Author Topic: What Games Are We Playing  (Read 464741 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: What Games Are We Playing
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2010, 08:44:37 pm »
I just finished Mega Man 10 (on Normal, credits are going by as I type this).  Despite being maxed out on items before beginning the Wily Castle, and even max lives by the rematch stage, I thought I was toast, after losing a bunch of lives to the rematch to Nitro Man.  A couple at Pump Man and Blade Man each for some reason, too.  I ended up using all my lives but my last by the time I beat them, after remembering about the 1/2 damage item, and had nothing else other than like a couple W Tanks, but the last Eddie/Fliptop gave me another life just before facing the second-last boss.  Then, thank goodness the last stage gives another life, and one of each of the tanks, all in easy reach, making the final boss a peace of cake.

I don't know if I will attempt Hard Mode or all the challenges, but it was fun.  Better than Mega Man 9, in my opinion, though the ending could've been better in this.  Well, maybe I just like the ending montage of the Robot Masters in 9, but they couldn't've had them here, I guess.

EDIT: My time of nearly two and a half hours is a little embarrassing (it's 'cause I replayed Sheep Man's stage a few times to get lots of screws) but I got the "Tenacious" challenge done by not continuing.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:42:12 am by JonLeung »

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2010, 02:15:34 pm »
Two and a half hours and no game overs? That's actually quite respectable for a first playthrough. I beat the game a couple days ago, and my clear time was around 3 hours, with about a dozen Game Overs. Even so, I thought it was easier than MM9, and better overall. The levels and bosses are just as well-designed if not more creative. The weapons are a not as useful than MM4 or MM9, but all satisfying to use (like X2). The music is phenomenal. All in all, I think it might be my favorite Mega Man game, though it is a bit early to judge.

I also played through the game on easy as Protoman. The game practically beats itself on that mode. Seriously, there are like 2 Yashichis per level, assist platforms over 80% of the pits and spikes, and tons of goodies everywhere. I'm pretty sure my mom could beat it, and the farthest she's ever gotten in an action game is Butter Bridge 1 in SMW (which, admittedly, is quite respectable (especially in comparison to my dad)).

I played hard mode for about an hour last night and the only boss I was able to beat was Pump Man, but I did manage to get to a few others. I guess I'll be practicing them in their challenge rooms for a while...

Offline Revned

« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2010, 03:29:14 pm »
I haven't played MM10 very much, probably less than 4 hours total and only halfway through Wily's castle. I don't know if I just had too high of expectations or if the novelty wore off, but I don't like it nearly as much as I did MM9.

In other news, I'm in the process of collecting the last trophies for Heavy Rain. I really enjoyed it, though I'm sure it wouldn't appeal to everyone. It was a completely different experience from any other game I've ever played.

Offline Rew

« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2010, 09:17:52 pm »
The Legend of Zelda! =D

Yup, that's right, the 1986 NES original (well, on Virtual Console, that is). I'm actually planning to play through every Zelda game in the series, and there's no better place to begin than the beginning.

I beat the first quest today, 100% with 0 deaths, and I've now started the second quest--which I will finish up tomorrow.

And thanks to the maps of Rick Bruns, much of my exploring and dungeon trawling has been very expedient indeed. =0)
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline Rew

« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2010, 07:01:56 pm »
And Zelda 1 is done! =D

Now on to Zelda II. D=
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2010, 08:05:46 am »
Since February 1 I've been playing practically just Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES for the PS2 (other than when I quickly played and finished some Mega Man 10).  It really looks likely that I'll finally get to finish this 160-hour game tonight!  :D

As I alluded to earlier, my friend who gave me a PS2 last year lent me this game on January 31, 2010.  If you know the story of this game, you know that is an incredible coincidence, as in the main story of the game, that day is "The Promised Day" (ie. the day you fight the final boss).  (Another coincidence: the game starts on April 7, 2009, which was my 29th birthday.)  He did not specifically mean to lend it to me on that day, which is what really makes it freaky/neat.  Anyway, I hadn't considered playing this game, it was not on my queue of to-play PS2 games (of which I have a dozen I got for cheap, most of which I still haven't touched), and I was already behind on my Wii games as it was at the time.  But I didn't want to be rude when he lent it to me out of the blue like that, so I started playing it, not knowing it would take me 160 hours (so far) over the span of three and a half months.  I'm really behind now, but I am enjoying Persona 3.

I'm fairly certain I'll be finishing it tonight.  The in-game date is January 28, 2010.  All my characters are at Level 99, and two of my Personas (Ose and Messiah) have maxed-out stats, while Messiah is also at Level 99.  I've created all the Personas I possibly can, except for some of those who required max Social Links.

If I had known earlier that pretty much the only way to maximize the Social Links given the limited amount of time you can do things, I would've followed the GameFAQs "Social Links" walkthrough a lot earlier.  You can only Fuse Orpheus Telos (the "ultimate" Persona, a palette swap of the original Persona, Orpheus) by maximizing ALL Social Links in a single play-through, which is pretty tough to do without following such a guide to a T.  In that sense, it's a little ridiculous.  I am happy to have Fused the six Personas needed to Fuse Orpheus Telos, even if I can't make that final step.  Regarding Orpheus, here's another coincidence: the "can-can" song in the credits for Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars originally comes from the operetta "Orpheus In The Underworld", and Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom was the last game I finished before taking on Persona 3.  :O

I've also done all of Elizabeth's requests (side-quests)...at least all that I can.  I can't do those that required some of the Personas I ultimately can't create now, and I missed a couple of the fetch-an-item-on-this-particular-day-or-else quests (I apparently didn't save when I fulfilled one of those, and I didn't notice until after I'd loaded and then saved after the due date).  Also, because characters get "tired", essentially making grinding difficult, I had to take every opportunity to grind when I could, which is what really ballooned this to 160 hours.  I managed to watch a number of movies using the split-screen function of my TV while doing this, at least.  They weren't kidding when this game ended up on the GameFAQs "Top Ten" list of "Most Grinding".

Though I didn't finish it yesterday, there would've been two more incredible coincidences with this game: the name of the main 262-floor tower in the game is "Tartarus", a name I'd only heard outside of this game's context at church yesterday (even if it was a very, very brief reference), and when I was putting up the "Kyouryuu Sentai Juuranger (J)" map by Gennadiy_Master yesterday, I accidentally loaded up a Super NES game that also began with "Ky".  It turned out to be a Megami Tensei game as well, which I also figured out when I started the game (despite not understanding Japanese) and seeing a tower with a full moon, and when you start the game, you're in a tower, with the phase of the moon very clearly indicated.  I'm guessing a tower and moon phases are important in other games in the Megami Tensei series, but it was freaky that when I'd planned to finish it yesterday is the day I'd learn that by chance.  Five coincidences in all...whoa!  :O

Anyway, barring unforeseen circumstances I can put all this behind me tonight...well, at least the main story, "The Journey".  This FES version includes the epilogue "The Journey", which I hope is short...I hope my schedule is clear for when Super Mario Galaxy 2 comes out later this month.

Wow, this post turned out longer than I expected.  Just like this game...zing!

I'm really behind on my games again, and this year it wasn't because of an April Fools' joke.  Once Persona 3 FES is done, "The Answer" included or otherwise, it's time to move on.  Other than Super Mario Galaxy 2, which will be top-priority, I still have a lot of other Wii games to get through, most of them M-rated for some reason.  These include Dead Space: Extraction, MadWorld, No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle, Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles, and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.  Other than M-rated games there are some others like Red Steel 2 and Monster Hunter 3 Tri which I should consider making time for.  And on the PS2 front, there's also Final Fantasy X-2, which my friend was trying to tell me is crap (which might have led him to lend me Persona 3 FES in the first place), as well as the decade-old Resident Evil: Code Veronica X which I should play before tackling the PC version of Resident Evil 5 (and maybe I'll do the Ada Wong stuff in Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, another M-rated Wii game, but I'll probably download a save to not have to do the main game again).  And a bunch of PS2 games are collecting dust, too.  After playing a 160+ hour game, it's going to feel weird playing 5-hour games...

EDIT: Bwahahaha!  I finished it!  Coincidentally, just in time for Chuck.  Coincidentally, the credits were rolling as the final episode of Season 3 of ReBoot is wrapping up, too.  :P

EDIT: I put down my pre-order deposit for Super Mario Galaxy 2!  And how did I forget that I still have Pokémon: SoulSilver Version sitting around?  :P
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 07:22:13 am by JonLeung »

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2010, 11:44:12 pm »
I am *so* in love with Super Mario Galaxy 2! I bought it today and couldn't put the controller down until I had collected 13 stars. Not because of that number, but rather because I have to go to work tomorrow. Looks like I can say goodbye to any free time for the near future... but when it feels this good, I don't mind at all :)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2010, 12:28:25 pm »
As am I.  So far, I've gotten to 51 Stars, but I didn't really play it much yesterday.

Brings back memories of when I was on jury duty back in November/December 2007 playing the first one.  Partway through the trial, the witnesses weren't available for about a week (or five or six days, I think), but I wasn't expected to go back to work for a month, so essentially I got to sit at home and play Super Mario Galaxy all day long while still getting paid.  :)  I don't think I'll be able to finish the second one as quickly since I have so many other things going on, but I think I'll get a minimum of 5 Stars a day, so I should be finishing World 5 tonight then.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2010, 08:10:10 am »
There's still another two weeks until we get SMG2 in Europe :(

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2010, 07:39:25 pm »
I reached the Throwback Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy 2 today.  Cute.

Speaking of which, it's mentioned here in kombo.com's Top Ten Monday featuring The Best Super Mario Levels.  Note here the use of KingKuros's 6-10 map from Super Mario Bros. 3 and RyuMaster's Mario Zone 1 map from Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins:D

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2010, 08:42:27 pm »
Finally got to play Super Mario Galaxy 2. I love it. <3

I've just reached World 5. Everything is so amazing. :D
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2010, 11:51:37 pm »
I'm in the middle of World 4 right now, with practically every available stars before that finished except for the odd prankster comet or two. Has anyone noticed how the world maps seem to increase in scope with each new one? So far it seems to go Planetary System -> Solar System -> Star Cluster(?) -> Galaxy. I wonder if that stays true for the other two...
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2010, 07:56:31 pm »
I'm sitting at 125 out of 120 Stars right now.  :P

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2010, 10:01:55 am »
Looks like I was right!

It goes Planetary System -> Solar System -> Star Cluster -> Galaxy -> Galaxy Cluster -> Humongous Black Hole

And I think it's funny that despite Super Mario Galaxy's cosmology behind completely messed up in terms of what stars, planets and galaxies are and how big they should really be, they still managed to depict that huge black hole somewhat realistically, as a rotating black spherical object instead of a downward vortex, and they even showed the accretion disc as well as a small jet of ejected material along the rotation axis (not always visible depending on the camera angle).

About the only thing they didn't include for good reason is the visual distortion that would happen as the black hole bends the light coming from behind it (the gravitational lens effect). And yeah, I've been fascinated by black holes all my life, so it's neat when one is depicted with at least some attempt at accuracy.

Incidentally, I'm up to 103 stars but the last ones are getting quite a bit harder to acquire.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:02:18 am by TerraEsperZ »
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2010, 11:02:38 am »
Oh, there are definitely some challenges later on. And yeah, I was happy how they depicted the giant black hole as more realistic. They can't really do that very well for the stage black holes(?) because the disk/jet would get in the way/stand out too much, since they're supposed to be the space equivalent of a bottomless pit. Speaking of which, I noticed that SMG2 uses a lot less black holes than the other game. I don't recall a single round-holey-planet-with-black-hole-in-middle like in SMG1. I guess they could get away with that by having many of  the Galaxies be in low orbit around the regular-sized planets.

By the way, I managed to get 160 stars over the weekend I was at home. I hope to get the rest of them next time I return!
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!