Author Topic: Weird video about video games  (Read 11623 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Weird video about video games
« on: July 12, 2009, 09:59:20 pm »
Interesting video, showing the evolution of video games...I guess?

The beginning part with Pong I thought could have been trimmed down a bit.  It didn't need to be a whole minute long...  And the last part just after introducing Lara Croft was a little awkward.  But everything in between is pretty neat.

Offline DarkWolf

RE: Weird video about video games
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 04:29:39 am »
Wow, that's 5 minutes of my life I won't get back.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 06:57:40 am »
Come on, you have to admit that most of the animation is pretty sweet.

In the Monkey Island segment, I'm sure there has to be some custom spritework for Guybrush in there, but with the smooth animation, it's difficult to tell.

I've always wanted to do something similar, but it would be nice if there were NES/Super NES emulators that can output a sequence directly into a bunch of image files, one per frame, to be sure I'd get the animations correctly before modifying them.  I suppose maybe if one outputs to uncompressed .AVI which can then be exported into frames for editing...hmmm, maybe that would work.  Wait, does ZSNES have prerecorded input playback that can be combined with its "menu-pause then take screenshot then advance one frame" thing?  That might work too.  But making a whole video is just one of those things I'd like to do, but probably don't have time for...  I mean, if I did this, I'd have to put in some time and effort, not like the hundreds of lame video game parodies on Newgrounds...sure, there are some good ones, but many are just crap.  So time is probably the biggest issue.  Of course, maybe if I didn't play so many video games...  :P

Ironic that my addiction to video games are preventing me from making a tribute to them.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 08:14:26 am »
The animation and artwork is really great, but the direction wasn't really to my taste (i.e. "everybody humps someone or something tonight"). It's sad because in my opinion, it greatly reduces the overall quality of the piece.

---

Current project: Not sure yet

Upcoming project: Not sure yet either
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 04:08:35 pm »
The other games look like they were represented fairly well, but the Doom segment was totally off.  Even if the animation is good, it didn't really offer anything else.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 04:12:02 pm »
"Wasted talent" pretty much summarizes the video.

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 04:41:58 pm »
I'm sure you could ask the people who are working on the FCEUX project to add a feature to automaticly save each frame as an image.  They helped me out when I asked to be able to customize the BG color when turning of the BG layer so I could more easily capture sprites.  You can contact them through their website: http://www.fceux.com/web/htdocs/

Offline Maxim

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 02:43:02 am »
Doesn't it support recording video? All you need is a lossless codec.

Emulators which support direct sprite ripping (assembling the tiles for you) are more interesting.