Author Topic: Adventure Island IV (NES)  (Read 9527 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

Adventure Island IV (NES)
« on: February 27, 2007, 09:51:56 am »
The fourth chapter of this classic series was previously only released on the Famicom, but thanks to yet another of those nifty translation group, a translated ROM has been available for some time.

Unlike the previous 3 games, this one features a number of "overworlds", similar in part to a previous project of mine, Ufouria.

This is yet another project I'm reserving but, for once, I intend to finish it rather quickly. There are practically no difficulties in the mapping proper and thus it should only take me as long as I need to finish the game to finish mapping it. However, thanks to the nature of the game, I'm unlikely to post any completed map until I'm nearly finished with the whole thing since you often need to go back to previous areas with new abilities to see everything.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Adventure Island IV (NES)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 11:53:18 am »
I remember requesting this long ago on a whim alongside with a request for Ufouria, around the time I was looking for "Castleroid"-type games.  While I never got far in Adventure Island 4, I was always interested in seeing it mapped.

I figured it'd be something you would eventually do, Terra.  I was going to make a comment about Treasure Master and Harmony Of Dissonance but I know how you work, so I won't.  :P

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 09:00:04 am »
Since dammit 9x mapped it all out last month, should I assume that you've abandoned this one, Terra?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 07:58:36 pm »
I had completely forgotten about this project, as I tend to do, don't I?

But I had noticed that it had been completely mapped, and quite well too. I also noticed that you can't assemble the various areas into one giant coherent map like I did with Ufouria, and even separate segments of the same area don't match (I've noticed that the screens with a wall in the middle and a door on each side are cheating; you think you're coming out on the same screen but it's a separate one) and that alone makes me glad I didn't waste too much time on it.

Eh, that leaves more time to finish Battletoads and go back to that bad boy called Sonic CD.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)