Author Topic: Nintendo Power - 1988-1996 cover games  (Read 140116 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Nintendo Power - 1988-1996 cover games
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2013, 02:17:22 pm »
Forgot in the midst of Tropicon's blitz (that rhymes!) that we now have all the maps (I think) from Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong-Quest.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 03:21:26 pm by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2013, 11:34:24 am »
Oh, and Illusion Of Gaia, as well.  :P  Thanks, Trop!

Offline Trop

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2013, 11:03:37 pm »
And Earthworm Jim 2.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2013, 09:00:25 am »
Tropicon has started Stargate, so now we have at least one map from every game on Nintendo Power's 1995 covers.

Is Noob Saibot's Dorfen available in the Super NES version of Mortal Kombat 3?  If so, we don't have a map of it; if not, then I can check that off the list as complete.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:07:58 am by JonLeung »

Offline Will

« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2013, 10:33:52 am »
To answer your question, Noob Saibot's Dorfen doesn't exist in the SNES version, instead the balcony stage is used for the fight against Noob. That being said Mortal Kombat 3 for SNES is definitely complete.

Offline avalanch

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2014, 11:56:10 am »
Does anyone remember which Issue of NP has the question along the lines of:

Where do you use the rainbow drop & staff of rain?

I remember sending this in to them & seeing it in a later magazine in the Counselor's Corner section but for the life of me can't remember which one it was.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:56:45 am by avalanch »

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2014, 05:39:03 pm »
Speaking of Nintendo Power. I was a dedicated subscriber from 1994-1998. Back then, it was easy for me to Order the first original 12 issues directly from nintendo, and so I did just to catch up. The magazine had lots of power in it; Maps, tip's, tricks. It was sad to see how Future US took the power out of Nintendo Power. No more maps, less information. It started to die.

I have more than half of of the issues of Nintendo Power mag mostly in good shape. I was on a mission to collect the remaining ones from ebay a year or so ago but become financially unstable. I will have all of them eventually. I'm more than half way there. I have the one with Felix the Cat on the cover!

Hopefully one day most if not all the maps will be done for a single console gone retro.

Offline Will

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2014, 11:23:23 am »
Hi! Long time no mapping in this section. I am currently working on "Buster Busts Loose" (A Tiny Toon Adventures game). I am need of a cheat code that removes the wall and surface clippings, so I can fall through solid surfaces and make them out. Also I want an idea of how many layouts are available in the Bab's Rescue Friends bonus game mazes.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2014, 11:38:32 am »
I'm a little surprised you haven't tackled that one earlier, Will.

Licensed games are hit-and-miss, and more often miss than hit, but I really liked Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose.  (I guess the NES ones were good too.)  I've always said Capcom and Konami really knew how to do licensed games well on the NES and Super NES.  Though I honoured your maps of Sunsoft's Bugs Bunny In Rabbit Rampage for the Maps Of The Month, personally I think that Konami's Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts loose is a much more solid gameplay experience.  It's also more colourful and pretty to look at.  I will be looking forward to it.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2014, 09:29:45 pm »
As Will promised, he's started on Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose!

I forgot to mention a month ago - to the day - that with Tropicon finishing Final Fantasy II and the original Final Fantasy IV (J) that it was based on, 1991 is finally complete!  That was my first year of subscription so I'm excited about that.  It's also the first year that Nintendo Power was a monthly publication, and the first calendar year that we have complete, other than the short 1988.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2014, 07:45:27 pm »
Thanks to vorpal86, Felix The Cat is complete!  I always thought that, as one of the later NES games (after the Super NES was already available), it was pretty decent.  Though I'm not sure why as I never really spent a ton of time with the game...in any case, we have all the maps of it!  Yay!

And now from the looks of it, with the exception of those games featured in the "4-Player Extra" special issue (Gauntlet II, Swords And Serpents), every NES game on a cover has now been mapped on VGMaps.com!

...Oh wait, there are two others remaining...  Tetris and Dr. Mario.  Hmm.

An idea for "mapping" Dr. Mario is, besides taking a screenshot of the empty bottle, maybe showing what each of the levels look like?  I believe the arrangements are random, but it could be stated as such that they are so, and should be seen as possible levels that would at least show how many viruses (apparently plural is not "virii" anymore) there are?

Now that I think about it, someone did send me a map of the "well" in Tetris many years ago, and I thought it was too silly to put up.  Whoever that was, I apologize for not accepting it then.  Surely there's something more we can do with Tetris than just that, though...

So, yeah, not sure if anyone wants to map Dr. Mario and/or Tetris, but I guess it would be kind of a milestone if they were mapped, to be able to say we covered every NES game that was prominently on a cover of Nintendo Power!  (Still hoping for some Gauntlet II and Swords And Serpents, just to be thorough.)

Offline LTIan

« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2014, 10:55:32 pm »
There's still the matter of Road Runner's Death Valley Rally. No one's been able to continue where Will left off. :(

Offline mechaskrom

« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2014, 09:32:28 pm »
I can map swords and serpents if nobody is already working on it. It is an old favorite and I even drew my own maps for it when I played it many years ago (almost had to to beat the game). I've always wanted to make some more professional maps for it so this would be perfect.
Some tools and other stuff I've made:
https://github.com/mechaskrom

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2016, 08:03:58 pm »
It's been over a year and a half, but zagato has given us Dr. Mario maps, so 1990 gets a little closer to completion!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2016, 03:20:48 pm »
Whoops!  Forgot that Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble was one of these, in fact it's the last one (last as in, the last one listed on the list, not the last one left to do), and it's been complete since July 19.  Thanks, Tropicon!