Author Topic: KK: Destiny of an Emperor (NES)  (Read 10984 times)

Offline KingKuros

KK: Destiny of an Emperor (NES)
« on: August 01, 2008, 08:25:01 pm »
First let me say I know that someone named Thraxian started a thread on this game over 2 years ago but hasn't been heard since.

Using walk through walls (and over mountains and water), and no random encounter codes, I was able to map the world and some of the surrounding tilesets which will be removed from the submitted version.

Here is the scaled down map.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9629/doaemapiz0.png

So far, I've done the towns and caves up to Gui Yang.

Offline KingKuros

RE: KK: Destiny of an Emperor (NES)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 09:58:46 pm »
I'm now on the cave past Wu.

On the world map, for the bridges and other things that appear (or disappear) later in the game, I'll make them transparent by using the checkerboard method like we used in SMB3 and I used in The 7th Saga's Castle of Bilthem.

The bridge on the right in this picture is one of them.

User posted image

Offline KingKuros

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 06:02:24 pm »
I am now done mapping this game and all I got to do now is to label them.

As for the world map, I did trimmed it down to it's necessary size and removed the surrounding tilesets as well as a few other tweaks.

Offline KingKuros

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 07:36:19 pm »
I have sent the maps to Jon by e-mail. There will be 50 maps of this game already PNGGauntlet-ed.

The world map which I called Ancient China will have mountains and rivers extended to the left/bottom edge that I pasted over the tilesets as well as the water at the right edge.

I'm surprised that no one commented on this yet especially after a few complaints of low activity around here.  At least I still do a few sometimes.

-kk

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 10:18:01 am »
Hey dude, they are here, the maps. Yay! I always wanted to try and get into this game but for some reason I just couldn't Maybe now I can having the maps and all. I hate getting lost when there is no maps. These look pretty good. Although I could have used a few house labels, it's good otherwise. Nice job here.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 05:01:25 pm »
Sorry for not chiming in until now; I simply have no real knowledge of that game. I'll admit that the finished map of China looks really good; the sample posted earlier was difficult to understand because of the reduced size and all the garbage tiles on the edges.

---

Current projects: Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline KingKuros

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 05:31:02 pm »
Those surrounding 'garbage tiles' are actually 256 x 240 tilesets.  Those shown in the sample picture above is only a small fraction of how many there are.  They in of itself do seem to form interesting patterns though.  It goes a very long way across but eventually loops back.

128 horizontally
64 vertically
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:30:17 pm by KingKuros »

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 12:16:26 am »
Like in many games, the main map is most likely made out of individual screens that are 256 * 240 pixels in size. Since all those "garbage" screens appear to be in places not accessible to the player, I guess that those screens are not actively "set" in memory, so the screen loaded when they are visited through a cheat simply corresponds to whatever value is in memory. Reminds me of what happened when learning C++ on college when we would access a variable whose value had not been initialized beforehand; we'd get whatever value was in that memory location which could be anything.

---

Current projects: Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)