Author Topic: Peardian's map projects in progress and planned  (Read 262087 times)

Offline Trop

Re: Peardian's map projects in progress and planned
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2010, 10:00:39 am »
It's awesome!  You even marked it up with everything short of quest data.  The room interiors look cooky.  I always thought they were flat but I guess this is what you meant about those jpeg problems.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2010, 11:03:33 am »
Great work as always, but I've been wondering about some of those textures that look incredibly low-res compared to their neighbors, which also appear in your Paper Mario 64 maps. Are they really like that and only the N64's incredible "texture smoothing technology" can manage to hide it, or is it an artifact of the game engines where a lower resolution texture might be loaded while it's far away and you captured the 3D data at that moment?

Knowing your attention to detail, I'd guess it's the former but you never know... Also, feel free to chastise me if I've already asked that question earlier; it feels familiar for some reason but that might just be my weird brain...
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2010, 02:41:40 pm »
Those are all the actual textures. The N64's filter makes them look nicer. I just wish C4D could imitate the filter well enough and not make them look somewhat ugly. As far as I know, the N64 only loads low-resolution textures if it is part of a low-poly model, but even then it's just part of the model and not an effect.

I didn't get to rip the Deku Tree this weekend, so I won't have another chance for three weeks. Looks like I have more time to work on Yoshi then!
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Rew

« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2010, 10:24:44 am »
Wow, impressive stuff on OoT! Your maps of Kokiri Forest have exceeded my expectations. It looked painfully difficult to map, though. I don't envy you mapping the entire rest of the game.

And yes, I'm definitely looking forward to more Yoshi. =0)
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2010, 09:50:19 pm »
One of my classes for today was cancelled, so I spent the afternoon finishing YI 3-3! This means I've reached the third fortress in the game, and one of my favorites. No telling when I'll get around to doing it, but I know that when I do, I'll enjoy it greatly.

Also, in case you missed it, I made a map-related set of wallpapers, available in the Gaming forum.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:12:07 pm by Peardian »

Offline Rew

« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2010, 10:31:06 am »
Congrats, Peardian! Your OoT mapping project is being featured as news on ZU. =0)

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/zelda-news/ocarina-of-time-mapping-project/

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2010, 09:56:04 am »
Oh, that's pretty neat. :D Makes me wish I had ripped the next area so that I could be working on it. :P

I might get started on 3-4 this afternoon, depending on my mood. I am certainly looking forward to mapping one of the most unique fortresses in the game. An entire tileset, all to itself!
Edit: I played Cave Story instead. :P
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 08:57:12 am by Peardian »

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2010, 11:19:04 pm »
I ripped all of Inside the Deku Tree! This means I'll have it ready by Thanksgiving! I also have the next batch of figures ready, but you all will just have to wait until the map is done to see them. ;)

Edit: Finished fixing up the Deku Tree, and mapped all of 3-4. Wow, did it really take me a whole month to get around to it? This year is flying by.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:18:10 am by Peardian »

Offline Rew

« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2010, 12:17:22 pm »
World 3-4 looked great, and I can't wait to see inside the Deku Tree!

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2010, 11:56:15 am »
I finished Inside the Deku Tree and submitted it last night. It wasn't as easy to put together as I thought, but it was still quite fun. Next up is the wide open Hyrule Field. I'm currently enjoying my Thanksgiving break, so I don't plan on doing much. :P

Offline Trop

« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2010, 07:58:11 pm »
Do you think wide open will equal more or less difficulty?

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2011, 12:37:52 am »
It's already been up for a while, but I should mention that I finished Hyrule Field. Believe it or not, the render was so big, I had trouble saving it! I'm at the Market now, and it's certainly a handful. I've been working on it for the past few days. So many characters to fix up, so many fancy details to handle. It could take me all week to rip. I haven't even gone into the back alley yet!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:39:40 am by Peardian »

Offline Rew

« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2011, 08:49:31 pm »
Wow, these OoT maps are coming along faster than I thought! I love both Hyrule Field and the Market.

I noticed a couple minor issues with the Market, though: You included the interior of the Bombchu Shop on the top view but not the side view. Was that intentional?

Also, are you going to include the full Treasure Box Shop (with the Rupee-colored rooms leading to the golden reward room)? That's one of my favorite buildings in the town! I guess if you go that route, maybe you could include the expanded portion of the Bombchu Bowling Alley (behind the first wall)? But again, for all I know, perhaps all those things were left out intentionally. I was just sort of curious.

It all looks great so far, though!

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2011, 01:01:51 pm »
Those are all intentional. The entire bowling alley is all loaded, but the thing is, the middle wall is random, and both of the walls are paper thin. You wouldn't be able to see them in top-down view, and they'd obscure each other in side view. I chopped out the back portions to only show what it looks like most of the time. The Bombchu Market isn't there because, well, I can't figure out how to get it open. I tried using cheats to get quest items and go places, but the Shop Owner and the Bombchus haven't appeared yet. Without the owner, the collision model of the shop is pointless. I'm going to update the map as soon as I can find the guy. I'll just have to play it normally until the guy appears. As for the treasure box shop, I wasn't sure what to do. If I remember correctly, it will take up a lot of room, and mapping it would require me to actually win the shop game. I'll think about it. If anything, I'll still rip the rooms to show you.

I'd also like to mention that I left out characters in the main Market square who always move around, as well as Malon, since she's only there the first time.

Offline Rew

« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2011, 06:25:57 am »
That makes sense. As far as mapping the Treasure Box Shop, if you use the Lens of Truth, it's very easy to win. It might be big, but I think it'd be worth it if you're able to squeeze it in.

Can't wait to see more! I wonder when we'll see more YI maps too? ;-)