Author Topic: Eye of the beholder  (Read 19234 times)

Offline Will

Eye of the beholder
« on: August 08, 2009, 02:20:14 am »
As you may have noticed I have finished the mapset of SNES Eye of the Beholder. Yet somehow I just do not find my work complete enough for certain reasons:

1. Was each square 25 X 25 a good scale or would a bigger scale be easier to understand?

2. While most of the icons make sense, some like the Leech icon (Level 1), and the Xorn Icon (Level 11) I am not proud of, because they don't make a proer resemblence to the monster.

3. The floor terrain is okay for the first three levels and the last level, but the others are really not that good, due to the fact is couldn't really design fitting scaled floor tiles.

4. I very uncertain about the accuracy of my information. While I've been able to compile a lot of secrets and positions in guides and walkthroughs, I don't know if it applies to other versions besides the SNES version.

5. I have no idea how understandable, helpful and useful people would find those maps, its quite immeasurable from where I stand.

My intentions are that the SNES mapset be scrapped once I replace them with PC version maps. What is more I think extracting the Sega CD maps was a waste of time, being vague maps and its definitely not fit to remain. Before I begin remakes for the PC version I'd like some suggestions on square scale and how icons, floor textures and indications can be improved.

Offline snesmaster

RE: Eye of the beholder
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 08:39:11 am »
I would like to offer suggestions, however I went to the SNES section and I don't see Eye of the Beholder listed.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Eye of the beholder
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 09:43:41 am »
Remember, people...full titles.  It's here under "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Eye Of The Beholder".

I hate how some versions don't have the "Advanced" sometimes too, to make it more confusing.

Offline Zetta

Re: Eye of the beholder
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 03:30:02 pm »
I swear that game has the longest title in the history of long game titles.

Its sequel's title is even longer if you can imagine. I heard it was called 'Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Eye of the Beholder II -- The Legend of Darkmoon' or something like that. Now that's a real mouthful. Much longer than 'Kid Kool - and the Quest for the Seven Wonder Herbs'.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 03:32:38 pm by Zetta »

Offline Will

Re: Eye of the beholder
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 11:01:14 pm »
I am beginning work on the PC version of "Eye of the Beholder". Before I resume my work, I'd like some opinions and feedback on the first level. There are several things you will notice that are different from the SNES map:

1. There are many more detailed objects such as sewer grates, levers and buttons.
2. Groups of monsters are placed in a room one by one, huddled up next to each other instead of a number underneath a single monster.
3. The positions of the items and much more organised and carefully placed.
4. The variable walls are shaded yellow instead of red (which would be camouflouged in the reddish-brown wall blocks).
5. The leeches have a much more appropriate appearance
6. There is no key to denote the objects. I shall be having creating a key in a seperate image to denote all 12 level objects in a nutshell.

Looking forward to a reply. I personally believe the DOS maps are going to turn out better than the SNES ones.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:31:52 am by Will »