Author Topic: Treasure Master (NES)  (Read 15716 times)

Online TerraEsperZ

Treasure Master (NES)
« on: July 19, 2006, 10:00:32 am »
This is more of a placeholder for when I finally finish these maps, hopefully sometimes this weekend.

What's there to say about Treasure Master for those who don't know of this elusive game?

Well for starters, the game is mostly one big puzzle adventure and involves travelling across several differently themed levels, collecting and using items to progress.

It was also made to act as the main part of a contest where players were given a secret code at a given date. Entering that code gave access to a secret level at the end of the game, and finishing *that* gave you another password which allowed you to win prizes if you gave it to the company fast enough.

In addition to all that, it also sports a great groovy soundtrack by Tim Follin (who did an amazing reimagining of the arcade Ghouls'N Ghosts soundtrack for the Amiga conversion; the game is pretty poor but the music is awesome and full of subtleties and variations not present in the original). Anyone interested should download the NSF here: http://www.zophar.net/nsf/treasure.zip

And on a personal note, I first saw the game in the pages of an old Nintendo Power and it seemed intriguing back then. Afterward, I saw it on the GamePro TV show (shows how old I was) where they showed a couple of secrets (which led me to discover one that the only FAQ for the game on the net didn't mention) and I was really sad that I never saw the game in any store nor did I know anyone who had played the game, not even those who always seemed to get their hands on exotic or import cartridges. Finally finding and playing the rom was a fun experience, even though the game falls short of my expectations, or even the expectations for a normal puzzle game like that.

Stay tuned for finished maps as I complete them.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

RE: Treasure Master (NES)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 11:00:03 am »
The game isn't all that great, but the music does have a demoscene sound to it which I like.

Online TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 11:24:49 am »
Yeah, it really does. I really liked those tunes back when game crackers would add a little musical intro with their releases.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Online TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 07:25:34 pm »
Well, at least over a year and a half after starting this, it's finally over. Part of the reason is being unable to do them the way I wanted to, with tips and all the secrets written on them.  Another part is my tendency to lose interest when I'm working on something for too long.

Anyway, JonLeung has been bugging me forever to finish them, especially whenever I start mapping another game, so to give myself a good conscience *and* get him off my back, I went and finished them :P

These are the basic maps only, with no tips or even written inscriptions where I'd normally put some, but for some reason I just don't feel like wasting any more time on these *at all*. So for example, Stage 4 has both an interior and exterior section, and normally I would have indicated which doors lead where, but since the maps are pretty much identical, the doors are really obvious to figure out.

All right JonLeung, you can consider these an official submission. *Finally!*

Stage 1: The Islands

User posted image

Stage 2: The Moon

User posted image

Stage 3: Machine World

User posted image

Stage 4: Forest World

User posted image

Stage 5: Microchip

User posted image

Stage 6: Prize World

User posted image

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 09:25:13 am »
Weird...your Stage 6 I could view last night, but now that I'm on the other computer and am trying to save it, I can't see or access it at all.

Looks like you're not done with them yet, you'll have to at least reupload that one!  :P

I hope my pestering you to get these done wasn't what put you off them...you know, if you ever did change your mind and decide to put tips or whatever on them, I'd take them too!  :P  But these will certainly do as they are!  :D

Offline Maxim

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 10:18:17 am »
It looks like another Imageshack "lost" image. They seem to lose about 2% of what I upload.

Online TerraEsperZ

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 02:44:51 pm »
Sorry, but it works fine for me, both at home and at work. You won't cheat me out of my triumph :P And don't worry, you weren't the reason why I didn't finish sooner, as I'll explain below.

And as for tips, don't hold your breath unfortunately. You know how some people just can't write or paint the same thing twice if they happen to lose their work before completion? Well I feel a bit like that with Treasure Master. I had a lot of plans for them, but I kept getting frustrated because I couldn't never do the tips the way I saw them in my head, and after a while I just got sick of that project and I still am. That's why it took so long to finish them even though they practically were already; I just didn't feel like going back to it at all, for no discernable reasons really.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 03:03:18 pm »
I see World 6 now for whatever reason, so expect this up in a few minutes!

I guess I'll have to look it up in Wikipedia to see if anything actually came out of this contest that this game was a part of...