Author Topic: XX days until Super Smash Bros. Brawl! (SPOILERS!)  (Read 40653 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
XX days until Super Smash Bros. Brawl! (SPOILERS!)
« on: December 22, 2007, 08:40:17 am »
Assuming the North American release date doesn't change from the expected Feb. 10, 2008, there are 50 (calendar) days left (or 49 days and some hours, if you want to be technical) until I'll be playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl!

I didn't put in a pre-order yet though, maybe I should.  :P

I've been Meleed out, that ironically it's the single-player adventure mode, The Subspace Emissary, that excites me the most, even more than the multi-player, though of course I do love the expanded character roster.  I guess I'm just excited to see Nintendo characters actually meeting up and fighting for some kind of purpose, as they've really only had cameos in each others' games and pointless rumbles in past Super Smash Bros. games.  And, being such a fanboy, there's also more trophies and trivia, which is exciting too!

Still, in the past year, making an effort to be more social, and the Wii being hot yet still the only one among my friends who has one (or at least with a certain group of my friends, and the only one willing to bring it along), my Nintendo games (both Wii and GameCube) are more commonly played each outing and get-together, so Brawl may be more fun than Melee simply because I'll have more opportunities to actually have full four-player matches.  (Then I might actually win sometimes, instead of being creamed by my brother constantly.  :P)

Online helps with finding more people to play, too.  I fully expect the regulars here who have a Wii to trade Friend Codes with me.

I'm going to watch a few videos again...

Offline marioman

RE: XX days until Super Smash Bros. Brawl! (SPOILERS!)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 09:53:58 am »
Here's hoping that Mega Man is in it.  I thought that he was going to be announced on the 17th, but I guess Nintendo is just going to hold out a little longer to announce that last 3rd party character.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 11:45:53 am »
I'm not much for all those "this character should be in it"-type discussions (mostly because someone inevitably suggests something ridiculous), but it's funny how the three non-Nintendo characters I DO think should be in it all have a name that ends with "Man"...Namco's Pac-Man, Capcom's Mega Man, and Hudson's Bomberman. (Though one "Man" is hyphenated, one is usually a separate word, and one ends a compound name...)

Those three companies have worked closely with Nintendo in the past and any of those classic characters would be more fitting than Konami's Solid Snake, who DID make the cut...

Offline marioman

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 12:24:33 pm »
Yeah, I am not much for all of those "Lol <insert character> 4 Brawl!!!!111oneoneone" discussions either, but I would like to see Mega Man.  

The characters on your list are probably the most likely candidates.  On the other hand, we could get some obscure character from a Japanese-only game...

I was shocked when Snake was announced.  Why would a character from a M-rated military game be in a Mario/Nintendo game?  He just looks out of place.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 09:39:16 am »
The latest update introduces "Trophy Stands", which literally are The Subspace Emissary's version of Pok? Balls.  To get trophies of the characters introduced in SSB:B's adventure mode, you have to weaken an enemy (including bosses) to low health, and then throw a Trophy Stand at them to capture it.

I love the idea!  Sounds like it would be easier with two players, though.

User posted image

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 11:19:19 am »
Those bums.  I can't access the official site from work, but from what I gather, it's been delayed until March 9.

So I guess it's 54 days until Super Smash Bros. Brawl...  >_<

My brother's gone back to school, so it doesn't make any difference to him, somehow he's going to hold out on playing this until April when his exams are done.  He was pretty insistent on not playing it during "Reading Week", and now it looks like he definitely won't.

Of all the days for me to try to find news while I'm at work...also, I was thinking of stopping by EBGames to reserve it today.  I still should, but now it's nearly two months away instead of under one month.

Japan's only getting a week delay, so the issue must be with translation/localization, since I doubt the North American version would get any exclusive features.  If I spoil myself with Internet-available Brawl info after the Japanese release, the official web site's updates are going to seem be pretty pointless...

Offline Revned

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 12:18:43 pm »
Yep, the official site says March 9th.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 03:24:23 pm »
What's amusing are the comments found on digg and elsewhere about this latest delay...some people really wanted it out in February.  Like the guy who had booked mid-February off from work just because of this game.  LOL.  I'm looking forward to it, but I don't think I'd go that far!

I may be jobless in February, though (due to an office move that I don't intend to follow with), so if I don't have a new job by then, maybe I really would want the game out to fill my time.  Of course, if I was jobless, I'd probably have other priorities (like finding a job) that I would be doing instead of playing games.  So I guess maybe it might be a good thing for me personally...I have enough distractions as it is.

Blah.  Anyway, there's a new video on the Japanese Nintendo site, cool...

http://wii.com/jp/movies/smashbros-movie1/ - Nice overview of features and gameplay.

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 01:46:41 pm »
So... according to my numerochronological skills...

Japan = 15 days

America = 53 days

Europe = 0 - 350 days

Australia = 0 - 350 days

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 03:21:24 pm »
By fluke (in a way, kind of like yesterday), I heard what today's update was.  I was talking about Zelda with a co-worker when I noticed the Wikipedia article mentioned that her Sheik transformation is in SSB:B.  Unsurprising, really.

More wondering why Captain Falcon's still mysteriously absent...

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 10:21:12 pm »
I predict that the next update will be Sheik: Special Moves.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline Rew

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 07:29:41 am »
*still wistfully waiting on Mega Man*
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 11:03:06 am »
I remember reading that Inafune (creator of Mega Man) essentially/apparently said that Mega Man wasn't in it.

I wonder how it would be if we still didn't know that Sonic and Solid Snake were in it.  Solid Snake was revealed in the very first teaser...

Sonic and Snake have to be unlocked, but they are by no means secret.  I wonder how other third-party publishers would feel if their character(s) were included but secret...it's supposed to be a selling point, after all, not hidden away.

Though honestly, what's "secret", and for how long?  In two weeks when the game comes out in Japan, next to nothing will be a surprise, characters or otherwise.  Someone's going to unlock everything in the first week and put the videos up on YouTube and we'd hear about it in any gaming forum...

I'm hoping there are around 40 characters.  I think we've only counted 23 or so (counting Zelda/Shiek and Samus/Zero Suit Samus and Wario/Warioman and Olimar/Pikmin and Bowser/Giga Bowser and the Ice Climbers together) so there are almost twice as many characters we haven't seen (though some of them are probably from a past game, like various Pok?mon and Captain Falcon and Ness, if Lucas hasn't replaced him - but there should still be some all-new surprises)...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 12:39:57 pm »
Once again, I'm using my restricted-Internet-at-work to figure out what's new.  Sounds like there's something called "Masterpieces" - demo versions of games that the characters have starred in.

I always thought history was a good thing to have.  So many younger gamers can't appreciate a series in the same way that we old geezers (:P) do.

Offline marioman

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 04:28:48 pm »
Yeah, but a demo?  I see that as a little cheap.  The least they could do is offer a discount on the VC game to people who have SSBB.  (Or maybe to people who beat the demo, complete some SSBB challenge, etc.)

It is good to see that Nintendo is still remembering their roots.  Some companies (read Sega) have seemingly forgotten what made them popular and are failing miserably.