Author Topic: What Games Are We Playing  (Read 464716 times)

Offline StarFighters76

RE: What Games Are We Playing
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 09:52:17 am »
You must get SMRPG on your Wii. It is your destiny!

---

Creator of over 770 maps on GameFAQs. ^_^
Creator of over 4,300 maps on GameFAQs!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 08:15:58 am »
Well, I was watching Heroes and The Biggest Loser on Monday and Tuesday so I only had time to beat three Robot Masters in Mega Man 9 on WiiWare.

When I'm not able to access the game 'cause my brother's doing his daily half-hour on Wii Fit or whatever other reason, I can now also busy myself with Kirby: Super Star Ultra, which I started last night.  I finished Spring Breeze really quickly, and got 55 out of 60 items so far in The Great Cave Offensive already.  I guess it's not hard when I've played the Super NES game a few times before, but I still surprised myself with how much of it I remembered...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2008, 11:29:18 am »
Just finished Okami.  Capcom themselves advertised it as "the best game you've never played".  Well, now I can say it's one of the best games that I have indeed played.

Quite a lot of it was reminiscent of the Zelda games.  Wolf (Twilight Princess)?  Shrinking down at one point to enter a stump (Minish Cap)?  Some islands to explore at one point (Wind Waker)?  Time travel at another point (Ocarina Of Time / Twilight Princess)?  Amusing companion that does all the speaking for the silent protagonist (pretty much any recent Zelda game)?  Though throw in brush techniques, a lot of Japanese mythology (though the ending was rather sci-fi-ish) and you have Okami.  Besides, taking the formula from Zelda is not a bad thing anyway.  If you're going to borrow someone else's game engine, at least it's a good one (like Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night compared to Super Metroid).

It's never taken me two weeks to finish a game on a rental before.  But it's 'cause of everything else I had to do in the meantime, good thing I played it a lot on that one day I took off.  I cut it really close...seriously.  I returned it just in time to avoid having to pay restocking fees at Blockbuster.  Not that paying a couple bucks or whatever more for that wouldn't've been worth it...but it goes against my "finish-a-game-in-a-single-rental" standard.

Like Twilight Princess and Final Fantasy XII, one of the few things in the game I didn't do 100% is the fishing part.  What is it with fishing in all these epic games that I don't have the patience (or time) for?  Save the world, or...go fishing.  Hmmm...

I didn't mention it earlier but I finished Time Hollow on the DS a while back.  Think The Butterfly Effect (actually, I haven't seen the movie yet) but using the stylus to open portals into the past whereby you can take or place items that change the past and present, and then you have to confirm the details of the new memories that flood your head due to the changes you make.  Good presentation and an interesting story, certainly (though it tries a bit too hard at some points).  Also the game kind of came out of nowhere, I hadn't heard of it until JUST before its release.

Now I can get back to Kingdom Hearts (I only started before playing Okami, so Sora hasn't even met Goofy and Donald yet :P), or do I want to play some LEGO Batman?  Or do the second episode of Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People before the third one comes out?  Or take a break and do something productive *coughsiterevampcough*...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2009, 09:50:04 pm »
It's been a very long while...

Just popped in quick to say I just finished Disaster: Day Of Crisis (E) on the Wii.  I only missed one person to rescue!

Given that it's Mother's Day, I probably should've finished Mother 3 (J) (Translated) on the GBA instead.  Oops.  I'm on the last chapter so I probably will soon.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2009, 12:28:05 am »
GTA Chinatown Wars is really good. It has a lot of the feel of the first game, of which I have fond memories.

Offline Revned

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2009, 02:34:53 am »
JonLeung Said:
Given that it's Mother's Day, I probably should've finished Mother 3 (J) (Translated) on the GBA instead.

That's an odd thing to do for Mother's Day. I usually give my mother flowers and such...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009, 07:54:07 am »
Revned Said:
JonLeung Said:
Given that it's Mother's Day, I probably should've finished Mother 3 (J) (Translated) on the GBA instead.

That's an odd thing to do for Mother's Day. I usually give my mother flowers and such...

Well, I'm paying for her upcoming trip to visit family in California...if I had finished the game, it would have been a neat coincidence, as it wasn't planned, though, yes, it doesn't really do anything for my mom.  (Maybe completing Disaster: Day Of Crisis might have been implying something else?  It mostly takes course over a single day...)

I'd only just started Chapter 8 (the final chapter, I believe) of Mother 3, and though I'm guessing it's not as long as Chapter 7 was, a glance at a walkthrough suggested it was still a good size and might be kind of tight so I opted to finish Disaster: Day Of Crisis instead.  The last natural disaster is a hurricane, and a scene in the ending showing people in a stadium is reminiscient of Hurricane Katrina.  I wonder if that's one concern for possibly not bringing the game over to North America?  Mother 3 has a few oddities that I think Nintendo Of America would rather not deal with - it's only speculation but there are a group of seven "Magypsies" who are either gender-confused or transvestites, and they are major characters.  There's another major character who may be racially negative and early on a character dies a brutal death. But NoA should try to do something, or rather they should have earlier.  Though it felt a bit more linear than EarthBound, and there was an awful lot of experience building/grinding (though I did that while watching movies), it's still pretty enjoyable.  I'm not done with it yet, though.

I know I played some games between Oct. 14, 2008 and May 11 this year - that's seven months, after all - though very few between and including December and March because I was working on Metroid Dread, obviously.  I did replay Metroid: Zero Mission during that time, though, to remind myself of the Metroidian physics.

I recommend Retro Game Challenge on the DS.  It's based on a Japanese show about a guy who plays old Famicom (NES) games (though I'm guessing the show doesn't involve time travel).  In Retro Game Challenge, "Game Master Arino" sends you back in time to the 1980s, and you play NES-like games with his younger self.  You have to complete challenges in each game to move on, some as simple as doing a "start boost" in a racing game or as challenging as finishing a whole RPG.  The games aren't real classics, but look like they could have been, which makes it neat.  There are also (fake) magazines, with previews and cheat codes (like in the good old Classified Information section in Nintendo Power) to collect that are humourous to read and very helpful for the games that you just want to blaze through.  Like in the early NES era, the first few games are arcade-style games, but towards the end of the era, you get more deeper games.  The last two games here, Gaudia Quest (an RPG very clearly modeled on Dragon Warrior) and Haggleman 3 (a platformer that looks like Ninja Gaiden but more item-centric) are the really cool ones.  (I believe I mentioned in another topic that those two especially would be good to have mapped, if anyone wants NES-like games to map that aren't actually on the NES.)

I'm still behind on my games, though.  Started some Dokapon Kingdom and Tales Of Symphonia: Dawn Of The New World, both that I play with my brother, but I still haven't touched No More Heroes and Prince Of Persia. I probably shouldn't have started Klonoa, which came out only last week.  Speaking of the new Prince Of Persia and the new Klonoa, are game developers just giving up on subtitles now, or what?  I didn't get into Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom (J) all that much because it turns out it's another fighting game where my brother kicks my butt a little too much.  Also, the character selection felt rather limited compared to previous "Vs." games, and the lack of familiarity with the Tatsunoko characters hurt that limited selection even more.  Why only three attack buttons instead of six?

Since I own a PS2 now (don't remember if I mentioned it in this topic but the guy who lent me his PS2 decided shortly after to just give it to me), Final Fantasy X and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater are still on my to-borrow-and-play queue.  I think he gave up his PS2 because he has a backwards-compatible PS3, doesn't really play PS2 games anymore, has gotten married and has been busy with a new job, and came to the realization that video games aren't a priority in his life.

I think someone's going to tell me soon that I should realize that as well...  >_>

Offline Maxim

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2009, 07:59:24 am »
Those are all reasons why video games have to be a priority.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2009, 07:47:05 am »
Okay, so I got around to finishing Prince Of Persia last night.  Still have to get the remaining Light Seeds though, but it apparently doesn't affect the ending.  And since I played the PC version, apparently I'm screwed, since the downloadable Epilogue isn't available for it.  I guess I'll just have to find some videos to see what happens next.

The ending of that game is enough for me to consider making a whole 'nother topic about that, or maybe about game endings altogether.  Look out for that soon.

(Also started some Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop...  Seems I can never stop...)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2009, 10:22:01 pm »
I've been recently playing a couple of games:

-Just beat Maylene in Pokemon Platinum and am on my way to one of the lakes. The introduction of Looker was interesting, but I'm disappointed by how unsnowy everything is. And, just for kicks, I'm only catching female Pokemon. Even my starter is female.

-Halfway through world 3 in The Legendary Starfy. Everything in this game is so adorable. Reminds me of Wario Land + Kirby. I am definitely going to map the other games now. Too bad we never got them here.

-If it counts, my brother has been playing Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask on Virtual Console, and I have been watching him intently. The entire time, I think about what it will be like to rip maps from it.

---

YTT (38%) - WL4 (72%) - PM (47%) - YI (14%)
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Dan

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2009, 02:13:44 am »
UFC 2009 Undisputed - I've put in quite a few hours on this game since it game out almost a month ago.  I've re-enacted all the classic fights and beat career mode with an undefeated created fighter.  Recently I've been playing online a lot, trying to build up a good record.  My record is something like 135-70, which isn't too bad.  However, me and a couple other friends all use the same account to play online with, so it's not solely my record.

One of the big things I don't like about the game, though, is how when playing online, you can disconnect at any time and have the match become invalid.  So, quite frequently when I'm winning a fight the other player will disconnect and the match becomes void. Supposedly a patch is in the works, but really they shouldn't have let an exploit like this into the finished game.

I've also been playing the old NES a lot lately.

I just beat Ninja Gaiden today for the first time.  It took about 3 or 4 hours, all because of the last boss.  The last boss is on stage 6-4, and for some moronic reason whenever you die on him, you go back to stage 6-1.  Mind you, stages 6-2 and 6-3 are easily the hardest levels in the game and take a lot of practice to be able to beat regularly.  Oh well, now that I beat it I don't have to ever play it again :P

Another game I've been working on is Battletoads for NES.  This is the single hardest game I have ever played in my life.  My goal is to beat the game all the way through without the warps, and the farthest I've got after years of trying is stage 8, the Intruder Excluder, and there are still 4 more levels to go.  If I can ever beat this game, I'll have reached the pinnacle of my gaming career.  Last year I spent a good part of the summer trying to beat Battletoads in Battlemaniacs for SNES and succeeded, but that game pales in comparison to the original.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2009, 11:10:32 am »
When I get back home (on vacation right now) I'm going to try and rip the sprites from Crystal Warriors (Game Gear) which means playing through the game.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2009, 07:24:30 am »
Since my last post I finished Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop (Wii) with an A ranking, and I probably finished some other games too, I don't quite remember.  EDIT: Oh, yeah, I forgot about Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Wii).  It was nice to have original voice talent, but the game was kinda bleah.  Repetitive, and yuck.  I don't know that I would like the other versions just because they have realistic graphics as opposed to a cartoony style.

Why, oh why, did I start Final Fantasy: The After Years (WiiWare) and The Conduit (Wii) yesterday when I have other games (and other things) I've been meaning to get to?  They're good games, but I might have to prioritize.  Oh, I also started Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales (DS) last week - I like how it's aimed at kids but the music choices are clearly nostalgic from several past FF games that their target audience likely wouldn't have played much of.  This might sound silly but I'm also engrossed in EA Sports Active (Wii) for some reason that even I don't know.  It certainly makes me sweat, unlike Wii Fit, (Wii) which I still weigh myself on daily though I don't do anything else on it for some reason.

Meanwhile, No More Heroes (Wii) still hasn't been seriously started, and Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA) has been sitting dormant without that new 128-level dungeon or whatever being tackled yet.  Also, I'm still missing a couple of the 2% rare Pok?Radar Pok?mon in Pok?mon: Diamond Version (DS) - I'm sure I mentioned it before but I think a challenge should involve skill, not dumb luck, so unless I'm doing something totally wrong, after, what, a couple years you'd think I'd see a single $%#@!ing Nidoran by now.  And I'm supposed to catch three?  Get serious.  And some Trapinch as well.  (Maybe I'll just transfer them from Pok?mon: Ruby Version (GBA) and be done with it.)  Anyway, those are the three games I should get back to, for completion's sake.  Then there are so many other games (which are quickly becoming "old" or already old that I should get to), like all those PS2 games I've been meaning to borrow, but the PS2 my friend gave me last year has been sitting dormant for maybe more than half a year now.

In terms of making progress, I finally got all 1001 Light Seeds in Prince Of Persia (2008) (PC).  The last several were hidden away in pairs, strangely.  Okay, okay, I had to resort to a FAQ for the last eight or so.  Strangely, despite having no way to track which Light Seeds had been obtained and which weren't, somehow I was able to quickly identify the ones I missed on the FAQ based on sometimes-vague descriptions despite not playing the game for a while.  I don't know that obtaining all the Light Seeds was technically worth it, as after obtaining Elika's alternate "Jade" skin (as in Jade from Beyond Good & Evil), there was nothing more to do with the game.  And I did catch a bajillion bugs and fish in Animal Crossing: City Folk (Wii) recently, since a bunch came out in July.  Just the spider (still!) and tarantula are left...easy to remember, as both particularly gross me out in real life...

(I didn't think I was playing all that much, but when it's all written out, it certainly looks like it...)

I've really got to trade Friend Codes for Super Smash Bros.: Brawl and Mario Kart Wii with some of you guys here.  Maybe also for Animal Crossing: City Folk and The Conduit.  Would be fun.  (If I'm not going to fight my addiction I might as well be more social about it.)

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2009, 06:44:36 pm »
Heh, might as well post a bit here. :)

I haven't had much time over the last year or so to play many games at all, nor have I had much interest in doing so. Producing a body of work (i.e. paintings) had been my number one priority, so there wasn't much room for anything else. But even now that the term's over and I've got all this free time, I tend to gravitate more towards reading manga. But in any case! :)

The one game I've been playing most recently has been Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations. This series is always a lot of fun, though picking the right piece of evidence when it's not totally clear can be a bit of a chore. Other DS games that I've had on hold for a while include Final Fantasy III, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, and Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard. Oh! But the one "game" that I've been "playing" quite a lot over the last few weeks has been Kanji Sono Mama Rakubiki Jiten! lol XD

That's been pretty much it as of late.

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2009, 08:46:07 pm »
I've been playing random Wii games (most commonly recently SMG) with cheats. Yeah I know cheating is for losers, but I'm a loser (at games). I don't cheat online though. And for anyone who wants it, 1934-0807-5940 is my friend code for Mario Kart Wii.