Author Topic: Super Mario All-Stars  (Read 25762 times)

Offline Will

Super Mario All-Stars
« on: December 23, 2008, 01:20:14 am »
Though the game has been fully mapped and Zeric is to thank, there is however one side thing that could do with tending with. You know in Super Mario Bros. 2 (not the lost levels) sometimes when you pull something out of the ground,you get a potion which when thrown, creates a door and when you enter that door you go temporarily to mirror version of the World you're in. I wonder if the mirror version of the worlds could be mapped to indicate to players where to find the mushrooms that give you an extra heart so a potion won't be wasted. It would take ages to get those extra maps finish, but if anyone sees it well worth, sure why not?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Super Mario All-Stars
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 07:36:41 am »
It wouldn't take ages.  It could be indicated simply where the Mushrooms are, and if you really wanted the entire dark side mapped, you could probably just mirror the existing map and use Revned's Tile Slicer/Splicer if it's anything more than a dark silhouette.

Either way, if done so, it should be added to the map, rather than having a separate image.  No one really traverses the dark side other than for the Mushrooms or Warps anyway.  And the Coins would be obvious.

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 05:34:51 pm »
Yeah, the part that might take a while is FINDING all the mushrooms, making sure to check every screen where a potion is available to make sure you didn't miss one.  Almost every level has 2 mushrooms, but a few of them have only 1, so that makes it more confusing.  And then Super Mario Advance is different...

Offline piken

• Author of BgMapper utility for ZSNES savestates
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 01:20:55 am »
It looks like all the mushrooms are already indicated half translucently on the main levels (at least, all the ones I recall from the subworld are present and accounted for). Does the advance version scramble them all around?

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 05:28:11 pm »
I swear the first level (1-1) has like 3 or 4 mushrooms. I've started with 2 bits of health and finished with 5.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 05:38:20 pm »
There's two.

I'm pretty sure me and my brother found all the mushrooms in the game long before the age of the Internet.  And now that there is the Internet, you could always resort to GameFAQs.

And piken is right...you wouldn't even need to go there if you were looking at the existing maps anyway, as Zeric has already indicated them on the maps here on VGMaps.com.

So seeing as how it's not a mystery...

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 07:19:36 am »
Does getting all 5 Ace coins give you an extra health? If so that may explain how I remember ending up with an extra health bit.

Will

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 07:03:54 am »
This is a funny topic because the maps already show where the mushrooms are so there's really nothing to discuss, and then you're squabbling about something that can easily be looked up.

But for the record, no, you can't get five units of health.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 09:39:14 pm »
Well, you do bring up a point, TUK...Super Mario Advance's Red Coins and Yoshi Eggs would give this version of Super Mario Bros. 2 a reason to be mapped since those would be things the All-Stars version doesn't have.

At least, I don't think it does...

There are actually some minor differences between the All-Stars and Advance versions of the games, actually.  Just because one is mapped doesn't mean it's a perfect map for the other.

TheMushroomKingdom.net doesn't have a list for any possible differences in the Super NES to GBA versions of Super Mario Bros. 2, at least not that I can find at this moment, but it has several listed for Super Mario Bros. 3.  I didn't think there were so many...  I felt pretty proud about noticing a couple changes without even looking for them when I played Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3; for example, I noticed the second one listed here for World 7's 2nd fortress...  o_0

Offline Maxim

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 06:20:29 am »
It sucks when they make games easier. Some SMS games halve the HP of every enemy/boss when played on a non-Japanese console...

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 02:45:57 am »
Super Mario Advance actually does have 3 mushrooms in most of its levels, if I recall correctly, but then 2 of them are replaced by Yoshi eggs for the big egg hunt.  So the egg mode is also a hard mode because you get fewer mushrooms!

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 07:14:02 am »
I had actually considered mapping the normal levels of SMB3 in SMA4 with the special e-reader switch turned on, the one that makes vegetable sprouts show up a la SMB2. It would not only give a chance to map all the subtle changes made in the level design.

However, I'd prefer not to think about it right now since my plate is full already and just consider SMA4's new content complete for now. Besides, how many of you even knew there was a switch card that did that?

---

YTT (34%) - WL4 (64%) - PM (36%) - YI (11%) - SMRPG (0%)
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Will

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 08:46:09 am »
Peardian, don't mind me asking but why would you want to work on Super Mario RPG, when you've done it? My guess is that you're intent sooner or later on making ripped maps of the Midas Waterfall, the Midas River and such like, because there are only original maps of these locations. Improvement is always a good idea.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 11:46:47 am »
I'm not going to redo SMRPG from scratch, I'm just going to combine rooms together on one image instead of having each one a separate file, add enemy stats, and fill in the missing gaps with the new SMRPG editor, Lazy Shell. Plus, yes, I will be able to actually rip Midas Falls instead of making a custom one. I'll even be able to rip the little side-tunnel rooms to go with it. However, chances are Midas River might stay as it is. The actual "map" itself, just like Booster Hill, is really just a tiling image.

---

YTT (34%) - WL4 (64%) - PM (36%) - YI (11%) - SMRPG (0%)
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 02:20:15 pm »
The end pieces...?