Author Topic: Lufia & The Fortress of Doom (SNES)  (Read 43134 times)

Offline FlyingArmor

Lufia & The Fortress of Doom (SNES)
« on: January 04, 2010, 07:39:09 pm »
Hey~ Got around to working on mapping again. :D

Over the past half year or so, I've been slowly mapping nearly every area in the game, and now I'm playing through the game again to label all the treasure chests. Until I find some sort of code that will allow walking through walls, I'll only be able to post caverns, towers, and towns that don't have exorbitant amounts of trees in them. There's no way I'm gonna post maps with huge gaping holes, haha.

Also, I opted to use legends instead of labelling each chest individually; you'll see why with the Old Cave maps. ;)

Oh yeah, might as well give the link for the world map I did a while ago: https://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/Lufia&TheFortressOfDoom-World.png

Offline Trop

Re: Lufia & The Fortress of Doom (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 02:57:57 pm »
Walk through wall codes are almost infinity impossible to make.  It's been a few years so refresh my memory, at any point do the characters pass through walls with no codes on?  For example when you use a high stepper to jump up or over things in Secret of Mana you're technically walking through walls.  If there's anything like that in Lufia I may be able to freeze it in the on.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 06:27:16 pm »
I imagine it might be as simple as suppressing the part of the code that prevents players from moving forward when an obstacle is in their path. Depends on how complex the engine is.

Very nice maps, by the way. I can definitely see why you chose to use a legend. :P
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Trop

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 08:13:07 pm »
I once talked with a hacker who taught me to do something close to that using Geiger's debugger.  But first I have to find X Y coordinate codes with the regular old ZSNES and my first attempt failed.  I also tried to make an "always moving forward" code, because in Lufia you don't just start walking you move into the next available space on an invisible grid.  This too fell flat.  Embarrassingly I even failed to make a walk through walls code in Lufia 2 using Maxim's jump ability.  Unfortunately I'm just no good at understanding the finer points of computer code.  I've done everything I've done with my ability to do things wrong in so many different ways I eventually get it right.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:35:50 pm »
Well, there is the invisible bridge in the Ghost Cave, so maybe that's something to look at.

I've been using the game genie code B689-DF69 to help map the towns. It's meant so you don't encounter any enemies, but it also disallows you from entering and exiting towns, caves, etc. So when I enable it in a town, I can walk over the tiles that would usually take me to the overworld and be able to see the outermost boundaries. I've got a screen shot below that shows you what you see. If you walk into the black void (in this instance) it'll take you up to the castle entrance (so in essence, the map wraps around itself). But in other areas I found I could keep walking and end up in other areas altogether.

But of course all that doesn't help me walk through trees... XD I've also posted a map of Alekia with the best completeness I could muster.

Thanks Peardian. It definitely keeps things clean and tidy, haha. :)

Offline Maxim

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 01:31:42 am »
Hacking walk through walls (and/or camera control) into games can be very difficult depending on the game. It really helps to have a good debugger that lets you step through code and trap memory accesses. I'm able to help so long as the game runs in Meka...

Offline Trop

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 09:33:42 am »
*checks the ghost cave*  No good.  It has to be something the game turns and on and off.  And no kidding it's difficult, I haven't found a harder thing to hack yet.  The code I used to make the recent Brain Lord maps with was an X Y coordinate code, and even thought I found the codes for both X and Y the debugger would only able to break Y.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 09:31:28 pm »
Hey all.

I decided to forget about finding some magical code to make oneself impervious to obstacles. It just isn't worth the effort, at least not for these maps. I'm sure you wouldn't notice anything out of place even if I told you I made up half the map or something. A little copying and pasting never hurt anyone. ;)

https://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/index.htm#LufiaTheFortressOfDoom

Anyway, I've mapped up to Surinagal so far. Should have at least ten more maps ready by next week.

Offline Trop

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 09:37:07 pm »
Well I'll keep trying anyway.  I'll post it if I find it.  In the mean time great maps!  You shredded this game, I'd say you're only a few steps from raw map master.

Offline Trop

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 05:05:40 pm »
Well after forever all I got was this from another forum:

Background Image Placement Control (X Position)
000043 xx

Background Image Placement Control (Y Position)
000045 xx

Movement Modifier (Ignores Boundaries so in a sense WTW but not quite. You can however turn on the direction you want then turn off to get where you want to go.)
000062 xx

00 - none
01 - walk right then stop
02 - walk left then stop
04 - walk down then stop
08 - walk up then stop

Inside (Changing these will move your position in the room/area)

X Position Modifier
00005A xx

Y Position Modifier
00005C xx

Outside (Changing these will move your position in the room/area)

X Position Modifier
00006A xx

Y Position Modifier
00006C xx

Sorry I couldn't do more.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 06:42:06 pm »
Well it certainly is better than nothing. When I get the time to, I'll play around with those codes and see what I can get out of them.

But hey, thanks for all the time and effort in helping me out with this. It definitely went far beyond my expectations. :D And I still need to get that Wally wo Sagase request all finished for you! I did map and figure out the solution for the level that I assume is level 6, but then another level followed up after that, so I'm not sure which is the one needed. Regardless, I'll eventually map every level and provide the solutions anyway once I find the time to do so.

And to let everyone know, I won't have any new maps out until the beginning of June. Right now I'm in the middle of preparing for Anime North, so I won't have much time aside from painting and drawing to work on mapping. It's tough being an artist... heheh. ;)

Offline Trop

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 11:17:27 pm »
No problem.  But hey if you have it go ahead and submit it.  You'd be the first person to ever use the submission function.  I think Furby put that request there so he could finish ripping the soundtrack for SNESmusic.org, but it was years ago and I'm sure he's forgotten about it by now.

Painting and drawing?  What kind of art do you do?  Are you an illustrator?

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 12:05:54 am »
You can see my art at http://zanazac.deviantart.com. The gallery is mostly filled with manga and animesque artwork, but there's also a bit of what I did in university (the abstract/surreal paintings). I'm certainly not a professional yet, but I'm slowly making my way there. :)

Offline Trop

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 08:54:47 am »
After looking at that I'd certainly call you professional.  It's better then anything I could ever do.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 03:22:45 pm »
Alright, so with this weekend's update, I'll be all finished with mapping Lufia. *yaaay* Thanks to Trop for the movement modifier codes. Without them, I don't think I could have completed the Platina map. :D

And also for mentioning about Linear Dodge in another thread. Before that, I had not bothered putting the water in the underwater maps (I didn't think to use BGMapper at the time), but after a little research and experimenting (thankfully openCanvas, which I would have never considered using for maps, had the right blending modes which my Photoshop 5 did not, but instead of Linear Dodge and Linear Burn, they were called Addition and Subtraction) I got the water displaying correctly.

Now on to consider other interesting projects...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 03:23:34 pm by FlyingArmor »