Author Topic: 2011/02: Mega Man ZX (DS) - X GOD, HIVOLT & rmexesaito  (Read 22396 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2011/02: Mega Man ZX (DS) - X GOD, HIVOLT & rmexesaito
« on: January 31, 2011, 10:05:09 pm »

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to X GOD, HIVOLT & rmexesaito's Mega Man ZX (DS) maps.

In the year 24XX, two couriers, Vent and Aile, are delivering an artifact known as Biometal Model X.  But when they are attacked by Mavericks, the Biometal gives them the power to Megamerge into Mega Man Model X.  They meet Prairie and the Guardians, defenders of the Outlands, and they search for the remaining Biometals and eventually face Serpent, the evil president of Slither, Inc.

The gameplay is similar to the Mega Man Zero series.  There are several missions to undertake in the game's various Areas.  Defeating bosses and obtaining more Biometals (clearly based on X, Zero, and characters from Mega Man Zero) allows Vent/Aile to use more weapons and abilities.  Despite being four hundred years old, this concept remains - a Mega Man game wouldn't be one without it!

However, unlike the original series and the X series, there is a lot of retraversal.  It may be easy to get lost as more and more Areas become available.  So we turn to X GOD and his partners, HIVOLT and rmexesaito, who have contributed many of the later Mega Man games, including this one.  These maps are functional, of course, but also allow you to enjoy the incredible detail in these futuristic graphics - quite impressive, even for a DS game, and even for a Mega Man game!

So to recognize the effort put into these "ZXy" maps, X GOD, HIVOLT & rmexesaito's Mega Man ZX (DS) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for February 2011.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 10:12:57 pm by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: 2011/02: Mega Man ZX (DS) - X GOD, HIVOLT & rmexesaito
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 11:04:00 am »
Oh, yeah, this was a freaky coincidence...

My brother was playing the first stage of Mega Man X while I was browsing maps to determine the February Maps Of The Month.  I came across Mega Man ZX's Area D-2 and noticed that it was very similar to Mega Man X's intro highway stage that I had just watched my brother play, so I put the maps in the same folder for easy checking and confirmed that it is a definite and deliberate homage.

'Course, I looked on the Internet, and I wasn't the first to figure it out.  And I don't know if someone mentioned it here earlier and maybe I just forgot about it.  But it's still kind of neat to stumble upon that kind of thing by accident.  0_0

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 04:13:36 pm »
They did a great job on the maps. I imagine it must have been difficult, considering it's on the DS and the way the game uses backgrounds. My favorite areas are A and H. :D
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline marioman

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 07:28:37 pm »
Excellent work on the maps.  This happens to be my favorite game in the entire Zero/ZX series.  The gameplay is great and the environments are awesome.  It just makes me wish that IntiCreates would make some more sequels.  Maybe the release of the 3DS will give them an excuse to continue the series.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 11:19:47 am »
It just makes me wish that IntiCreates would make some more sequels.  Maybe the release of the 3DS will give them an excuse to continue the series.

Whenever Capcom's involved, I don't think they need much of an excuse to make sequels to anything!  :P  Granted, I didn't play the sequel to this, ZX Advent, so I don't know if it ends conclusively, but I doubt there's ever a truly dead Capcom series...  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was another Viewtiful Joe game or even a P.N. 03 game.  And if they can't continue the story, they can always remake these games.  >_>

A sequel that's almost expected that hasn't come out yet though?  A Mega Man X 9 as a downloadable WiiWare game stylized 16-bit.  I wouldn't be surprised if that gets announced at some point, I'd be more surprised if that never happens.

I was also considering honouring X GOD for his Mega Man X 7 maps...for the technical skill in making the maps, not a statement on the quality of that game.  :P  Though to be fair I actually didn't play X 7...I played all the other main X games (even Command Mission but not Xtreme/Xtreme 2), but from what I've heard and seen about that X 7, I'm not missing much.  One day I'll likely reconsider it for MotM though.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:40:35 pm by JonLeung »