Author Topic: Restored Access / New Forums?  (Read 44709 times)

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

RE: Restored Access / New Forums?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 06:29:58 am »
Yes it does. If JonLeung's #1, that makes him superior to all of his little minions.. er... members. <_<

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 06:59:27 am »
>_>

Just thought I'd ask, seemed like a good time as any to ask if I ever were to.  :P  If not (because I expect we'd probably transfer the user IDs as they are), no big deal.

Less frivolous things I'd rather see:

-a link back to VGMaps.com from the forums

-the footer ad seen on every other page on VGMaps.com also on the bottom of the forums

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 12:31:39 pm »
Might have to keep the IDs the same to keep the associations with posts, but I may move the users over first, then grab the IDs from this forum and move the posts one user at a time, updating the associated userID during the process.

So, yeah, we'll see...

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 12:54:32 pm »
Well, if it's too much trouble, and/or could potentially mess things up, don't risk it on my behalf.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 10:46:09 am »
Well fellas, the new forum database is quite a bit different than this one. Its not going to be a simple manner of moving things over into the correct spots, mainly due to the way user passwords are encrypted.

I could have you all create new accounts using the same usernames you have now, but there will still be users who haven't checked in a while who will be left out. And that will create gaps in the messages.

So, the boards need to be updated but we will have to agree on the loss of current posts. I'm not saying we have to completely remove the posts. This forum can be disabled as far as new posts go and you can come in anytime to find whatever info is here.

Ultimately its up to Jon. I'll hang back till he speaks. (Check your PMs Jon)

Offline Revned

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 03:01:37 pm »
If it's just the passwords, can't you assign new ones and email everyone?

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 03:29:58 pm »
Hmm... maybe. It salts the password and I have to see how the salt is generated.

---

Cool beans

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 05:42:02 pm »
Wait what does salt mean?

Offline Revned

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 06:01:30 pm »
You usually don't store users' passwords in plain-text, otherwise the database administrators would have access to them. I don't know about you, but I don't really want Jon to know my password. Instead the system stores a cryptographic hash of the passwords, which makes it very difficult to find the original passwords.

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 08:07:36 pm »
Hey, were members 255, 257, 258 and 262 removed on purpose, or lost by accident?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 08:07:48 pm »
Well, bustin's doing all the unsalting anyway.  Besides, if I really wanted to login as you, there are other methods of accomplishing that even without knowing your password.  >_>

In any case, you're just trying to figure out how the salt is generated, not specifically to snoop out passwords, but so you can apply the same salting to transfer the passwords over, I'm guessing.  That doesn't necessarily have to involve seeing the passwords yourself, does it?

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 08:19:03 pm »
It's probably best I don't post in this topic.

Offline Revned

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 09:14:42 pm »
No, there isn't an easy way to get the passwords back. Cryptographic hashes are intentionally very difficult to reverse. And it's not that I don't want you logging in as me, it's that I use this password elsewhere and I don't want anyone else seeing it.

Since bustin98 can't get our actual passwords back and since he can't transfer the hashes over, I suggested that he gives us all new passwords which we can manually change later.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 12:18:05 am »
We'll see. I certainly won't be doing it be hand, so say hello to randomly generated strings of letters and numbers.

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 08:21:33 am »
Okay, so assuming you can deal with the password issue, does that mean you can transfer the users over, and hence the user-post association, and then likely move us over to new forums without losing any posts?