Author Topic: European Titles versus US American Titles  (Read 18944 times)

Offline Will

European Titles versus US American Titles
« on: May 19, 2008, 03:42:41 am »
It seems up to now that most titles for multinational distributed games are named in the map indexes, are always named their US American Title. For example, Jon, the third Spyro game had two titles, "Spyro Adventure" the European title and "Spyro Attack of the Rhynocs" the US American title and you chose "Spyro Attack of the Rhynocs". Is every game going to have US American titles if its been released in countries other than the USA? I am not thinking this is racism, but why always USA titles? Are the USA titles more commonly well known around the world and people would hardly know or recognise the European titles let alone know the Japanese titles? I'm just wondering about it. The strategy I would prefer when indexing in map archives is to hand pick the most fancy of nationality titles balanced with the likiliness of visitors understanding. Would anyone understand the title "Bubble Symphony" instead of "Bubble Bobble II". Does anyone else have a good idea about USA and European titles?

Offline salahmander

RE: European Titles versus US American Titles
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 07:08:37 am »
how about contra and probotector, but only because it had something to do with Iran

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 08:02:14 am »
For the most part it's because I live in Canada, and I recall the majority of visitors here are American.  Naturally I'm inclined towards the North American names.

I don't think that should be taken negatively from the non-North Americans that come here.  I have nothing against European and Japanese games.  As for their names, I just never thought it was necessary for me to have to go to GameFAQs and check on every one.  And I hope you don't also mean providing screen captures of every version's title screen!

Perhaps if the site is ever revamped with a search tool, I could somehow have the European/Japanese/other regions' names involved.  But don't expect the whole site to be written in every language.  :P  Though I suppose there are enough web page translators for that...

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 02:30:54 pm »
Most European gamers I've run across seem to know what the N.American equivalents are.

Offline marioman

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 03:50:11 pm »
I would take a guess that the converse is also true.

Offline Eggz

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 10:58:17 pm »
Jon and DarkWolf have a point, most of the visitors to the site are North American (I hesitate at saying American only, since Jon, Terra and I are Canadian, and possibly more that I don't know of offhand), and for the most part even European gamers tend to know the NA titles for most games. They just tends to be more widely understood/accepted as overall titles, not to try and exclude a particular group.

But then we can get into the games that, when they make the shift from one region to another, even though the name was English to begin with, the name can get a complete overhaul. Here are a just a few examples:

- Bully (NA) --> Canis Canem Edit (UK)

- Indigo Prochecy (NA) --> Fahrenheit (UK)

- Haunting Ground (NA) --> Demento (JP)

In situations like that, you either get to know both names, or the NA one takes prominence.

---

This looks like a job for Science!

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 02:45:24 pm »
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast (NA) --> Donkey Kong Jet Raice (EU) .... is another one.... <_<

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 06:36:49 pm »
Why were they afraid to call Star Fox Star Fox for a while?

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 07:52:27 pm »
IIRC, there was some stupid Atari 2600 game called "Star Fox" that had nothing to do with foxes.

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline Eggz

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 11:22:55 pm »
Ryan Ferneau Said:
Why were they afraid to call Star Fox Star Fox for a while?

Just wondering... How does that fit in with the topic at all?

---

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 05:23:06 am »
WOWWWWW..... I dunno, ... erm..... lemme think just one second.... Nope, can't think of a reason............... except:

This is about US vs EU name differences?

Lemme think...

Star Fox in US = Star Wing in PAL regions

Star Fox 64 in US = Lylat Wars in PAL regions

.... nope... can't think of how that could have ANYTHING to do with this topic <_< >_>

Offline Eggz

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 09:18:18 am »
Ok, I was just asking for a bit of clarification since Ryan didn't make it clear what he was talking about. Not everyone knows the details about every series. No need to get condescending.

---

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 04:06:26 pm »
Sorry <_< :D I wasn't "getting condescending" (even though I dont' even know what that word means <_< >_>), I was just trying to be "humourously sarcastic" <_<

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 04:22:07 pm »
Everybody relax!  :P

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 06:19:20 pm »
Is it just me or has there been more friction/tension than usual in the forum lately :P ?

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)