Author Topic: 2008/02: Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II (NES) - Captain Drake  (Read 17960 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2008/02: Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II (NES) - Captain Drake
« on: January 31, 2008, 09:05:00 pm »
User posted image
Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II

For this month's "Maps of the Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to Captain Drake's Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II (NES) maps.

With the worst of winter upon us, wouldn't it be nice to break away to a tropical paradise?  Yeah, that'd be nice, wouldn't it?  But the sequel to StarTropics isn't as much of an island-hopping adventure, but a time-traveling journey!  Well, whatever gets you out of the snow.  ...Except that the first stop is an icy mountain in the past.  So much for that idea.

In any case, (and in any time period,) now's a good time as any to honour Captain Drake's Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II maps!  The first game was a decent hit, thought the sequel came at the end of the NES era that many people may have missed it (because they were too busy debating whether the Genesis or the Super NES was cooler).  If you do play/replay Zoda's Revenge, Mike Jones' second (and last) game will take you on a quest that includes encountering the likes of Leonardo da Vinci and Sherlock Holmes.  The maps here include every area, even every pitfall, so with these maps, you should be able to save Mica and your other alien friends from the evil Zoda.  (But unfortunately you won't be able to save Mike Jones from Nintendo's choice to pull the plug on this franchise.)

So to recognize the effort put into making these maps from an underappreciated game, Captain Drake's Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps of the Month for February 2008.

Offline RT 55J

RE: 2008/02: Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II (NES) - Captain Drake
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 08:19:53 pm »
As a person who has never played either of the Startropics games, the first thing that stands out for me is the lack of any maps for Chapter 1.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: 2008/02: Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II (NES) - Captain Drake
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 08:24:43 pm »
That's true, it does *appear* that way.  But when you play the game, you'll notice that Chapter 1 merely sets up the story, and gameplay doesn't begin until Chapter 2.

I would've called it "Prologue" or not even given it a chapter designation myself...

I never have time to really replay anything these days but this is one of those games I wouldn't mind doing so.  I mean, I've played the first StarTropics game at least a half-dozen times.