Author Topic: 2009 April Fools' Project brainstorming  (Read 79358 times)

Offline Revned

RE: 2009 April Fools' Project brainstorming
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2008, 04:48:09 pm »
I personally thought the last crossover was very unconvincing. Everyone immediately knew it was a fan construction. I think for it to believable, it has to be something more normal.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2008, 06:12:38 pm »
I personally think that believability is one of the last things we need to worry about. :P

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2008, 06:22:43 pm »
I think for an April Fool's joke we should go for either extreme: one that's believable enough to make fools of anyone who thinks it's a real game, or one that's not quite believable but is at least amusing/fun/interesting.

We all know why I wanted to mix Mega Man X and Metal Gear Solid (interesting boss concepts, blah blah blah).  I've always thought Mega Man Solid X: Guns Of The Mavericks would have worked better if Mega Man (X) fans and Metal Gear (Solid) fans were the same people.  Most people I know are only one or the other but not both.  Perhaps, if this site were a more general video games web site, and not one about maps, we could've presented bustin98's artwork alone as supposed concept art and the point wouldn't've been missed.  I remember him saying his friend who worked at a games store printed off the artwork and fooled some people there.

"Metroidvania" and/or "Castleroid" have been terms used for the genre of games, I'm trying to envision what a game that was a mix of the series would look like.  It truly isn't believable; at least with MMSX:GotM you could see each map to see bustin98's rendition of another character, whereas I don't know that we'd necessarily want to render a bunch of areas in Metroidvania when the "joke" is already over.  Unless you want artwork of crossed bosses like "Death-Ridley" but then the maps become secondary again (and besides, there aren't many other memorable bosses).

On a not-quite-related note, a steampunk version of Samus's suit would be interesting...

Offline marioman

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2008, 09:06:24 pm »
The point of an April Fools joke is to fool people.  (Shocking I know.)  Therefore, the joke has to be believable or else people will not be fooled.  Metroidvania is not at all believable.  People talk about it all the time, and it has actually become its own genre.  Therefore the chance of fooling someone would be slim.  Especially when you consider that you will be combining events from the 1600s with events in the far future.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2008, 10:43:10 pm »
Actually, marioman, Castlevania games go by the idea that Dracula returns every 100 years, though there have been (many) times when he's broken that rule.  The chronology of games run from the 1000s to the 2000s.  :P

But you're right, though, technology doesn't change Dracula's castle much, and a Metroid theme mixed in would certainly be a jarring juxtaposition or something.  Even if it could look interesting, believable or not, would it be worth the effort?  I think that's the real question.

Offline Will

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2008, 06:36:18 am »
So far there has been those ideas. Choose any of the following:

NES Super Smash Bros

SNES Metroidvania/Castleroid

Super Mario Bros. Super Show (Discarded)

Why not try a Sega title for a change? Unless of course Sega is not that popular, but you might want to try to map a Ninja Gaiden or Wonder Boy game. Ninja Gaiden is one of the site's favourites is it not? Perhaps this could succeed.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2008, 11:34:34 am »
Why not just give the April slot to an author of a real map set?  It's a the simplest solution, maybe not as much fun, but I don't think anyone brought it up so I will.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2008, 02:25:18 pm »
DarkWolf Said:</quote>Why not just give the April slot to an author of a real map set?</quote>

You can't expect us to break a tradition after 4 years. :P

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline marioman

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2008, 10:02:25 pm »
RT-55J said:

That's precisely why I think it would be such an awesome idea.

I don't know.  I see it as the same thing as making a game called RPG or 2.5D sidescroller.  It is a genre as opposed to an actual game.  I think that Metroid Dread would be more focused.  (Besides, I don't think that Mother Dracula would be a believable final boss.  :P)

Offline Will

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2008, 01:50:03 am »
Perhaps we should design a voting poll in the secret room where we can vote for a game title to decide on. Even the one who suggested the certain titles can also be counted to vote for their own idea. So far there are three title choices to vote for but this is how I should set it:

What April Fool game should come for 2009?

1 - NES Super Smash Bros.

2 - SNES Metroidvania/Castleroid

3 - SNES/GBA Super Mario Bros. Super Show

4 - A New Ninja Gaiden game

5 - A New Kid Icarus game

6 - A different idea

7 - I don't care for April Fools maps

I think this voting poll will ease the matter a great deal and the conclusion will be at its peak once the voting has taken place. I hope that works out well.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2008, 06:55:50 am »
You left Metroid Dread off that list, which is a separate idea from Metroidvania.  :P

Offline marioman

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2008, 06:03:10 am »
One thing that I forgot to mention earlier:

RT-55J said:

Metroid Dread could be somewhat feasible if we had a good pixel artist.

You could probably find one on a Metroid fansite like Metroid Fan Mission or the Metroid Galaxy Guide.

Offline Will

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2008, 01:53:01 pm »
Talking of graphic artist marioman. The reason my SMBSS maps are at a standstill is because I cannot decide upon a better layout plus I cannot gain the sprites and graphics I need, such as a snowmobile, a telephone and so on. But that doesn't matter I think Metroid Dread is the overall conclusion above all other suggested titles. Better luck next year for me or others.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2008, 07:22:43 pm »
I don't know if Metroid Dread is the conclusion, it's just what I currently like (and I am just one of many) - and that's really only if we think it's feasible.

Maybe we could do a smaller project (like the Super NES version of Super Smash Bros.), get that prepared for April 2009, so that we can take our time to make sure that a bigger project like Metroid Dread can be in good shape for April 2010?  In a sense, that's kind of like what happened with LoZ:OoH, except that Super Kid Icarus was more of a last-minute effort...but at least came out presentable and on time, buying me time for LoZ:OoH (though I wasn't sure about returning to it until December).

Oh, yeah, I should probably change the poll one of these days...  >_>

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2008, 07:54:49 pm »
I agree with the idea of a smaller project if it means more time to work on larger project. The only problem is making sure that people don't spend all of their time procrastinating. :P

---