Author Topic: Since books are all the rage, I decided to buy some.  (Read 25982 times)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
RE: Since books are all the rage, I decided to buy some.
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 03:08:09 pm »
Who isn't a Far Side fan? Everyone can find at least 10 strips that will make them laugh. Far Side and Calvin & Hobbes are the golden age of modern strips.

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2006, 03:25:28 pm »
I got the Complete Calvin & Hobbes as a REALLY late Christmas present that ended up arriving shortly before my birthday in April.  Good stuff.

Offline Revned

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2006, 04:56:13 pm »
I would have gotten that too, but I already had all the paperback ones.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2006, 06:18:00 pm »
I'd love to get the Complete Calvin & Hobbes but it's a bit expensive.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Thraxian

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2006, 08:29:36 am »
I have the 3 Myst books at home in hardback.  They are nice and look great on the shelf.  I'm tempted to buy some book pedestals, put them in my office, and get some spotlights to shine on them :)

The Myst series is very enjoyable.  It reads very quickly (I could finish all 3 in a single weekend, and I don't speed read), and really draws you in.

I'm tempted to pick up Flatland and the sequel.  I saw something about them on the internet, and they look interesting.  

Offline Revned

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006, 10:48:47 am »
If you don't want to actually go out and spend money, you can read it here: http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/~banchoff/Flatland/

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2006, 06:05:51 pm »
The books I mentioned in the first post arrived in the mail today.  I skimmed through the Transformers one.

Definitely lots to read and look at, but I was hoping it would be more like a book I saw my friend had - a Japanese book all about all of G1, with pictures of probably every toy in every mode.  Of course, without being able to read Japanese, it'd be more of a book for browsing.  That had a focus on toys, whereas this Ultimate Guide tries to cover everything.

This "Ultimate Guide" has a severe lack of Hot Rod.

I guess it is the best Transformers book I have (probably the only one, actually, other than one storybook I have (had?) about how the Autobots meet Wheelie) but I think if someone spent a lot of time on it, a better-than-Ultimate Guide could be written.  And I'd buy that too.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2006, 08:26:14 pm »
JonLeung, you're talking about Transformers Generations, and I have that one too. If all you're interested in is the G1 and G2 toys, this is the one to get. It also has a lot of concept art for most of the characters in the US and Japanese cartoons and Japanese comics. Of course, I can't figure out what's written on any page, but it's still cheap for a lot of pretty pictures.

The second editions also includes several more pages of concept art for the toys.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)