Author Topic: Donkey Kong Country GBA World Maps  (Read 32342 times)

Offline Maxim

RE: Donkey Kong Country GBA World Maps
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 10:54:49 am »
Using Paint to make your images is like using Notepad to write a novel, or using calc.exe to manage your finances: it will work, but better tools exist.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 11:04:25 am »
There's a reason the zoom function exists.

Also, the problem with the Monkey Mines map was the result of that column of pixels being in the same image as the right side of the map.

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Online TerraEsperZ

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 11:19:36 am »
I have to disagree; when you're as keyboard oriented as I am, having a resource-light program like Paint with simple keyboard shortcuts works wonder for most maps.

I do use other tools for specific functions like removing specific colors in large quantity, transparencies, etc, but I always complete things in Paint. Now that I actually have a computer capable of running a more sophisticated program, I could try one, but I don't know which would be good enough for me, and I'm not willing to spend a couple hundred dollars only to go back to using Paint at the end.

There's Photoshop obviously, which might work if a  budget version without the more advanced and professional filter functions exists. I've used Paint Shop Pro in the past, and it wasn't bad, but doing the same thing as in Paint took twice as long and more mouse and keyboard manipulations.

It all comes down to keyboard shortcuts and simplicity to me. When I paste something, I expect the selected background color to disappear and the pasted area to appear at the top-left corner of the visible canvas. When I select an area and press DEL, I expect it to be replaced by the background color. That sort of thing.

To me, using Paint is like using a simple 5$ metal corkscrew to open a bottle rather than the aluminum-cast electric corkscrew that plays music and cost you 150$. Personal opinion of course :)

---

Current projects: Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 01:21:23 pm »
<_<.... and relating to the actual "collection of screenshots" of Wario Land 2 levels, to make the maps, how exactly do you go around taking screenshots of the level, using the simple "screen capture" method, without accidentally collecting coins etc? Are there any codes (Action Replay, Gameshark etc), that makes it so that Wario can not even collect coins? There's such thing as Invincible, i.e. not being able to get hit by enemies, etc. Also, what about hard to reach areas? How are they done? (And has Captain Drake been here lately? Since he'll probably know more than me, since he's already done the first 3 maps of Chapter 1, and all 5 of "Chapter 6" (well, I call it Chapter 6))

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 01:38:32 pm »
If you accidentally collect coins you should be able to add them in later. Coins that you accidentally collected can be added in later. Hard to reach areas can be done by guesswork or by using codes that alter the character's position or mobility (eg Moon Jump codes). The vast majority of 2D games are tile based, which makes this kind of stuff much easier.

Now my biggest problems are long repetitive corridors. I am never sure exactly how long the are. :P

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 01:40:57 pm »
You mean from the tilesets I gave of the level, about the corridors? The only way to actually explain that would be to actually play the level. Since I can't provide the ROM for obvious reasons, unless you have the game, there's really no way to explain.

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 01:50:30 pm »
Also, I tried using the "Wario Height in Air modifier" code, but it doesn't work. It says to use it in the "color" version, I need version 2.1 or higher of the cheat device. I'm using VisualBoyAdvance CE

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 02:23:07 pm »
Well it turns out Drake hasn't been here since January 31/February 1 -- but anyway, does any one know of any moon jump codes or codes that ACTUALLY WORK, that would help with reaching hard to reach areas?

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 02:27:12 pm »
I'd bet that you'd have more luck with a moon jump code.

Also, seriously try doing this yourself for once and post the results for us to critique.

---

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 02:40:39 pm »
OK, I'll try assembling the screens from what I have got.. then.

Offline Revned

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 05:28:24 pm »
Advice: Use the edit button instead of triple posting.

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 06:02:16 pm »
I knew that, Revned.

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 12:34:21 pm »
I'm probably only going to do that particular Wario Land 2 -- I've made a thread in Maps in Progress with what I've done so far <_<