Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. Special (Sharp X1)  (Read 38100 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Super Mario Bros. Special (Sharp X1)
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 01:29:48 pm »
I'm hoping putting maps of a very little known Mario title onto a big name site will increase the popularity and recognition of this gem.

I'm flattered.  :)

I still think of the site as very small, even now.  I'd forgotten about its eighth birthday last week.  I guess lasting the good part of a decade so far and with about 20000 maps (I'll check the exact number later) isn't really small anymore though, but I'm still certain it could be a bigger deal than it is.  :P

Anyway, I see the maps in my inbox, so they'll probably be officially up this weekend.  Awesome job, Wario Bros!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 01:31:04 pm by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 06:11:26 pm »
Wow, I haven't opened up a new atlas page in a year and a week.  The last time was for the iPod/iPhone when Revned submitted Rolando maps on May 9, 2009.

Thanks for this submission!  And thanks for bringing up this obscure Mario game.

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 07:46:21 pm »
Your welcome. ^_^  I feel special.

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 12:08:25 am »
I gotta say this is beyond awesome. I am amazed that you could map this game out, because didn't know if it would be easier than mapping out SMB.
Creator of over 4,300 maps on GameFAQs!

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 10:54:22 am »
I gotta say this is beyond awesome. I am amazed that you could map this game out, because didn't know if it would be easier than mapping out SMB.

Thanx!  To be honest, mapping this game was incredibly easy.  I was able to find an emulator that had a savestate feature, then made a save starting at EVERY SINGLE level (aka 32 savestates), screen shot me playing the levels, and finally edited the shots on MS Paint.  This games runs almost as smoothly as the NES Mario.  Also NEVER play the NEC PC-8801 version of this game: EVERYTHING is worse since the PC88 isn't as powerful as the X1.

Also, here are some fun facts of this game:
- Despite having "Bros." in the title, Luigi makes no appearance whatsoever.
- The background history on the game's development (or how Hudson Soft got permission to make this game) is a complete enigma.
- This wasn't the only Nintendo game on the Sharp X1/NEC PC-8801: there was "Punch Ball Mario Bros.", "Mario Bros. Special", and ports of NES games.
- Nintendo had no part of developing this game, just licensing it.
- The game was sold for a limited time (possibly to licensing issues)
- Game was almost forgotten until someone made an online article of the game recently.
- The flagpole in this game is actually 16 pixels shorter than the NES flagpole (because the Sharp X1 screen is 24 shorter than the NES screen)
- Finally, there is a project on a rom hacking site where they are trying to hack the NES SMB to "port" this game.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:08:51 pm by Wario Bros »

Offline alucard

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 12:24:53 am »
Great job on these maps, they look awesome. I have never hard of this game until now, but I would love to play it, especially since it has different stuff in it like from the Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. games

Offline ummwat

Advance Wars (GBA) - 10%

Cave Story (PC/Mac/WiiWare) - COMPLETE 80%