Author Topic: XX days until Super Smash Bros. Brawl! (SPOILERS!)  (Read 40731 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: XX days until Super Smash Bros. Brawl! (SPOILERS!)
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2008, 07:06:25 am »
Three days!  :D

IGN gave the game a 9.5.  They didn't like the load times (20 seconds to start up?) and the repetition in SSE.  They would've liked leaderboards and the ability to know who you're playing against online when randomized, but acknowledged that it didn't take away from the game and were surprised that onlineness was as fleshed out as it was, or something.

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2008, 04:35:26 am »
TWO DAYS!!!

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 03:56:34 pm »
A FEW HOURS!!!!!!!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2008, 05:51:15 pm »
'Twas The Night Before Brawl's Launch:

http://www.wifiwars.com/?q=node/313

How to unlock all characters and stages in 37.5 minutes:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/index.php?board=928518&topic=41470331

Offline Revned

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 09:12:18 pm »
Well, it's here and it's pretty much what I expected. I really like Pit.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2008, 06:10:44 am »
I got the game late yesterday (4:00 PM! >_<) but managed to get 68% in Subspace Emissary...I believe I'm on the last stage which is a big chunk of the game because of how it's designed...(they increased the length of the game very easily because of how the "plot" worked out) so basically I'm done with most of the actual story, other than the end.  They were right about some repetition in SSE...it's really all about the cut scenes.  I was hoping to finish it last night, but when I knew I couldn't, I still wanted to get as far as I could, yet I felt more than ready to put down the controller when it got to this last stage...I was going to play SSE with my friends but I think I'll just play the cut scenes and they'll get the gist of it...

My brother swore off video games until he's done school this semester, but being an SSB fan he had to at least play one match.  Not wanting to see the character select screen or the stage select screen (I'd already unlocked some things he might consider spoilers), I had to select for him, so we jumped into a basic one-on-one Brawl on Battlefield, with him being Samus and me being Link (our "mains").  I shouldn't've set it to only one minute as he smashed me off once and I might have been able to get him too if time hadn't run out.  :P  But he always was better than me...

I didn't go online, other than to use Spectator mode to watch a fight between King Dedede and Sonic.  I should've bet on the guy playing Sonic - whoever had already unlocked him so quickly would most likely have some skill already - but I bet on King Dedede and lost a measley 17 Coins.

I was looking for the daily custom stage and couldn't find it, according to the GameFAQs boards, it sounds like they're not coming out yet...

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2008, 10:06:36 pm »
I played it for a bit today. I forgot how easily the series gives you thumb blisters.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 12:16:51 pm »
I guess this topic does have a SPOILER warning, so if anyone's as far as I am in The Subspace Emissary...I have a question.  I can't reach GameFAQs at work though last I checked there wasn't a good FAQ yet...

I'm near the end (well, let me rephrase that...near the end of any real plot development), working my way through the maze created by the areas that were taken by the Subspace bombs earlier.  Looking at my character roster, other than the secret characters I can't get yet, I notice I don't have Ike.

When I was playing the previous stage (or was it a couple?), collecting the trophies of the fallen characters, did I miss Ike?  Can I just replay a stage to find him, and where is he?

I notcied I can access the WikiCheats site from work but the SSE FAQ isn't done yet, either...>_<

Offline Revned

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2008, 03:25:42 pm »
I think that is indeed the case. I'm missing a few too. It doesn't really affect anything, from what I can tell. Probably just the percentage or something.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2008, 04:04:19 pm »
Did you get both Zelda and Link?  They're both necessary to get Ganondorf.  I thought that was a neat scene, when they agreed to unlock him out of trophy stasis.

I wonder how that would work if I hadn't done that the first time around.  I guess the stage would have to be cleared again...

Offline Revned

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2008, 11:57:29 pm »
Yes, I did. I have all the characters and stages unlocked in multiplayer now, too.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2008, 07:07:16 am »
I have to get back to the other thing I'm doing, so I'm probably not going to play it much in the next little while, but I did finish SSE (on Easy :P) and unlocked all the characters.  Other than that one match I mentioned, I still haven't actually played multiplayer so I still have stages to look forward to unlocking, or even seeing!

I noticed the download-new-content service is up.  I might at least look at what's new each day.  Last night, I got a replay of Pikachu breaking the targets in 12 seconds, a Japanese-named custom stage with MGS4 music, and a screenshot of...I don't know what that is...a seed?  An egg?  o_0

Stupid thing is I found that save files can't be copied to an SD card.  Content like screenshots and I think maybe replays, but not SSE saves.  Or trophies or stickers.  Or what's been unlocked and what's not.

Since my brother wants to unlock stuff (and actually play it, after exams), I had planned to back up my save, and he could play a bit and unlock stuff (but just a few things) in multiplayer, but once he wanted to play SSE, I could copy my save back, so he could still be surprised at who's in the game without me losing my save.  But now it looks like I might have to delete it for him to be able to do that, a month and a half from now!  Almost a good thing I might not have time to play more...

Though I notice you can delete particular data.  I don't remember seeing an option for deleting new characters or stages so that they could be unlocked again.  I'd hate to delete my SSE save just to see that the characters I unlocked through there are still there, though I believe that is the case.  But if I choose "Delete All", then I might lose screenshots or replays - though I suppose I could back them up on an SD card...

Grrr.  I think he did say it'd be okay if I left it as it is, but it seems kind of mean to deny the pleasure of unlocking stuff to someone who successfully managed to avoid spoilers all this time...  >_<

Though if he could live without the "You unlocked..." screens and the "NEW" on characters and stages, if he played and finished SSE before taking on any multiplayer, I guess he wouldn't actually be missing much 'cause he would be fulfilling the unlocking conditions anyway.  Besides, there are still Events, Challenges, Multi-Man Brawls, Home-Run Contests, Targets, All-Star mode on various difficulties...he does have plenty to do yet.  And even if I did lose my save, we'd eventually unlock everything anyway, and life goes on.  :P

This inconvenience could have been more easily handled if Nintendo would let us copy the save.  This also means that at tournaments, someone's going to have to unlock everything on every Wii involved.  Even with that speed-unlocking method, that could still take a while if there are many Wiis.  0_0

One more tidbit (or two or three) about the Subspace Emissary, before I end this wall of text - it would've been nice if Sonic's appearance made more sense, if we knew what the story was behind the final boss, and the end could've had more to it, that's for sure.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2008, 07:10:17 pm »
LOL, interesting take on the story:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3166869