Author Topic: Super Mario World  (Read 20585 times)

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

Super Mario World
« on: June 10, 2008, 06:57:23 am »
You know those maps in the archive from Stefan Mahrla (sp?)? I was trying to make maps of a Super Mario World hack, by using the "Export Level to Bitmap" on Lunar Magic (a Super Mario World Editor) -- this is just for fun, and I'm not actually submitting it here (mostly because it's not a real game) .. but I was wondering, what is the best way to "arrange" the different individual "levels" for each whole ... "level"? You know like when you go down pipes, you go into different rooms? Of course, just lining up the entry pipe of one room with the exit pipe of teh room you came from, wouldn't be good, since the level may overlap part of the other level. You probably don't understand what I mean but ... <_<

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Super Mario World
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 07:12:21 am »
I thought that, for the most part, the choices we made when many of us worked on Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) worked out pretty well, with the pipes extended "outside" of the map pieces and all.  I think there may have been a fortress or two later on in the game where that didn't work perfectly, but you'd expect that as long as you have it fairly coherent, anyone looking at it would make sense out of it.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 08:01:47 am »
What if they are more or less linked in some places but some parts where you go UP a pipe, have to be placed BELOW because there's not enough room? Also, the one I made for the first level of a SMW hack, contains some screens all over the place with arrows showing where pipes lead to and from, and where doors lead to and from, etc.

I'll show you the picture later when I upload it.

Offline dbarrier54

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 12:37:04 pm »
Super Mario World is not finished

O 71-72 Levels Correct

X  1- 72 Wrong

Please Correct the following errors before Continuing

level error(s) Chocolate Island 2: Invalid Map

Offline Tropicon

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 02:38:56 pm »
Everything dbarrier54 says makes me LOL.

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 05:42:08 pm »
dbarrier54 Said:
Super Mario World is not finished

O 71-72 Levels Correct

X  1- 72 Wrong

Please Correct the following errors before Continuing

level error(s) Chocolate Island 2: Invalid Map

test

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 07:03:08 am »
It's an old bug that nobody feels like fixing.

Offline Revned

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 02:40:11 pm »
Especially since we're moving to new forums.

Offline Mahrla

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 04:09:16 am »
Finally, here is the improved map:

http://www.superplayers.de/stefanmahrla/misc/pics/SuperMarioWorld-World6-ChocolateIsland2.png

I hope now all maps are correct. Jonathan can also update the map on the page.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 09:47:43 am »
If not, I'm sure dbarrier54 will let us know soon enough.

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 03:07:56 pm »
I swear he just thinks he owns this place. Remember back in 2006? It wasn't "Can you do these maps?" it wasn't even "Do these maps", it was "I want these maps done by next week". He needs to learn to not tell people what to do. "Please do these before continuing". Why shouldn't we continue? It's not your site, or your map, is it?

Offline Revned

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 03:29:04 pm »
I seem to remember you doing some nagging of your own. Last time dbarrier54 was here it was really annoying, but so far he's only posted a couple of times. I'm pretty sure he doesn't read any of our posts.

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 06:37:20 pm »
Yeah I know but I only nagged when it's been months since they said it would be finished. Say, where has Fearnavigatr been anyway?

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 12:59:07 pm »
JonLeung Said:
I thought that, for the most part, the choices we made when many of us worked on Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) worked out pretty well, with the pipes extended "outside" of the map pieces and all.  I think there may have been a fortress or two later on in the game where that didn't work perfectly, but you'd expect that as long as you have it fairly coherent, anyone looking at it would make sense out of it.

I'd like to know something about these "extended pipes"... and how the rooms were layed out. Basically, how did you figure which positions to place rooms, especially in stages where there are lots of pipes that go from and to different rooms, (particularly 8-4 in SMB 1)? And how were the extensions made? Were they "cropped" from a pipe in some level, and then copied and pasted for the required length?

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 08:38:12 pm »
Just incase it gets buried with newer topics...

As you probably know, I'm trying to map out levels of a Super Mario World hack (or some hacks), just for fun (and to see how the levels actually look all at once).