Author Topic: Framed map: The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past - Light World  (Read 35542 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator

Well, I finally got it done.  I decided to follow along with UncleBob's idea of getting a map printed and so I got printed the first map of VGMaps.com, The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past's Light World!  It's 50 cm x 50 cm.

I chose this basic white Ribba frame from IKEA, 'cause just in case I do decide to print Alex Foster's Dark World map, I can get a matching frame that's black for it, and then put them next to each other or maybe on opposite sides of the same room.

Here's another shot...

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 08:29:21 pm by JonLeung »

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Framed map: The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past - Light World
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 07:30:10 pm »
*whistle* The final thing looks gorgeous now, doesn't it?

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Maxim

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 08:11:30 am »
Some years back I remember Edge magazine (or was it their Retro special?) printed a 2-page spread that was a sizeable chunk of the Light World with a tiny credit in the corner. The reason I mention this: you can't appreciate how cool maps look printed until you see them close up. It somehow reinforces the "art-ness" of it compared to looking at it on a computer screen.

Of course, my wife would never let me hang something like that on the wall...

Offline wileee

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 08:15:17 am »
A couple months ago, NGamer Magazine included a poster with their mag. The poster had a LttP map on one side and Super Metroid on the other. I only know this because they contacted me for permission to use my SM map. (Granted it was only 24"x36")

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 10:03:57 am »
Wileee, I can only imagine how large your Super Metroid map would have to be to still be able to make out the little details. It would not look as good or as colorful as the Zelda map, but it would be neater to me.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 01:22:15 pm »
Maxim Said:
Of course, my wife would never let me hang something like that on the wall...

LOL, Maxim's comment reminded me of this from my radio interview with GameSHOUT.com.  Anyone remember this?  I can't believe it's already about two and a half years ago...

SJ: Do you ever find yourself printing out certain maps and, and making it into a big poster to put on your wall or anything?

JL: I've been tempted to print out my Light World for A Link To The Past, and it seems like a lot of people have expressed interest in a poster like that, but of course, you know, obviously, I don't have the rights to all these graphics, but it would be really cool to have a wall-sized poster of that.

SJ: (laughter) Definitely. Especially, now,

"Hi, honey! Um, look what I did to the wall."

"Oh, my god!"

I don't think that would go over well.

CM: (laughter) No, you'd get in trouble at my house doing that. (laughter)

SJ: (laughter) "Come on! It's Castlevania!"

"Whatever, you're sleeping on the sofa."

Offline Maxim

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 12:50:12 am »
(OT) I once printed out a Rasterbator picture at uni (hey, free printing!) that ended up about 2x3m, and stuck that on the wall. It wasn't a videogame map, though (Rasterbator doesn't suit maps, just photos) and my wife didn't appreciate the geek appeal of the printing style...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Framed map: The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past - Light World
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2023, 09:26:55 pm »
I have been asked to contribute to an upcoming Super NES book by writing a blurb or article about my favourite Super NES map.  I started writing about the Light World of Hyrule from The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past, the first map made for VGMaps.com, and how I liked it so much that I decided to get it printed and frame it back in 2007.  How it went down was that I got a white RIBBA frame from IKEA, with the intention of mapping the Dark World and getting a matching black RIBBA frame, but then Alex Foster beat me to mapping the Dark World, but even if I printed it anyway, IKEA then decided to stop carrying metric-friendly frames (at least that's what it seemed like at the time), so I was stuck with just the Light World.  So, 16 years later, as I was writing that story, I happened to check on IKEA's website, and, lo and behold, they now sell SANNAHED frames of the same size!  (Maybe they have for a while and no one told me.)

I edited Alex Foster's Dark World map to include the sunset seen when atop the pyramid.  The sky doesn't scroll at the same rate, so I repeated the image, which is why there seems to be a second sun off to the right side which wouldn't be seen, and even if the sky was static, it still wouldn't be seen anyway due to how the screens scroll and the limits of where Link can walk, like a few other places on the map.

So, to misquote Ganon, I finally "[made] my wish to [frame] both Light and Dark Worlds come true [with a 16-year-] delay".  (Hey, this is exciting to me, okay?)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Framed map: The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past - Light World
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2023, 10:50:05 am »
If you are curious, here is my edit to Alex Foster's original map.  I added the sunset, above the pyramid in the center.  My rip of the sunset is accurate, unlike the one I saw at The Spriter's Resource, which is missing the top row of pixels and mirrored some parts for some reason.  And yes, with this accuracy, comes a second sunset off the the right, which as mentioned, you shouldn't normally see because of the rate of how it scrolls.