Author Topic: Lemmings (PC)  (Read 21719 times)

Offline Revned

Lemmings (PC)
« on: July 10, 2007, 07:42:17 pm »
I've wanted to map this game for quite awhile. The PC version is so much better looking than the maps already on the site. It's really easy to map, so I won't have to devote too much time to it. Here are a few to start off with:

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Lemmings (PC)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 08:24:36 pm »
Nice. I started doing the same several months back, but I wanted the map to be complete and had no way of knowing how many pixels wide the empty areas on either side of the map were, so I stopped right there rather than to be inaccurate. Silly reason I know, but I'm glad someone else is doing it.

I'm mostly looking foward to the four special maps: "A Beast of a Level", "MENACING!!!", "What an AWESOME Level" and "A BeastII of a Level". I loved the graphics and music of these.

If you stick to this to the end, are you also going to map the various expansions, namely "Oh No! More Lemmings" and the two Christmas Lemmings?

This also reminds me that I've never even played Lemmings 2: The Tribes, despite how much I wanted to when seeing the game previewed in an old PC gaming mag way back when.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 08:26:39 pm »
Well, I might do the other games eventually, but I'm not going to commit to them now. This is the one I played back in the day, so I'm more fond of it.

Offline Revned

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 05:16:22 pm »
Hmm, I need some help. I've finished 40 maps, but I just noticed that mine look a bit different than the ones I found on another site. Mine lack lava, water, and acid in many levels. For example:

User posted image

User posted image

Can anyone explain the difference? I'd hate to think I've been missing details because my copy is screwy. This is level 6, can you guys please check your own copies to see if the lava is there?

Offline Zeric

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 06:22:16 pm »
I just tried different versions of Lemmings. On the DOS version, there is no lava. But on the Windows version there is a difference, the lava is still there but the exit doesn't have the horns.

I also tried Lemmings for the SNES and on that version there is lava.

---

Current Projects: Akumajo Dracula (X6800) Mega Man 8 (PSX) Super Mario World (SNES) Fury of the Furries (Amiga)

Current Projects: Akumajo Dracula (X6800 - Final Stage) Mega Man X2 (SNES Sigma 2)

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA - 83%)

Offline Revned

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 07:10:30 pm »
Ah, that must be it. Thanks, Zeric. I'll just continue to map the DOS version without the lava.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 07:42:34 pm »
One of the downside of having so many similar yet different versions/ports of the same game is that there's no 'original' or standard version whose maps would serve as an authority. Well, it's a downside to me :)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 07:55:08 pm »
Indeed. I actually own the DOS floppy version, so that's why I'm doing this one.

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 01:59:51 am »
yeah, funny project. I also started mapped Lemmings one year ago or so but tried to map every version at the same time to be able to show the differences afterwards. I never finished it because of some unovercomeable difficulties and the length of the project, but it was interesting to see the differences in the versions. Also the number of lemmings differed and sometimes the abilities.

Here are some images of level 6:

Commodore Amiga:

User posted image

Panasonic 3DO:

User posted image

Apple Macintosh: User posted image

PC:

User posted image

Sam Coupé:

User posted image

Sega Mega Drive:

User posted image

Atari Lynx:

User posted image

Nintendo NES:

User posted image

Sega Master System:

User posted image

Commodore 64:

User posted image

Amstrad CPC:

User posted image

Nintendo Game Boy:

User posted image

Offline Revned

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 02:38:41 am »
Wow, that was quite an undertaking. It's really interesting to see them all together. How far did you get? before giving up?

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 09:46:27 am »
You forgot my Japanese friend!  From the screens posted, the Sharp X68000 version looks almost identical to the Amiga version.

Offline Captain Drake

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 03:52:03 pm »
Did you forget the SNES version? Or is it identical to another?

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 02:06:57 am »
I never started on the SNES version, couldn't do them all at the same time. Oh and I left out the Sharp X68000 and Atari ST version above because they are looking the same as Amiga and 3DO. What I did was the following:

3DO: 30 Fun stages

Amiga: 30 Fun stages

Archimedes: none

Atari ST: 30 Fun stages

C64: 14 Fun stages

CDi: none

CDTV/CD32: none

CPC: 15 Fun stages

FM Towns: none

Game Boy: 25 Fun stages (there are only 25)

Lynx: 30 Fun stages

Macintosh: 22 Fun stages

Master System: 30 Fun, 1 Tricky stage

Mega Drive: 30 Fun stages

Mobile game (1): complete

Mobile game (2): none

NES: 15 Fun stages

PC-98: none

PC DOS (CGA): 11 Fun stages

PC DOS (EGA): 24 Fun stages

PC DOS (VGA): 30 Fun stages

PC Engine:  none

PC Windows: 11 Fun stages

Playstation: 8 Fun stages

Sam Coupé: 25 Fun stages (26th level won't load)

SNES: none

X68000: 30 Fun stages

ZX Spectrum: 5 Fun stages

The main problem for stopping was that the disk image for the Sam Coupé version that's available on the net seems to be corrupt, an error appears when trying to load level 26, so I knew I would never be able to finish a complete set (because this version also has quite different colours than the others).

Also I didn't know what problems might have occured in the later stages because I never finished Lemmings one single time. Although I think that with the right solution/FAQ it wouldn't have been a too big problem.

What I was planning was maps together with solutions (and passwords) like I did for the Lemmings 3D Winter demo so that no one ever again stumbles upon Lemmings passwords for the wrong system or a solution that might not work for the specific version. The Macintosh version for example needs a very tricky solution for one of the later levels because the developers gave you too few lemmings and didn't reduce the percentage of rescued lems.

Offline Revned

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 06:13:00 pm »
I haven't forgotten about this, I've just been really busy lately. We had about 20 family members visiting last week, another family member visiting during the two weeks before that, and I'm moving back to college this week.  For the record, I finished Fun, Tricky, and half of the Taxing levels.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 04:50:21 pm »
They're up now.  Awesome job!