Author Topic: Super Castlevania IV Tileset?  (Read 13186 times)

Offline Rennoc

Super Castlevania IV Tileset?
« on: December 13, 2010, 06:29:09 pm »
Hey, I recently joined a computer programming class in school this year, and I've been loving it so far. We just started making a platformer, and while the teacher provided with a mario-esque tileset, he said if we could find some others we were free to use them.

Super Castlevania IV is one of my favorite SNES games of all time, so I wanted to make something akin to it. I've already got a working Simon Belmont sprite, but I couldn't find a good tile set.

We are using the program Tiled to make the maps, and Microsoft Visual Basic to code the game.

I was just wondering if anyone here could help me find a tile set that would work with tiled, or make me a simple one. I don't need every single tile, not even close, the game has much more detail than I'd be able to replicate. I just want a basic tileset, which I could use to make a map that would look like SCIV.

Also, if anyone knows where I could find a site with the game's sound effects, that would be awesome.

Either post here, or send me an E-mail.
Thanks a lot!

Conner  ;D

Offline Trop

Re: Super Castlevania IV Tileset?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 10:05:08 am »
Well I made the maps so I could try to rip a few tile galleries.  Let me see what I can do.

Offline Trop

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 01:17:15 pm »
Something like this?
I sliced up a few sections of the first area into it's tiles.

Offline Rennoc

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 06:24:31 pm »
Yeah, something like that. I'm not sure if it'll work with tiled, don't have time to check atm, I don't know much about tiled so it would probably be easiest if you just checked it out and see if it made sense to you xD

Offline Trop

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 08:15:40 pm »
Oh I see, tile sets have be custom made for each individual program.  *examining Tiled* ... ... So it looks like you can make perfect tile sets to import from appropriately trimmed screen shots by going to Map and New Tileset then clicking Browse.  SCIV uses tiles that are 16x16 by the way.  Heh, Jon is the real "make a map from scratch" master here I'm sure he could tell you more about this.  This will be easy.  I'll make some trimmed screen shots as PNGs and all you'll have to do is import them to use them as tile sets.

Offline Trop

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 08:31:22 pm »
Ok just create a new map that uses 16X16 tiles and import these with New Tileset.

Offline Trop

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 08:32:10 pm »
more.

Offline Rennoc

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 06:52:10 pm »
Thank you so much!! You guys are awesome!!! :D

Offline Trop

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 09:29:19 am »
No problem.  Like I said, that was easy.