Author Topic: Games to get to play on the Dreamcast?  (Read 11135 times)

Offline magicbay

• this isn't me.. just a celeb i like..
Games to get to play on the Dreamcast?
« on: June 16, 2010, 10:13:07 am »
I was just wondering if anyone here has the Sega Dreamcast and know what kind of games that would be worthwhile to buy and play around on?

I don't care for games like mortal kombat or sports games and am more into rpg, action, adventure and action adventure games.  I like games that present a challenge but not ones that can be beaten in one sitting.

Forgive me for saying this but I don't want to get bashed just for asking about what kind of games to play that would keep me occupied for days on end.

Thanks..

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Games to get to play on the Dreamcast?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 12:34:41 pm »
My brother bought a Dreamcast years ago off of eBay (making it one of the few non-Nintendo consoles in the house) along with a bunch of games.  Probably in impulse thing: other than Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, I don't think he finished the other games that came with it.  (However I think that game is on PS2 and downloadable for PS3, both of which should be easier to find.)

He wanted it mostly to play Shenmue, which seems like a deep adventure game, but he couldn't ever beat the forklift races.

There's also Skies Of Arcadia if you like RPGs or Ikaruga if you like really difficult vertical space shooters (I could never beat the second boss, one of the most shameful of my few "games I never finished"), but both are also on the GameCube.

I can't really think of many truly-exclusive must-play games for the Dreamcast, most have since been ported to the PS2/GameCube/Xbox, I believe.

Offline Revned

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 01:48:48 pm »
There's no shame in not being able to beat Ikaruga. I think I only made it to the third level a couple of times.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 06:49:37 am »
Unless you already have it on another system, Sonic Adventure is worth trying. If you don't want to get into Sonic, then I still recommend Super Magnetic Neo. It's an action platformer with a cute quirky style and interesting magnetic field system that lets you pull in / push away obstacles and enemies to cross gaps and take down obstacles.

If you like driving games, Crazy Taxi is a must.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 07:19:02 am »
Airforce Delta, Bomberman Online, The House of the Dead 2 (if you can find a lightgun to go with it), even if you're not a fighting game fan, Soul Calibur is great, Time Stalkers is worth playing through once, and Toy Commander.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 08:20:40 am »
Wow, how did I forget the original SoulCalibur...yeesh.

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 12:13:18 am »
I haven't really played that many DC games that I can remember, though there are a few that I would like to try. D2, that survival horror/RPG game, I saw a friend play it and I thought it might be fun.
Creator of over 4,300 maps on GameFAQs!

Offline magicbay

• this isn't me.. just a celeb i like..
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 05:56:59 pm »
i take it most of you folks either have a dreamcast, have had a dreamcast or have played a dreamcast?

I did buy one at the beginning of 2010 but it didn't work at all so I had to toss it in the trash.

Anyone know anything about the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater game for this system?  This was the one that I picked out to play around on while I save up for the other two DC Games that I've got on lay-a-way.

If anyone's got the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater game for DC, is there any way ya can map it because I'd like to see what the maps look like for this game.