Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS: More than 30% off or 20 Free eShop Games!!  (Read 31547 times)

Offline Wario Bros

Nintendo 3DS: More than 30% off or 20 Free eShop Games!!
« on: July 28, 2011, 06:45:11 pm »
If I sound like I'm advertising, I'm sorry: I'm trying to make this as news.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/fttgI7OsQIB1tZqRMa5CtT45KLrmNkAY

Due to Nintendo's low sales on the 3DS (like lack of good games and weak launch for both store and digital content) as well as other reasons, Nintendo, worldwide, will officially drop more than 30% off the original price ($169.99 in America, $249.96 in Australia, & £160/€180 in Europe) starting August 12th this year.

But if you have purchased a 3DS before August 12 (and have connected to the eShop), you'll get a treat as well: you'll be able to download twenty (yes, you've read that correctly) NES and GameBoy Advance games for absolutely free!  You won't get the games instantly: they'll come later:

NES Games (Available September 1)
* Super Mario Bros.
* Donkey Kong Jr.
* Balloon Fight
* Ice Climber
* The Legend of Zelda
* 5 more NES games (all are unknown at this time)

GameBoy Advance games (Available by the end of 2011)
* Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
* Mario Kart: Super Circuit
* Metroid Fusion
* WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
* Mario vs. Donkey Kong
* 5 more GBA games (all are unknown at this time)

Remember, the qualification is you must have a 3DS and have connected to eShop before August 12.

But wow, this is a stunt I would have never expected Nintendo to do, not even in a million years!  I can't wait for my 20 free games!  ;D

Discuss.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:04:47 pm by Wario Bros »

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
Re: Nintendo 3DS: More than 30% off or 20 Free eShop Games!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:41:00 pm »
I'm sure they wouldn't try something like this unless they knew they could afford it and knew it would turn a profit. I'm really excited about the free games, as a number of them are games I didn't get when they were out but have wanted to play them. Metroid Fusion!
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Trop

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 10:52:07 pm »
You never played Metroid Fusion?  I just finished it for the second time last week.  Don't know what possessed me to replay it though, while good as a game it's terrible as a Metroid.  Take Metroid M, give it cartoony everything and you've got Fusion.

Looks like Nintendo is a little desperate.  I don't know why, it's not like Sony or Microsoft are giving them a run for their money.  A friend and I were discussing something like this when it comes to older games.  I suggested that the PC, given the fact that it somehow wasn't crushed as a gaming platform in the 90's by the consoles, might get the chance to eclipse them all.  Here's my logic: don't you get tired of having buy new consoles every few years and then deal with backwards compatibility issues?  I noticed people are demanding backwards compatibility gear on newer computers, and getting them, like dos emulators in windows.  These days computers can't afford to fail to run a program because it's a few years old, but consoles get away with it like it's 1984.  What if one of the game companies moved everything online and only sold you a controller and a few peripherals?  I'd trash my consoles for that.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 12:16:09 am »
Because then the user experience is based on the power of their computer. It might be fine for older systems, but what about the PlayStation 3? Or Wii? Or even the PS2 and Gamecube for that matter? Can you say your computer is powerful enough to play games from those systems with the same graphics level and perfect framerate? Even at fullscreen? And if it can, is your laptop screen big enough that you can play it while standing several feet back from it? You'd have to plug it into the TV to be able to do that without having to squint. But can you say the same thing for your friends? Or your little cousin? Can they afford such a luxurious gaming computer rig?

But that's just consoles. Remember, the 3DS is a handheld. Would you really want to lug a laptop around just so you could play some Mario on the bus? :P

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 06:00:14 am »
(I consider myself a console gamer and a PC gamer, so personally the debate between consoles and computers is pointless.  However, this means I end up liking Nintendo more - because how many PS3 games and Xbox 360 games do you see on the PC?  Lots...  So I go to Nintendo for its first-party exclusives.  Sure, Sony and Microsoft have their own exclusives too, but not as many, or not as interesting, and the bulk of the rest of the games on their consoles are on the PC.  And yet even then I don't boot up my PC much for games.  Another generic, realistic shooter?  Another generic, realistic sports game?  I'll pass, thanks.

I also consider myself a handheld gamer.)  I've been itching for NEW 3DS games (Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition and The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time 3D aren't exactly new), and while the twenty free games are most certainly NOT new, at least it's something free that's good, to keep me busy until the actually-new games come out.

Though I finish the "main" Mario games with 100%, I've always had trouble with the Yoshi games, so I was thinking recently that I wanted to give Yoshi's Island another shot; seems like a good reason to, now that I'll be getting it for free.  It'd be nice to own Metroid Fusion, and I'm hoping that like the VC Game Boy releases, the VC NES The Legend Of Zelda will have savestate functions...that game is hard, so I'll need them.  I hate to call myself a Zelda fan and have trouble finishing it...but at least I'll be able to, even if it's borderline (or practically) cheating.  :P  Similarly, I remember really liking Mario Vs. DK, but those extra stages are an exercise in frustration without savestates, which I hope VC GBA games will have too.  >_>

The NES games are classic, but other than The Legend Of Zelda, I'm not keenly interested in seriously playing them again for the umpteenth time, though they all are nice distractions to have on the go, and the GBA games are a nice selection and would be a good time to revisit.  But to think, we don't even know what the rest of the free NES/GBA games are, maybe there will be some more good ones.

They should advertise the crap out of this in the next couple weeks; some people might find these twenty games to be worth the $80 difference, and Nintendo might prefer to get that $80 (or whatever they get from each sale) and give away old games than to sell the 3DS for that much less.

Yes, Nintendo more-than-occasionally depends on nostalgia (i.e. rereleases), and maybe they are a little desperate, but we still could have gotten much worse or much less for free...including not getting anything at all.  It's twenty games, for free, how often do you get that (legally, officially, conveniently, where at least half of the games are good)?  I'll take 'em!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 08:06:55 am by JonLeung »

Offline Trop

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 10:54:08 pm »
I guess I figured if you'd be willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for a new console you could do the same for video and sound card equivalents.  Didn't think about laptops or other portables, I was thinking more about the cost of the main consoles.

I'd still rather be able to play games I bought years ago, without rearranging so many wires, then get a few instead of all of them as an offering on a new piece of hardware.  I actually like the nostalgia effect nintendo has going because it keeps some of my favorite series alive with new releases along with the old.  I hate that some of my favorite series have died but I don't think I can blame ports for that.  If anything your point about saves is a reason for nintendo to avoid trends in increased compatibility.  Keeping you playing on their machines gives them control over your gaming experience.  If you need something you have to go through them and that's great for their bottom line.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 01:42:12 am »
I feel I should point out that I was not arguing for consoles over PCs, but simply pointing out the other side of the issue. There are clearly limitations to both platforms when it comes to gaming. As for the jumble of wires, that's part of inconvenience of old game consoles. But, as is evident with the 3DS and Wii, things are trending towards increased compatibility that actually lasts. You can already move your DSi content onto your 3DS, and I imagine you'll be able to move your regular Wii account to your WiiU as well, bringing along all of the WiiWare and VC games with it. Yes, you have to pay a small fee to be able to play it again, but this copy is going to last a lot longer through future generations.

The main problem behind this current lack of 3DS games is that games are taking increasingly long to develop, let alone good games. The system has been out for just over five months (four outside Japan). The system's just getting started, and developers haven't had time to finish their games yet. Kid Icarus has been in development since before they even first revealed the 3DS, and it's not even done yet. It'll be a while before we start getting a regular flow of games. Unlike earlier systems, though, the 3DS has a major advantage with it's compatibility. There are enough VC and DSiware games out there to last anyone who hasn't played them long enough for the games to come out. These 20 free games will certainly help with that for those of us who got it early.

Offline Rew

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 01:07:16 pm »
GameBoy Advance games (Available by the end of 2011)
* Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3

This had better mean that the SNES Yoshi's Island is coming to the Wii VC sometime soon then. >=(
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline Trop

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 10:02:56 pm »
I wasn't taking a shot at the 3DS, I know it's new, long road ahead.  And I didn't mean to argue consoles over PC either I was thinking more about the compatibility you mentioned.  If your right and they do let you port your account and all your stuff that'll be great.  I just hope they don't get left behind in the flurry of network incorporation sweeping other technologies right now.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 08:47:21 pm »
Just FYI GameStop is offering a pretty good trade-in on DS Lite and DSi systems.  I traded in my DS Lite and got $50 in trade for it.  Throw in a couple of other trades and I got a 3DS and Zelda OOT (new) for around $120.

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 01:48:43 pm »
Well, I'm very sure I am an Ambassador Member I still can't wait for the games.  But I'm kinda surprised that Nintendo hasn't at least revealed the remaining 5 NES games yet (there is a rumored list online claiming to know all 20 games but I want to post facts here)

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 07:22:38 pm »
By using your serial number on the back of your 3DS, you find out if you made it as an Ambassador.

North Amercia
Latin America
Australia

Sorry, Europe is not up yet.  But they are cooking one up right now.

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 05:57:35 pm »
All 10 NES games have been revealed:
- Balloon Fight
- Donkey Kong Jr.
- Ice Climber
- The Legend of Zelda
- Metroid
- NES Open Tournament Golf
- Super Mario Bros.
- Wrecking Crew
- Yoshi (called "Mario & Yoshi" in Europe)
- Zelda II: The Adventures of Link

Oh, if you live in Japan or North America, the NES Ambassador games came a day early and started this morning (Europe is still September 1).  I just forgot to post here.  And here is how to claim your Ambassador games:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/3dsambassador.jsp?menu=about&submenu=ctr-gi-amb-download-games

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 06:21:02 pm »
The first two Zelda games?  Sweet.

Considering that there's Ocarina Of Time 3D, and Link's Awakening DX is in the eShop, if Miyamoto goes through with his idea to upgrade A Link To The Past (or if they just decide to release the GBA version alongside Four Swords, already planned as another free download later this year), it'd be quite a Zelda machine!  Then we just have to hope for a Majora's Mask 3D and the Oracle games in the eShop as well.

But, Zelda fan as I am, I have to confess...I find the first two games very difficult.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, I may have to abuse savestates in order to finish them.  >_>  EDIT: What?  No realtime saves?  Is that only for the Game Boy games?  Maaan...

The other NES games are pretty meh-ish...I've played Metroid enough times, and other than (NES) Open Tournament Golf and (Mario &) Yoshi, the other games have come from the arcade age and don't really have a ton of substance.  Though, since they're free, it's quite likely I may go a few rounds of Ice Climber or Wrecking Crew while on the bus, which still seem a little cooler than the cliché Bejeweled or Angry Birds on a smartphone.  :P

I guess they don't want to put out more bigger games they think people might want to pay for, like Kirby's Adventure or whatever, and it's really more to cement the iconicness of the original Super Mario Bros. and The Legend Of Zelda, especially with younger gamers who never experienced them the first time around.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 09:32:59 am by JonLeung »

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 10:16:46 am »
http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2011/09/analogue_stick_add_on_for_3ds_revealed
Well this isn't Ambassador or price cut related but Nintendo has officially revealed an add-on so the 3DS has a second analog stick (price and release date unknown).  Thankfully an add-on is a heck of a lot better and cheaper than buying a new 3DS with 2 built-in sticks.

I hope Luigi's Mansion 2 uses this since I'm not a fan of the idea of using gyro sensors to aim the vacuum.  And maybe this could get people to stop complaining that Kid Icarus Uprising isn't left-handed friendly (I'm right-handed but I'm just saying)

EDIT: The new add-on also has L2 and R2 buttons (plus a new R1 button to replace the original R button)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:51:59 pm by Wario Bros »