Author Topic: E.V.O.: Search for Eden  (Read 41831 times)

Offline N. Harmonik

E.V.O.: Search for Eden
« on: August 08, 2010, 03:30:21 pm »
Can someone please make maps of this SNES game's levels? Preferably with the crystals' locations pointed out.

Offline Trop

Re: E.V.O.: Search for Eden
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 02:10:56 pm »
Yes! I would love an excuse to map out this game.  Go to my site www.vgmapper.com and put this request in the queue so I won't forget.  I've been thinking of taking on this game as a project for a long time.  It will be interesting to see how it maps.

Offline N. Harmonik

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 03:40:18 pm »
Yes! I would love an excuse to map out this game.  Go to my site www.vgmapper.com and put this request in the queue so I won't forget.  I've been thinking of taking on this game as a project for a long time.  It will be interesting to see how it maps.
Done.

Offline Trop

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 06:26:46 pm »
O.K. I'll start this in about a week when I finish another huge project I'm working on.

Offline Trop

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 08:54:37 pm »
Tested the first level in EVO for mapping compatibility and I understand now why nobody has gone after this simple looking game before, it's not so simple.  High levels of parallel scrolling in the background, like the first level of DKC, means simple screenshots are out and I'll have to go with foregrounds placed over background block sets.  Not a huge problem but adds to time spent on each map.  Already made a stack of codes, everything's looking good so far.

Offline N. Harmonik

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 08:50:22 am »
When the maps are done, will they be posted on both your website and this website?

Offline Trop

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 09:12:19 am »
Yes, since I picked up the request here they'll go up on both sites.  I will however make raw maps (unmarked maps) along with the marked ones and I don't know if Jon will want one, the other, or both.

Offline Trop

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 09:19:40 pm »
The first raw map is done, this game is a little fighter.  I'll post it this weekend.  Since there are no crystals in the first level, or in some other levels, I'll mark simple things like edible objects too.  Say Jon, if you're reading this, do you want both marked and unmarked maps, or do you have a preference?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 09:57:53 pm »
Some games look great unmarked (like the Zelda games), but I think in many cases having maps marked is the better choice (if they're marked neatly, like with in-game icons and fonts whenever possible).  And unless the graphics are spectacularly beautiful, I think I wouldn't need the unmarked ones if I have the marked ones.

Offline Trop

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 02:16:34 pm »
OK, so it shall be.  I've sent the first one in, tell me what you think once it's up this weekend.  And certainly some backgrounds can be pretty.  Check out some of the mods I made at the bottom of this page: http://www.vgmapper.com/SysSNES/E/EarthwormJim2.html

Offline N. Harmonik

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 03:13:49 pm »
The first raw map is done, this game is a little fighter.  I'll post it this weekend.  Since there are no crystals in the first level, or in some other levels, I'll mark simple things like edible objects too.  Say Jon, if you're reading this, do you want both marked and unmarked maps, or do you have a preference?
Thank you! :)

Offline Trop

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 08:16:46 pm »
No problem, but it's a long road ahead.  I'd forgotten how much more work mazes are then raw maps.  We'll see what other kinds of tricks EVO has up it's sleeve.

Offline Trop

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 10:04:46 pm »
2nd ones up.  So far the game is only throwing strange obstacles at me instead of difficult ones.  But I'm already working with a wall of code so we'll see how long that lasts.

Offline Trop

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 11:24:39 pm »
3rd ones up.  I hope these bare bones legends aren't too confusing.

Offline N. Harmonik

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 01:22:51 pm »
Not confusing to me at all.

Yet (don't take this the wrong way) it seems you're the only one on your site who's currently doing anything. ???