General Boards > Maps Of The Month

2008/04: The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Hours (GBC) - JonLeung

(1/12) > >>

JonLeung:

The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Hours
For this month's "Maps of the Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to JonLeung's The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Hours (GBC) maps.

The third game in The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle series for the Game Boy Color is finally mapped!  In this game, Link finds himself in the land of Falsia, where he meets Farore, who turns out to be the Oracle of Hours, responsible for the movement of the sun and moon.  An evil entity named Proodyl captures Farore, threatening to cause an eclipse to fully awaken its evil energies, and Link sets off on another adventure to save a doomed world!

Like the companion games, Oracle Of Ages and Oracle Of Seasons, this new world also has different states.  Whereas Labrynna has two time periods and Holodrum has four seasons, Falsia has both day and night.  During the day, flowers are open, the tide is low, and gargoyle statues block paths; during the night, flowers are closed, the tide is high, and gargoyles come alive, among other things.  Once Link obtains the Lamp Of Hours, he is able to use its captured sunlight to light (or extinguish) the Moon Lanterns to switch between day and night in order to traverse Falsia and make his way to Proodyl's Fortress to rescue Farore.  And just like the other games, the true ending comes if you've finished one of the other Oracle games and continued with a Linked Game.

Two years after Revned's mapping of Oracle Of Ages (January 2006) and TerraEsperZ's mapping of Oracle Of Seasons (February 2006), the three Zelda Oracle games are now complete!  As Link knows very well, it's always just a matter of time.

So to recognize the effort put into finishing off the "Triforce Trilogy", JonLeung's The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Hours maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps of the Month for April 2008.

RT 55J:
I personally would rate this game somewhere between Ages and Seasons. The decision to consolidate the overworld into two maps with relatively minor changes helped make exploration easier (and more fun), and also made the game feel more cohesive, unlike the other two games. Even to this day I still think that Subrosia feels "tacked on" in a sense. On the other hand, I feel like the game has some really tedious dungeons. I for the life of me could not figure out how the Portal Cube was supposed to work.

It's really a pity that nobody bothered to map this game earlier. Despite being an excellent game, it just seems to me that it always seemed to me that nobody paid much attention to it. :( Maybe people thought that buying 2 of the games would be enough.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Rew:
At long last. The first two Oracle games were a bit sloppy in presentation and clumsy in execution. This one, however, delivers--Farore's time to shine!

I'm really glad you mapped this one, Jon. Kudos!

---

"So this is what it's like..."

- Spark Mandrill

The Ultimate Koopa:
So you decided not to do an April Fool type fake Map of the Month this year? <______________< *cough*

marioman:
BEST. GAME. EVER.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version