Author Topic: Transformers Movie discussion  (Read 177579 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Transformers Movie discussion
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 06:26:13 pm »
The scriptwriters (or at least a couple of them) are big Transformers fans so I thought it might be the case...just looking for confirmation, I guess...

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 07:06:17 am »
There's finally a more objective review of the script online at the following link:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-live-action-movie-2007-script-review.php

And frankly, this is about exactly what I was expecting from a live-action movie. Not entirely what I would *prefer* had I control of the project, but I'm not disappointed by a real re-imagining like this.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2006, 07:14:51 am »
Oh yeah, I should mention at this point that all I'm really looking foward to in regards to the movie are the new transformation designs and the movie toys.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 12:46:59 pm »
You would think Soundwave would be the one with a war injury that would prevent him from talking, if anyone has to.  Not Bumblebee.

Soundwave is more musically inclined anyway, he shouldn't have a mouth like they say he will (and his face plate could be part of that "war wound"), and his cheesy robotic voice might seem ridiculous by today's standards.  So if anyone has to be a mute-except-through-music, it should be Soundwave.

I guess the whole Bumblebee-not-speaking-except-through-his-radio thing is part of the whole human perspective of discovering the Transformers, and confirms that Bumblebee will be among Sam/"Spike"'s closest friends, but I think there could be a better way around it.  Supposedly Bumblebee changes forms later, according to the review you linked to, hopefully to a properly speaking Volkswagon Beetle!  But maybe something so simple is still asking for too much.

More dialogue for the Decepticons, please.  Starscream with only two lines?  That's only slightly better than Darth Maul, for crying out loud.  I can understand how they'd bother with a few non-conversational Transformers but Starscream was always a major part of several storylines and continuities.  Maybe we don't want to explore his whole desire to be Decepticon leader thing in the first movie, but he could at least have a bit of back-and-forth banter with Megatron, or ANYONE, for that matter.  Two lines.  Sheesh.  If Starscream doesn't say much and most Decepticons don't say much at all, they could easily add a couple more Decepticons by palette-swapping the model for Starscream to create Thundercracker and Skywarp.  Cheap, yes, but in my mind, preferable to the current Decepticon line-up.  The action probably involves their alt-forms to a great degree, though, so grounding most of the Decepticons makes things more fair.  Oh, except Megatron is a jet too.  *sigh*

I'm sure they wouldn't've gone for a live-action shot-by-shot recreation of "More Than Meets The Eye" (the first three episodes of the G1 cartoon) for a number of reasons but I think they could've kept things more true to the show (or other established continuities like the comics, even), especially the Decepticons.

RANT RANT WHINE WHINE, right?

(Judging by what people are able to come up with these days, someone may get around to making their own Transformers live-action fan film one day, I'm sure.)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006, 03:00:51 pm »
I'm thinking one possible reason behind Bumblebee not staying true to form (literally) could be rights. VW probably wanted too much control or kickback. This is a perfect vehicle for automakers to display some newer stuff, and automakers are probably combing the film with a fine tooth.

And I'll add the whine about Megatron being a jet. But, whatever. As long as its got action. Because it won't have the story.

You know, there's a point when you just stop calling it Transformers and start calling it Giant Fighting Transforming Robots. (I think that's why people get so defensive about stuff changing. If its going to change then you might as well call it something else. Like the original Punisher movie.)

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2006, 03:47:42 pm »
Yeah, but people would call it Transformers anyway.  (Not that I don't agree, though.)

It's like the Garfield movie.  Nothing like Garfield.  But if you had "Orange Cat Movie" people would wonder why it wasn't called Garfield.

I heard there's a Hong Kong-made Street Fighter II movie.  When they couldn't secure the proper rights they finished the film anyway, but with different names for the characters.  I should find that movie, sounds like one of those infamous things like the Star Wars Holiday Special.  It'd probably be better than the Hollywood-made Street Fighter movie, not that that would be very hard.  That movie too could've been "Lotsa Fighting Movie With Lotsa Characters".

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2006, 06:04:45 pm »
Apparantly, Volkswagen wants nothing to do with anything war related, which is why Bumblebee never had an Alternator made, despite a complete working design existing for him (shown in a japanese book about the Binaltech line). Like many German institution, they seek to distance themselves from anything that could bring back the memories of World War II (some NES games like Contra were completely censored because of Germany; that's why for example Contra in Europe is known as Probotector and all humanoids have been changed to robots).

As for alt-modes, the Dreamworks apparently has a deal with GM so expect many of their vehicles being used. And as for Megatron, a jet could be cool; Energon Megatron looked great as a gunship in addition to being a cool G1 Galvatron hommage.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 06:29:52 pm »
Oh man, I've just seen painted pictures for some upcoming Classic Transformers who were leaked from the Transformers Club's website to the net. Well, I'm excited about them, though I expect that most here won't be.

Anyway JonLeung, if you want to give me the ability to post pics and links, *now* would be the best time, since I'd really like to make this a visual post you know ;)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 04:49:39 pm »
Some pictures of vehicles used in the movie have been leaked to the net! On the following two links, you can find pictures of 'Brawl' the Decepticon police car with cool decals and insigna, a huge tank which looks slightly futuristic (probably the 'Devastator' from the script), and what will most likely be the banged-up run-down Bumblebee and his shiny new body!

http://www.tfw2005.com/pictures-from-the-transformers-movie-set.htm

http://www.pagenstecher.de/showtopic.php?threadid=136456&pagenum=1#2550049

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 05:39:12 pm »
User posted image

User posted image

I like how the Decepticon logo is there, but at the same time, "to punish and enslave" (which I assume is supposed to be a take on something like "to protect and serve" seems a little odd, cheesy even.

User posted image

And Bonecrusher actually has a decal that says "Bonecrusher"...huh.  Well, then again, I think some Transformers decide on new names after getting a new form, but correct me if I'm wrong - but that could be a reason.  Now while I still lament that Bumblebee isn't true to form, at least being yellow with black stripes makes his name make some sense.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2006, 09:19:24 pm »
The movie site is up!

That eye, which could be Megatron's, looks really scary and cool.

http://www.transformersmovie.com/

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2006, 09:35:05 pm »
Man, it didn't take long for those pics to be taken off the web. Too bad I missed them. But I did sign up for updates on the TF site.

---

Cool beans

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2006, 06:10:39 pm »
A picture of the Bumblebee animatronic (although obviously missing parts) have leaked on the Internet and I wanted to share this with you guys, to rejoice those who are looking foward to it and piss off those who are somehow enraged at the *obvious* violation of their beloved childhood!

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

User posted image

There seems to be a consensus among fans that he's lying on his back but beyond that, it's hard to make out much. Incidently, I really like the new style and I'm really looking foward to this movie!

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2006, 08:59:52 pm »
I wonder if there will be skinning process during post production. He's looking kinda 'plasticy' right now. And not very solid. Seems to be too much open space in his arms. Though you did say that the designs were going to be off from what we'd think they'd be.

Thanks for sharing :)

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2006, 09:15:59 pm »
I heard that Bumblebee is the only one they fully built, but most of the time, like the other Transformers in robot mode, he'll be CGI.

I don't think he looks that plasticy...but that's just me.  It could be the lighting, but I don't see how they wouldn't be able to afford making it out of the same parts as a Camaro.