Author Topic: Having trouble registering? Try an email address with a three-character domain.  (Read 15215 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
I remember someone pointing this out before - if you're having trouble registering, and your email address ends with a two-letter domain (eg. .ca, .de, .ch, .fr, etc.), I think that might be why.  Try another email address (if you have one) that ends with three letters (eg. .net, .com, etc.).  Hotmail and Gmail both end with .com so those will work.

I remember Inty unsuccessfully trying to fix that.  I don't suppose bustin98 can do something about that?

Offline Paco

i finally registered now, before i couldnt...

The Hint with 3-letter domain helped.
Legends never dies.

Offline DarkWolf

Sounds like the validation for the e-mail address is looking for three characters after the last period.  If you search the internet you should be able to find a regular expression that can be used to validate any of the standard e-mail addresses.

Offline Grizzly

Apparently the validation just looks for more than two characters after the first dot. Because I had that problem with registering with my .de address and created one that ends with .onet.pl so it's also only two characters after the last dot, but because there's a subdomain before, it worked registering with it.

Offline Maxim

Email address validation by regular expression is silly (there's a huge one based on the relevant RFC to confirm this fact), and in any case it can't confirm whether the address given is actually valid anyway, only whether it is a valid address possibility. The only way to really validate is to send an email there with a validation link, which may well be what happens anyway (I can't remember from when I signed up). Thus, the correct fix is to delete the line in question entirely.

Offline DarkWolf

The real correct fix is to switch forum software, IMO.

I don't usually check heavily against e-mail fields either, but I do some basic checking so people can't enter whatever string they want, or leave it blank for that matter.