Author Topic: VGMaps RSS feeds  (Read 30068 times)

Offline Maxim

VGMaps RSS feeds
« on: May 19, 2009, 07:36:15 am »
Obviously this site is from 1995 so there's no RSS, but there are scraping services out there, and http://feed43.com is a really nice one. So:

http://feed43.com/vgmaps.xml - Front page updates

http://feed43.com/vgmaps-forums.xml - Forum posts

Add them to your RSS reader (e.g. Google Reader) and enjoy.

If the forums change, or whatever weird way the updates page is generated is changed, then these will break. Also, they're publicly editable so someone could screw them up. But it's nice to have RSS.

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: VGMaps RSS feeds
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 09:56:29 am »
I've never really used RSS. Heck, I'm not even sure what it is exactly, except in a very broad sense.

*sigh* I'm getting older and I'm starting to lag behind in terms of technology...

---

Current projects: Aria Of Sorrow (GBA), Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 11:05:31 am »
I'm debating whether or not to high-five TerraEsperZ since I've never been an RSS user but that might me look bad, especially if anyone actually expected me to be web-savvy.

But then again I'm sure everyone already knows I'm not as web-savvy as I ought to be...

Looks good, I guess.  Is that fully automated?

Offline Maxim

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 11:28:05 am »
It should be automatic, but it is screen-scraping so there's plenty to go wrong, and it scrapes quite infrequently (every 6 hours), so it's not much good for fast updates.

If you use Firefox, you should be able to click on the links and choose what to do. I put them in Google Reader and have them show up on my iGoogle homepage, but you can add them as "Live Bookmarks" in Firefox and get a funny menu thing instead.

Real RSS would be better, but as I said, this site is from 1995 :)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 03:00:17 pm »
I've never gotten in the habit of using RSS.  A lot of the sites that have RSS feeds update fairly frequently and I don't really a need to be alerted, and the sites that don't update a lot don't seem to have feeds.

Offline Revned

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 04:23:08 pm »
I guess if you have a lot of sites you follow RSS is good, but I prefer to read the actual sites. Everything looks the same in RSS mode.

Offline marioman

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 06:52:24 am »
Nice!  I have been wishing for a set of VGMaps.com RSS feeds for a long time.  Thanks Maxim.

Offline marioman

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 12:57:57 pm »
The main VGMaps feed (vgmaps.xml) seems to be empty.  Any idea what is going on?

Offline Maxim

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 05:37:08 am »
I don't know what was up with it - I went into the editor and pressed Preview and it worked.