Author Topic: Dragonflies  (Read 11870 times)

Offline Revned

Dragonflies
« on: July 04, 2006, 07:42:20 pm »
There were a whole bunch  of bright blue dragonflies out today, so I took some pictures. I've taken some interesting/cool pictures before, but this is definitely one of the best. The other ones I took today had brighter colors, but you can see more details in this one.

User posted image

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/374/dragonfly3la.jpg

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Dragonflies
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 07:59:23 pm »
Man, those wings are gorgeous! Reminds me of the time last year where I visited a butterfly exposition which had lots of exotic butterflies. I took may pictures, but none as good as that.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 01:36:10 am »
That looks great. I cannot remember when I last saw a sitting dragonfly. Most of the time I only see them flying around.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 07:37:05 am »
Most bugs bug me.  But as long as they stay outside of the house, I think ants and dragonflies are cool.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 10:22:58 am »
Most bugs in nature I have no problem with. In fact, I find insect cool and extraordinary creatures. It's when they violate the implicit separation between nature and "my home" that I switch to "hunt and squash" mode. Spiders are the only creepy crawlers that I won't crush heartlessly; on account that they mostly put up webs and eat all the other bugs in houses, I catch them in a tissue and throw them outside.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 11:08:34 am »
We have a pond in our backyard that these dragonflies have been gathering around. It wasn't very hard to find sitting ones, it was just difficult to get close to them without them flying away.

I feel the same as Terra. If they're outside, they're cool. When them come inside, though, they've just got to go.

Offline CleverConveyence

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 10:39:00 pm »
I caught a banded dragonfly in AC:WW the other day.  It was the third one I had ever seen in the game.  Guess that makes me lucky...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 07:40:04 am »
A banded dragonfly is one of the four remaining July bugs I need to catch in AC:WW.  That and the other ones are daytime insects, so I can only catch them on weekends, and I haven't had much luck this long weekend (at least with those ones) as it was often rainy whenever I booted up the game.

I did catch the other July bugs and fish in the first two days or so, finally catching up to my brother in terms of museum donations.  I had so much trouble with the tarantula last month, but my luck turned and I got the scorpion the first time I saw one at 12:14 AM on July 1!

But yeah, anyway, dragonflies are cool.  I always imagined that if bugs were war machines, they would be those cool old biplanes.  Don't ask me why I equate some bugs with war things.