Author Topic: Go, Speed Racer, Go! (2008)  (Read 11186 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Go, Speed Racer, Go! (2008)
« on: December 11, 2007, 09:48:09 pm »

Offline marioman

RE: Go, Speed Racer, Go! (2008)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 08:44:03 am »
Speed Racer is a cartoon, not a remake of The Matrix.  The animation for the cars and tracks looks out of place, and the storyline just sounds too dark.  Very sad.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 03:11:13 pm »
I do not plan to see this.  Poor Speed Racer...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 05:44:03 pm »
I think now that I'm expectant of remakes of everything (I hear there's Astro Boy in the works too), I'm not quite as jaded when it comes to stuff like this.

Certain casting choices, though.  I didn't watch much of Speed Racer at all, but for some reason John Goodman doesn't seem right as (I assume) Speed's dad...or maybe it's just the mustache, I dunno.  Or it could be because I always assume everyone from anime by default (especially if I don't know the characters that well) are Japanese...  >_>

And whoever wrote that at JoBlo.com was right, it does kinda look like a rainbow puked over everything...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 08:29:52 am »

Offline marioman

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 11:14:58 am »
Still too dark and dramatic.  I had trouble figuring out who Trixie was.  (She looks like a villain.)  Not impressing me yet.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 10:31:37 pm »
I forgot I made this topic.  I saw it yesterday.

I think if you were prone to seizures, you might have some watching this movie.  The colours!  The cuts!  The blurs!  Purely insane.  Some of the racing sequences looked like they could've come out of F-Zero, WTF at those loop-de-loops...

I liked it.  It's a fun flick.  It's not Shakespeare, of course, but who goes to movie theatres for that kind of thing these days?

Here's a music video:

Offline marioman

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 06:10:10 am »
JonLeung Said:
I think if you were prone to seizures, you might have some watching this movie. The colours! The cuts! The blurs! Purely insane.

Funny, I saw some footage of the movie the other day, and I thought the same thing.  All of the random colors all over the place made it really hard to follow.  But then again, we are talking about the Wachowski Brothers.  They do not make movies for storyline or continuity.  All that they care about is action.  :(

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 07:37:39 pm »
Yeah, that movie wasn't dark at all!  It was probably even more cornball than the original cartoon.