Main Boards > VGMaps Social Board

VGMaps.com site issues - but now, a new host!

<< < (3/3)

JonLeung:
Even if the parentheses being a problem due to new security measures is true (though you get why I doubted it after hours of them telling me the site was fine when I could clearly see it wasn't), it was a major change that they should have given me a heads-up about, especially after they specifically said they would do that, after a change that crippled the forums last November.

The chat staff was more useless than the techs, and I probably should have clued in earlier to call them instead of depending on the chat.  Either way though, there was an awful lack of empathy whenever I started a chat or call with "I've been asking about this for (X) hours now..."

I actually did make clear whenever I went ALL CAPS in the chat or said something snide in the call (but again, I didn't insult or swear) that my frustrations were not directly towards anyone I was talking to, and that I just wanted my site fixed.  I didn't want my rudeness to be a reason for them to not want to help me.  They never did explain why my IP was being blocked, though.

The giving of the discounts and then taking them back was bad.  The other compensation, only three months?  I've been a longtime customer, so, still bad.  The lack of apologies, very bad.  They couldn't even say "sorry for any inconvenience".

Yes, I know about Hanlon's Razor: "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".  As in, it is possible they are just dumb as opposed to being evil.  Still, the fact that the GoDaddy founder seemed to enjoy shooting elephants means that at least one of them is evil.  I never understood hunting.  You want to prove your manliness?  Tangle with a wild animal head-on, then.  Cowardly hiding, unseen and with a gun, shooting it from a distance, is not a sport.  Ugh.  That's a whole other thing, perhaps, but whatever.

We now have a faster server, I can depend on Vince for any tech support, I know everything is fine now in time for the 20th anniversary next month, so we're definitely in a better place than if I stuck with GoDaddy.

ReyVGM:
Yeah, the phone people are not evil, they are just clueless because whoever works on the servers or security are not the same as the customer service reps or even tech support. Whatever changes are made in the backend, are normally not trickled down to customer service (or at least, not immediately). Although, for a company that provides server space, then they really should communicate that ASAP to everyone. However, that's not the reality. Corporate decisions are usually very detached from customer service.

I don't know if you've worked taking calls, but it's a horrible soul-draining job. I hated every minute of the many years I spent working that field and hopefully I never EVER have to rely on it ever again.

People that call customer service think the rep has the power to do anything they want or solve any issues, and that's just not true. You are only as powerful or knowledgeable as the tools or info you're given. If the company gives you limited powers and no info, then you can't really help people with more advanced issues.

But whatever, in the end, it turned out to be a positive. If the site had kept working the same slow way as it has since forever, you probably would have not made the server change. But now you did, and it's all better.

Grizzly:
This is very great to hear. This should have fixed the upload issue, too, I assume, because it was all because of some GoDaddy post processing after upload for "security reasons"?  ::)

Oh, because I see it now in the other thread: The decoding of the database-stored post texts got wrong. It interprets the UTF-8-stored text as ANSI, resulting in outputting the special U+00C2 letter that denotes the begin of a two-byte long character.

The following character is to test what happens during encoding: Ꭿ.

JonLeung:
Well, regardless of the upload issue we had with the Genesis's index.htm on the GoDaddy system, now that we're on a new server from a different provider and everything has been freshly uploaded, it's no longer a concern.  I recall it wasn't a concern before that though, probably GoDaddy changing things on their end (and of course not informing me).

Some non-standard characters will be an issue just about anywhere, though.  Yesterday I had to fix Lüt's username when I noticed that this topic about the August 2021 Maps Of The Month featuring Lüt's maps for Lunar: Eternal Blue had the name garbled up.  I guess the transition didn't translate that umlaut correctly.  It's a valid character, just needed to be manually fixed.

Let me know if you guys see any other strange characters.  I know I still have to clean up a few instances of "Pokémon", which shows up as either "Pokémon" or "Pokémon".

Also, this morning, I officially cancelled and deleted my subscriptions/products off of GoDaddy.  Should have done that earlier.  But now for sure I am disconnected from them.  Good riddance.

bustin98:
Just stopping in to report I cleared up some other issues. Some things which should have been, should now be active.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version