Author Topic: Donkey Kong Country GBA World Maps  (Read 32333 times)

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

Donkey Kong Country GBA World Maps
« on: June 11, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »
I tried to have a go at mapping the entire map of the first world (Kongo Jungle), using the "Map Viewer" on VisualBoy Advance ... which unfortunately jumbles the map around, meaning I have to select bits, and move it to the bottom, since a bit of the bottom is at the top, and a bit of the left is at the right, etc. ... here's a little bit of what it's done, however it's no where near complete because I'm having a bit of trouble with the assembling part -- also, note that it's got bits of garbage which I don't understand somewhere in the picture as well...

http://h1.ripway.com/ukmidis/map3.PNG

as you can see, in the actual map part, down in the bottom-left corner, you can see it doesn't seem to "match" at all ... if I was to provide the un-assembled sections? Would it be possible for another more experienced mapper to not do, but just finish this? If that's not possible then, that's bad <_<

RE: Donkey Kong Country GBA World Maps
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 05:03:48 pm »
Anyone here????

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 05:53:46 pm »
Why's the canvas so large?

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline osrevad

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:38:02 pm »
Because he's still working one it.

Because of what he said in his post.

Because the SNES version's overworlds are completely different.

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 03:20:08 am »
Has any one actually looked in the map archive? Try looking in the Donkey Kong Country section, you'll find the answer to RT 55J's 3rd question "Why aren't you mapping the SNES version?"

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 04:00:53 am »
Just to clarify, when I said "there's lots of garbage which I don't understand", I don't mean I don't understand what they're doing them, I just mean I don't understand them.

And for the first paragraph in my post above -- I assumed that RT 55J meant all the overworlds -- I have actually mapped all the main maps bar one, for the SNES version, and have been in the archives since 2005... however, the one that I haven't done was ... <_< Kongo Jungle.

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 05:28:10 pm »
If anyone (including me), manages to complete this map, or other GBA-exclusive maps, since they're all different in the GBA versions of DKC 1 & 2, compared to the SNES versions, shouldn't you, Jon, or whoever, change the link in the GBA section, so that it does not say 'Remake of SNES version', and then links to the SNES version?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 09:39:35 am »
Technically, I'd like to help, but I'd need to actually play the game itself because I have to way to being sure you got every part of the map (unless you have all the raw parts unassembled in which case you should post it here).

However, I'm already caught up with other games I'm mapping at the moment (as well as being pretty occupied in real life) and I don't want to start feeling obligated to map this game because you're getting overenthusiastic (I'm referring to the Donkey Kong Land 2 thread). But I'm willing to help in my few spare time; just bear with me, as it won't happen overnight.

The best thing, as I said, would be to post all the unassembled map segments and I'll see what we can do about it.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 02:31:12 pm »
Ok. Hold on. Also, note that some if not all parts may appear more than once, maybe as much as 5 - 10 times, as I'm simply using the "Map Viewer" on VisualBoy Advance.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 05:02:54 pm »
Kongo Jungle & Monkey Mines

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 05:32:25 pm »
Cool... except I missed a bit at the bottom of Monkey Mines <_<

Can I ask, what's the easiest way of assembling unassembled screenshots? (What's the best program to use?) At the moment I only have Paint, but you can't open multiple pictures in the same window, so it gets messy... should I try PhotoShop or PaintShopPro?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 05:35:41 pm »
Good work RT_55J, that saves me a bit of trouble :).  The only nitpick I'll make is that the last 8 pixels wide column at the far right of Monkey Mines should be moved to the far left of the map.

Otherwise, the annoying thing is that, yet again, there's no way to see the whole map unless we figure a way to hack the coordinates of the player's sprite in memory. There are always empty areas.

---

Current projects: Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 06:06:13 pm »
Just so I'm clear, would you or anyone be able to assemble the 45 screenshots for the WL2 level? <_< And, if I used PhotoShop or whatever, would I be able to actually assemble screenshots (can you stretch the 'canvas' to extremely wide areas needed for such things), or is Paint really the best program for the actual assembling?

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 07:49:39 pm »
If the size of the canvas is the thing that's preventing you from splicing the screenshots, then I figure that I should let you know that the size of the canvas can be changed if you go to Image > Attributes. You can also select the entire image by left clicking. Honestly, it shouldn't be that hard.

---

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 06:56:23 am »
It's not so much the canvas, it's the actual assembling, or cutting parts out and moving them around... it's hard to do it with Paint, since when you 'select' and area, IT selects about a centimetre of extra around the edge, which is possibly what happened with you assembly of the Monkey Mines map.