Author Topic: RE: Batman - Return of the Joker (NES)  (Read 20026 times)

Offline RT 55J

RE: Batman - Return of the Joker (NES)
« on: December 15, 2008, 06:22:08 pm »
This is the sequel to Sunsoft's first Batman game for the NES. On a technical level, this game is amazing, with lots of parallax, huge sprites, and good animation. Pictures don't do this game justice. It's a pity that the gameplay is rather iffy. :/

Stage 1:

User posted image

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 06:43:27 pm »
Looks great!

...And that's pretty much all there is to say. Technically, this map is perfect :)

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 06:49:39 pm »
If you want to get technical, I left out the left 8 columns of pixels at the vertical section and at the start, but that's only because it would be pure black anyways. :P

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 07:21:47 pm »
Sunsoft's graphics are great.  They bragged that despite being on the NES, this game had 16-bit graphics - and it really almost does look like it could be a Genesis game (though maybe the palette is still a little limited).

Are you mapping this because of The Dark Knight, recently released on DVD?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 07:29:25 pm »
The best part is there is a Genesis version, but it has worse graphics (too colourful) and worse music (Sunsoft worked magic on the NES in terms of music).

Kinda similar to how horrible the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy turned out on the SNES (god how they butchered the music and even removed the parallax background in some of the stages).

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline RT 55J

Batman - Return of the Joker (NES)
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 08:23:53 pm »
JonLeung wrote:

Are you mapping this because of The Dark Knight, recently released on DVD?

No, but that would make a good reason. I'm just mapping this because I've kept on hearing how good it looks, and I happen to have a lot of free time now. In fact, I never even played this game until this morning. :P

---

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 09:20:50 pm »
Stage 3 finished.

I must say that the beginning portion of the level is unbelievably unfair.

---

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 10:08:11 pm »
I played that game so long ago I didn't quite remember how difficult it was, but the Angry Video Game Nerd's overall Batman review reminded me...

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 11:50:51 pm »
Stage 4 finished.

I need to go to bed. :P

---

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 11:23:31 pm »
Stage 5 WIP

Stage 6

All that's left is one stage and the two shmup sections. I might actually finish this before the heat death of the universe (or big crunch or whatever). :P

---

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 04:25:24 pm »
Stage 7 and Credits

I included the credits in the map because I included the "Stage Clear" pictures in all of the other maps.

---

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 08:03:12 pm »
Funnily enough, I'm currently playing LEGO Batman.  The third chapter is called "The Joker's Return."

Whereas "The Riddler's Revenge" and "Power Crazed Penguin" have alliteration, the Joker with the less common "J" seems to prefer "returning".

I mean, besides this game you're currently mapping, and the LEGO Batman chapter, there's also the movie "Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker".

Offline Will

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 12:16:58 am »
There's a lego version animation of "The Dark Knight" on YouTube if you want to know on that scene where the Joker and his goons terrorise people at the party and he says "We are tonight's entertainment".

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 10:23:49 pm »
I'm just posting here to say that I finally finished mapping this game and have already submitted the maps to Jon.

---

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 03:45:46 pm »
Sorry for taking so long but I finally put them up today.

I checked the Game Boy game of the same name, which was also made by Sunsoft, but is actually an entirely different game.

I checked the Super NES version, titled Revenge Of The Joker, and it looks horrendous.  It looks like a cheap amateur computer game.  You can tell it was based off the NES game, but the choice of colours used to trace over the NES graphics gives it that gross look.  The title screen and "Stage #" screen look like very little work was put into them.  Sad-looking overall.

This also reminds me of two things...how George Lucas changed Revenge Of The Jedi to Return Of The Jedi, and in the case of the Game Boy, how the same name of a game doesn't mean it's the same game.  Kind of like how Battletoads on the Game Boy isn't the same as Battletoads on the NES (however, to add to the confusion, Battletoads In Ragnarok's World is).