Author Topic: 2023/07: Mission: Impossible (NES) - mechaskrom  (Read 8860 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2023/07: Mission: Impossible (NES) - mechaskrom
« on: June 30, 2023, 09:52:39 pm »

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to mechaskrom's Mission: Impossible (NES) maps.

"Your mission, Jim, should you choose to accept it, is to save the American scientist, Dr. O.  He has been kidnapped by 'The Sinister Seven', due to his role in developing a military defense system for the United States.  As you know, our newest team member, Shannon Reed, has been posing as Dr. O's secretary in her assignment to protect him, but she has been taken, as well.  She managed to inform us of their whereabouts, so you should begin your search in Moscow.  As always, should you or any of your IM Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions.  This tape will self-destruct in five seconds.  Good luck, Jim."

You select your usual team of IMF agents - Max Harte (the tough guy), Grant Collier (the tech guy), and Nicholas Black (the master of disguise) - and send them across Europe.  Though the mission begins in Moscow, they will travel to Venice and the Swiss Alps, before ending up in Cyprus.  The Sinister Seven intends to start World War III, so stop their nefarious plans and rescue the good doctor, wherever he may be!

The intel you may need includes mechaskrom's maps of this brutally difficult NES game.  This top-down adventure is about more than just action - you may need help just finding your way.  The manual even calls these areas "murderous mazes"...  mechaskrom's attention to detail means these maps are marked with morsels of information, like what non-player characters say and what switches control.  The mission may be difficult, but at least if you have these maps, it's a little less impossible.

So to recognize the effort put into mapping this nearly-impossible game, mechaskrom's Mission: Impossible (NES) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for July 2023.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 11:32:13 am by JonLeung »

Offline mechaskrom

Re: 2023/07: Mission: Impossible (NES) - mechaskrom
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 07:38:27 am »
Thank you.

I really like this game. Sure!, it's difficult, especially the two vertical autoscrolling stages, but it's another Konami-quality NES-game with good graphics and music.

Mapping it was pretty fun, but adding all the enemy sprites was a bit boring though. And I'm not 100% happy with how switches and what they affected were annotated, but it was the most straightforward solution I could think of. Hopefully it at least makes sense when playing the game.
Some tools and other stuff I've made:
https://github.com/mechaskrom