Author Topic: Censoring the Internet Bill  (Read 14507 times)

Offline alucard

Censoring the Internet Bill
« on: November 26, 2011, 08:11:55 am »
What do you guys think of that law they are trying to create in the USA where the internet will be censored? I dont know the complete details but it is my understanding that anything copyrighted could land you in jail. Now they probably wont go that far depending on what you did, and as long as you agree to remove the copyrighted stuff.

Also I heard that they can force web hosting companies to shut down your site, and also force your site to be DNS by whoever is in charge of doing that procedure. I heard that video game playthrough videos on YouTube will all have to be taken down if this law passes. That means that sites like this one that show maps might be in trouble, as well as all those video game sprite sites. Also even video game fans sites/shrines would be in trouble. Like a site made just for Zelda, or Mario, etc.

If this thing really happens, the entire internet would be screwed. It would be back to a boring place like it was when it first started in the 90's. Sites like YouTube would be finished because even the vids of people singing songs would have to be removed along with the VG walkthrough vids. Also tons of people would be without jobs if their website closes due to this. I really hope this does not get passed. If they want to go after people pirating movies and stuff, then go after them. But dont be like China and just censor/block everything.

You can read more on it here: http://americancensorship.org/
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 08:16:46 am by alucard »

Offline Trop

Re: Censoring the Internet Bill
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 10:41:42 am »
This would take down everything from Zophars to GameFAQs.  Not a site in my network would survive.  If only our stuff could be added to a library like other media.  I'm sure copyright applies differently to them.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 08:08:24 am »
I didn't read much into it yet, but that's ridiculous if GameFAQs were to be taken down.  On what grounds?  If it's because it shares information about copyrighted works (i.e. video games) that's just ridiculous.

If I see you in person and I tell you about how to pass a video game, should that be censored?  Then if I know you but can't see you in person at a particular moment so I text/SMS or email you that information, should that be censored?  Then if I want to tell more than one person at once so I post that on a blog, should that be censored?  Then if I make a site to present that information in an organized fashion, should that be censored?  It's a fine line, sure...but why does it need to be drawn anywhere near here?

Unless you're copying a spoken or textual work, I don't think speech and text by themselves should be censored at all.  I don't know if it's maybe because of their particular policies, but I always find it stupid that Wikipedia and other sites can't have song lyrics, for instance.  I can understand why they wouldn't have an MP3 of the song I'm inquiring about, but I just want to know the words.  It's a waste of time to expect everyone in the world to listen to a song over and over writing down the lyrics for themselves if one person already has and can make that available.

And in VGMaps.com's case, we're not giving you the whole game, we're just showing you maps.  Admittedly using the actual graphics can be a grey area, but if we negatived the image, or if the palette colours were slightly off, then they wouldn't be "actual graphics" and you'd still be getting the information you need, and it's still not the experience of playing the actual game so it wouldn't detract from the original work.  It's not like we're providing the ROMs or ISOs and explicitly explaining how to use them.

Obviously there are real concerns about copyright infringement and the Internet, but there must be some other way than totally censoring everything that merely mentions music/movies/video games/books/etc.  Why not spend the effort shutting down the obvious torrent sites first, at least?  If they've already had trouble doing that, what makes them think they can tear down Little Timmy's page of Super Mario fan stuff (hypothetical example)?

(Also...my site is run from here in Canada but actually hosted in Texas in the United States...how does this law apply?  Admittedly I should read more about this proposed law but from the little I understand of it, this is my knee-jerk reaction and first impression of it.)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:10:42 am by JonLeung »

Offline Trop

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 06:55:20 pm »
Apparently GameFAQs, and thereby GameSpot, would suffer because of this since it would ban things like screenshots and gameplay video.  If they're going to go as far as that it looks like every video game fan community would be driven underground, not just pirates.

Offline alucard

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 08:28:44 am »

(Also...my site is run from here in Canada but actually hosted in Texas in the United States...how does this law apply?  Admittedly I should read more about this proposed law but from the little I understand of it, this is my knee-jerk reaction and first impression of it.)

From what I heard they can block your site from being viewed in US. I wasnt trying to scare anyone, I was just wondering if you guys heard about this stupid bill. I cant see it passing because everyone keeps saying how it will cause a lot of job losses if websites shut down. It will also force communism on America.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 08:58:45 am »
It will also force communism on America.

I don't like the bill personally, but it's not going to force communism on America if it passes.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 07:54:01 am »
If we're talking about SOPA, apparently:

"Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, Amazon, AOL, Reddit, Mozilla, LinkedIn, IAC, eBay, PayPal, Wordpress and Wikimedia are being widely named as "considering" or committed to an "unprecedented" internet blackout on January 18, 2012 to protest the SOPA."

I got that from Wikipedia today (Jan. 18), but I thought I heard that the English side of Wikipedia was also going to be down for a whole 24 hours today, and yet, I got that info from there?  Unless it's only blocked in the US, where I am not located?

EDIT AGAIN: Never mind.  Only the SOPA page on Wikipedia is unblocked.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:50:10 am by JonLeung »

Offline Trop

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 08:52:01 am »
Of the fan sites I watch only mine and overclocked are participating in this.

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 11:26:56 pm »
Apparently GameFAQs, and thereby GameSpot, would suffer because of this since it would ban things like screenshots and gameplay video.  If they're going to go as far as that it looks like every video game fan community would be driven underground, not just pirates.

As a massive contributor on GameFAQs myself, I am extremely worried about the nearly 1,100 maps I've done. This whole SOPA deal is getting out of control, and it needs to end.
Creator of over 4,300 maps on GameFAQs!