Author Topic: Maps for games where you can't just join screenshots?  (Read 10473 times)

Offline Rekrul

Maps for games where you can't just join screenshots?
« on: September 19, 2012, 04:41:12 am »
I'm new here, and I was wondering what the policy is for games where for whatever reason, you can't just take screenshots of the game and stitch them together?

For example, some games use a simulated 3D perspective on each screen, which means that the screenshots won't fit together properly.

Also, early 3D games that use 90 degree turning, such as Dungeon Master, can only be effectively mapped by using the typical overhead/graph paper method. Well, unless you want to render everything in a 3D program, which is a little beyond my abilities at the moment. However, that still doesn't qualify as a screenshot map.

Are 'hand-drawn' maps of such games welcome here, provided that they're well done and not just scribbles, or are only screenshot maps acceptable?

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: Maps for games where you can't just join screenshots?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 05:54:51 am »
Don't worry, all kinds of map are accepted at VGMaps. It's just that screenshot maps happen to be the most common type as well as the easiest to make (usually) :).
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 06:35:03 am »
Sure! We even have a few maps of that kind here already. As an example, check out Phantasy Star's dungeon maps.

Oh, and welcome to the site!
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Rekrul

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 06:51:16 am »
Don't worry, all kinds of map are accepted at VGMaps. It's just that screenshot maps happen to be the most common type as well as the easiest to make (usually) :).

Easiest for scrolling games. :)

Sure! We even have a few maps of that kind here already. As an example, check out Phantasy Star's dungeon maps.

Good to know. There are some games for older systems like the C64 and Amiga, that I've mapped on paper, but always intended to make digital maps of, which don't lend themselves to the screenshot method.

Oh, and welcome to the site!

Thank you. :)

I've already sent in a pack of screenshot maps for the game Prince of Persia on the C64. Sure, the levels are pretty much identical to several other versions, but I felt that such a great port (done by a fan) deserved its own maps and I wanted to do them my own way. :)

Actually, I've had the maps themselves finished for a while now, but hadn't gotten around to adding a label with the title and level number to each one. I'm kind of fussy and will sometimes just keep fiddling with something forever because I can't decide what looks best.