came to extracting maps out of Genesis games, he might be able to help with those ones.

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 05:44:11 am »
Yay... hopefully.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 09:50:50 am »
I seem to remember looking at MM for Genesis and only being able to find the tile map of the player's current view, but I didn't look in the rom, and I might have missed something.  When I get a chance I'll look again.