Author Topic: Transformers Movie discussion  (Read 177382 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Transformers Movie discussion
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2006, 03:56:39 pm »
Man, this is a good week for leaks! Not only did we get to see several toy prototypes (which sadly don't do the movie designs enough justice), now we also get our first view of Barricade aka Evil Cop Car ("To Punish And Enslave"):

User posted image

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2006, 05:53:00 pm »
Though the quote is still ludicrous, I actually think Barricade looks really cool, now that I'm used to the whole "exposed parts" look.

I don't even mind the face which has a similar look as what we've seen as Megatron's supposed head.  Though I still think that Megatron - being Megatron, after all - needs a better look, especially the face.  Maybe they scrapped the designs for his face but ended up using it here for Barricade?  Or at least elements of it.  I wouldn't want Barricade and Megatron to look the same.  Another argument against Megatron's supposed face and also another reason why it hopefully won't be so.

I think I'll replace my old Wii desktop wallpaper with this shot of Barricade.  As always, thanks for sharing, Terra.

EDIT: I think another reason why I may be more accepting of Barricade's look is that until just now when I looked in Wikipedia, I wasn't aware of how the original G1 Barricade looked like.  He (or if you like, a Transformer with the same name) was a 1990 Micromaster race car toy who only appeared in the Dreamwave Comics' Micromaster series.  So he doesn't have the history (or fan-expectation baggage, if you prefer) that many of the other characters do.  No expectations = no disappointment in his design.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2006, 07:55:46 am »
No posting in almost two weeks?  :O

Approximately three hours until the full teaser debuts on Yahoo! here.

Stupid thing is I'll probably try to catch it ASAP except I'm at work so I'll see it but not have sound.  I'm fairly certain they won't have the same cartoony transforming sound but I'm sure I'll be curious if they did sneak it in there, or what transforming actually sounds like in the movie.  Or if they have part of the classic theme in there.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2006, 11:16:08 am »
Gah!  Turns out I can't watch streaming video at work, and I don't have QuickTime on this computer.  Or speakers.  >_<

I don't suppose someone can post a link to a downloadable .wmv or something?  Or I could wait six hours 'til I get home.  >_<

EDIT: I managed to get a peek here at the European site.  Looks cool, but it's not the same without the sound.  >_<  Should've had less shots of the humans.  >_>

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2006, 08:11:19 pm »
Saw it after work, and it's about what I was expecting for a Michael Bay movie. That said, the Transformers themselves move and transform pretty much as I expected them to, and I can't wait until  it comes out!

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2006, 09:26:32 pm »
Now that I've seen it with sound, I'm kinda thinking the trailer really should've had better music for the typical movie trailer montage sequence.  >_<  It was more exciting when I couldn't hear it and expected more.

The movie seems more "real" now, at least.  I'll be at the theatre in July.  I was going to be there anyway, though.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2006, 07:51:23 am »
Well, it's technically a teaser trailer, and since some of the CGI looks really unfinished, I'd assume the musical score is too. It does wet my appetite for the real trailer which will most likely come out in May or June.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2007, 07:49:40 pm »
Well a lot of things have been seen and/or revealed about the movie in the past few months though it was difficult to decide exactly what to post here, since most of it consisted of toy prototypes. Anyway, a couple of new pictures:

Autobot Bumblebee, CGI Render on Cover of Kids Book:

User posted image

Seriously, I'm liking the little yellow guy more and more :)

Autobot Optimus Prime, CGI Render on Cover of Magazine:

User posted image

Even though it's really dark, it looks a lot like the previous designs, only with better proportions I think.

Decepticon Barricade, Concept Design:

User posted image

I already posted a larger view of the upper body, but this is the first image of how Barricade is expected to look as a whole.

Decepticon Barricade, CGI Render on Cover of Kids Book:

User posted image

And he can even extend long pointy blades from his tires!

Decepticon Megatron, CGI Render (supposedly, though it doesn't look like it to me):

User posted image

And here he is in all his, er, badassitude? Seriously, the design isn't bad per say, but it just feels terribly unsatisfying. The dinky little fingers certainly don't help, and the lack of any obvious weapons and colors to help define his various shapes more really hurts. I do like the head though; it evokes the feeling of a screaming alien creatures just before it lunges at you to rip you to shreds, or at least the toothy grin does.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2007, 07:57:33 pm »
As has been said by someone on the TFW2005.com forums, Megatron's design is not a bad design, it's just not a good design for Megatron specifically.

I think the Autobots Vs. Decepticons "I Can Read" book looks a little scary.  Not only with "big" words like "Autobots" and "Decepticons" or the abbreviated "Versus", but Barricade about to claw someone on the cover is not something I would buy for my kids.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2007, 08:45:53 pm »
Well, it's 151 days until the movie, so here's some more stuff blatantly taken from TFW2005.

Starscream:

User posted image

Ironhide:

User posted image

I think both of these characters could've had some more red like their G1 counterparts.  Ironhide could easily be red even in truck mode, and Starscream could at least have a little red, you know, like the parts that would be hidden when he's in jet mode.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2007, 10:41:33 pm »
Two more designs have just been posted.

Frenzy:

User posted image

Bonecrusher:

User posted image

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2007, 07:49:27 am »
Wow, Frenzy is a robot chicken?  With General Grievous's four arms and shoots CDs?

Strangely, I'm not as surprised as I might be...

Well, I guess he's skinny because he's some kind of music-playing device, which likely isn't that large.  Not sure why they decided to go with the chicken-head.  If this really was going to be Soundwave, man-oh-man would there be way too much fan backlash.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2007, 01:34:42 pm »
Two more finalized CGI renders:

Frenzy:

User posted image

Megatron's Head:

User posted image

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2007, 03:26:55 pm »
As I said, good designs, just not good Transformer designs.  Ah, well, I'm getting tired of bitching about how they look.

I'm having difficulty imagining how large (or rather, small) Frenzy is supposed to be.  If he's a CD player like the current word is saying he is, without any mass shifting, he would be small.  I remember hearing how he would be 4 and a half feet tall, so like a very short person (or a little over two Fortress Maximus toys tall :P) but with all those parts, I'm having trouble imagining such smallness.

TFW2005.com has a size comparison with Ironhide standing next to a human, I'd like to see how Frenzy compares.

EDIT: Ah, here's the Ironhide pic I mentioned.

User posted image

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2007, 07:25:31 pm »
It's been a while since anything new has been posted, so here's a size comparison picture for the vehicle modes of the Autobots and a couple of Decepticons.

User posted image

No wonder they tried their best to make Prime grow  and Starscream shrink while transforming into robot modes....

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)