Author Topic: Enduro Racer (Master System)  (Read 16683 times)

Offline Maxim

Enduro Racer (Master System)
« on: August 11, 2007, 05:06:10 am »
User posted image

Going for some kind of record for "most black background in a single map".

Offline Maxim

RE: Enduro Racer (Master System)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 07:51:59 am »
I added a title card, and did level 2. However, Imageshack isn't working for me now, so I'll try and upload later.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 08:04:13 am »
Stages 1, 2, 3:

User posted image User posted image

User posted image

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 04:33:35 pm »
Ha, now do the arcade version. ;)

I would say those are probably the maps with the most null space.  Congo Bongo is similar, but I don't think the level is as long, and it is wider.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 05:35:43 pm »
They look great, but the diagonal orientation make them difficult to browse easily unfortunately.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 01:03:19 am »
Which means they should totally be converted into 'interactive' maps with easy scrolling.

---

If you're interested on hacking Donkey Kong Country, contact me via AIM. My screen name is "Raccoon Sam C"

Offline Maxim

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 04:18:18 am »
I'm considering what to do about them. One option would be to put all ten courses in a single image - it'd probably save a lot of file size overall, but it wouldn't solve the problem of scrolling though it easily. (I find middle-clicking the mouse (in a supporting browser) works best, but it's far from ideal.)

I have some ideas about a Java viewer (that would work off a single composite tile image and a compressed binary tilemap, to avoid the filesize and bandwidth overheads) but on the other hand, Java applets are horrible.

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 10:49:08 pm »
You know, one could whip up an SWF with dragging navigation as well as well as some other controls on a session with Adobe Flash.

Pretty much like https://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/LegendOfZelda-FirstQuest-Hyrule(Interactive).swf but more awesome.

---

If you're interested on hacking Donkey Kong Country, contact me via AIM. My screen name is "Raccoon Sam C"

Offline Maxim

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 02:29:20 am »
When you say "one" do you mean "you"? If you could make it parameter-driven and use minimal data (ie. the same as my idea but in Flash) it'd be really useful, because it could then be re-used for other images, and especially because it could always reconstruct the PNG to save to disk yet use much less space/bandwidth online.

I'm not thinking of a PNG version of Zoomify, more like something that works like an HTML multi-image map only with a single source image and efficient tile layout specification to avoid the page-weight-bloat from having multiple image files and overly-verbose source.

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 03:58:45 am »
Oh, I really didn't mean that I could do it. I can work with flash, but when it comes to loading images via XML, I'm a no go. :<

---

Offline Maxim

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 09:17:21 am »
Update: finished stages 1-10 and put them all in one PNG file, which is 4MB - a bit better than 10 separate >450KB images. I'm not sure whether it's worth mapping stages 11-20, they're just slightly harder repeats. PNGOut is burning up my CPU now to see if I can't do something a little better with it.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 02:07:07 pm »
Here's one skewed to be horizontal. Much smaller, but horrible to look at...

User posted image

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 02:47:20 pm »
Creative, but I'll take the harder-to-browse original version thank you :)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 07:10:18 am »
That is very creative. Did you convert it with a self-written algorithm?

But I think the original version is still more accepted by most people, including me, because it's a bit hard to make out how it looked originally.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 05:02:22 pm »
No, just skew by 45 (degrees) in Paint Shop Pro. Its geometric and arithmetic effects are handy sometimes...