Author Topic: RE: Paper Mario maps: .PNG to .JPG?  (Read 29813 times)

Offline Tropicon

RE: Paper Mario maps: .PNG to .JPG?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 09:06:45 pm »
This may sound like a stupid question but where is the dump feature in 1964?  I can't seem to find a reference to it in the help files.

Offline Revned

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 10:35:00 pm »
It's not part of the emulator, it's the graphics plugin. I forget the name, but I'm pretty sure it works in Project64 and Nemu64 as well.

Offline Tropicon

Paper Mario maps: .PNG to .JPG?
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 12:20:37 pm »
..... It works! This is awesome.  And I see what you meant by quite a bit of work.

Heh heh, does this look familiar to anyone?  You guys seem to love this series around here.

http://www.vgmapper.com/sysN64/CVexample.png

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 11:32:59 am »
I'm afraid I don't recognize that game at all. :(

By the way, as I'm ripping this stuff, do any of you have 3D programs and/or would like the model files? It would be best if you had Cinema 4D since that's what I use (and it seems .3ds files exported from C4D can't support things like alpha channel, seamless tiling (for half-textures), multiple textures on one object, and other stuff to make the object look like it does in-game. Without C4D, the variety of models I can give you becomes pretty limited.

I can give you anything used in my Paper Mario maps so far, as well as some stuff from the beginning of a few other N64 games:

-Majora's Mask

-Space Station Silicon Valley

-Super Smash Bros.

-Tetrisphere

-Star Fox 64

---

YTT (34%) - WL4 (60%) - PM (36%)
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Tropicon

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 03:16:47 pm »
Oh come on, it's Castlevania 64!  That's Carrie at the beginning of the first level.

I made that with Cosmo Player.  It's the first thing I found when I looked for VRML viewers.  I'll look up Cinema 4D.  TR64 OpenGL sure is picky about it's "uCode", I still can't load Turok 3 because of it.  As for other games I lean more towards the odd ones.  I tried out Castlevania 64, Shadow Man, Aidyn Chronicles, Banjo-Kazooie (works great), Duke Nukem Zero Hour, and a bunch of others.

I did try out Majoras Mask and it worked fine but when I do Zelda maps I do them off the original in game maps not off screen captures.  I've already done some of Majoras Mask and Twilight Princess this way this way and all of Link to the Past.

Speaking of textures I can't seem to rip them, the thing just crashes.  What file extension would they be called anyway?  Also I don't know if Cosmo Player will like texture injections.  But I did just get it after all so I don't know that much about it yet.  I'll keep experimenting.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 10:41:37 am »
Oh, I've never played any Castlevania games. Not really my taste.

C4D is an expensive program, but if you can get it, it's very powerful. It's a full-fledged professional modeling/animation program. And, because of that, it's not the easiest thing to just pick up and make maps with. I've had it for almost a year now and am still learning stuff.

Depending on which emulator you used to dump the VRML, the textures will either be named with a large hex value or a number, but either way the color and alpha channels will be separate.

Just to let you know, I do have my sights set on mapping both 64 Zelda games, but I won't stop you if you get to mapping them before me.

---

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 12:07:46 pm »
Peardian Said:

GASP.

Though, while such a statement is typically inexcusable, I won't fault you for not recognizing the N64 game.  Actually, there's two.  You can pretty much skip those ones if you ever do decide to play them.  >_>

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 03:09:08 pm »
JonLeung Said:
Peardian Said:

GASP.

Though, while such a statement is typically inexcusable, I won't fault you for not recognizing the N64 game.  Actually, there's two.  You can pretty much skip those ones if you ever do decide to play them.  >_>

I love Metroid and games like it, but uh I'm a tad squeamish and really don't like rotting corpses, bloody ghouls, buildings made out of skulls, humanoid monsters and the like. It's not the gameplay, it's the subject.

---

Offline Tropicon

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 05:37:11 pm »
Don't think I ready to go as far as a new program.  I can't really do Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask until I finish my Twilight Princess work, and that will take forever so I'll probably never get back to it.

Why does everybody hate the N64 Castlevanias?  I liked them.  How else are you gonna do a 3D Castlevania?

If you don't like gore I bet you stay far away from games like Doom.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 06:25:06 pm »
Add another vote to the N64 Castlevanias. Legacy Of Darkness more so than Castlevania since it's a much more polished game, but I like them both, and they feel closer to the universe of the old NES and SNES games than all the newer 3D games which are way too Japanese in style to my liking.

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 06:52:25 pm »
Well, to each their own, Peardian.  But I don't really consider Castlevania games horror games.  They don't really try to be scary.  I certainly don't think so.  The games just happen to have classic and mythological monsters.

And after playing Konami's true horror franchise, Silent Hill, I don't even find Resident Evil scary at all.

If you want to talk about crappy Castlevania games, there's Judgment, which I played recently.  But at least find the soundtrack...it's rocksome!  It's like official remixes of tunes from the various Castlevania games.  Also, Legacy Of Darkness fans should be happy that Cornell is in this game and is actually pretty cool.

But, now we're really off-topic.  We can debate whether or not we like Castlevania, but that's all opinion.  I say it's FACT that .PNG is better than .JPG.  :P

And it sounds like I should at least be a bit more familiar with this VRML stuff.  I don't know that we will ever map all of the 2D games there are, but we will reach a point where we would've mapped all the ones that anyone cares to map, and then we'll have more 3D maps, or at least more interest in them, I'm sure of it.  There will come a day when people who grew up in the N64 and PSX era will become nostalgic and more interest will be there...if there isn't already.  Boy, I feel old, when people talk about N64 "classics".  I still think Pok?mon is a "new" Nintendo franchise but it's already over ten years old...  o_0