Author Topic: Game inspired art project.  (Read 11166 times)

Offline Trop

Game inspired art project.
« on: January 28, 2013, 07:46:16 pm »
I made some images while listening to respective tracks so its musically inspired art.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 06:56:07 am by Trop »

ChesterCheatah1

Re: Game inspired art project.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 04:18:35 pm »
No comments?  Well, let me say straight up that I don't "get" art, but I think it's intriguing that you can somehow be inspired by music, and in turn come up with these beautiful works!

Since things might have turned out differently based on how the Equinox composer made music, perhaps based in turn on whatever influenced her/him at he time, you can see how volatile this art is, because in this great string of causal events we've come to your work here, which if anything had been different along the way, this wouldn't have happened as such.

Not to confuzzle your art with a contemplation of cause-and-effect...

You are amazingly artistically skilled.  Would it enhance or dilute or supplement it somehow if I listened to those same tracks while viewing your works?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:22:31 pm by ChesterCheatah1 »

Offline Trop

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 02:21:15 pm »
You don't have to worry about "understanding" my art, there's no message it's just pretty pictures.

The Equinox composer is the same guy that made the Plok soundtrack and you can hear definite influence from Jethro Tull in that game.

When making the images I tried to remember the atmosphere of each dungeon or whatever and then tried it to infuse that into the image.   Equinox is dripping with dark rich atmosphere, even if the graphics are cartoony.  The images are supposed to match the music so yes combining them should give you more of the feel I was going for.

I can make images to match any song and usually let some kind of music guide me when I'm making my surreals.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:46:54 pm »
I'll admit I've never really played Equinox because of emulation issues with the overworld map. However, being a big Jethro Tull fan, you've given me reason to listen to the work of the composer in question. Also, I'm impressed that you can see the influence of a real band in a SNES soundtrack, but that might be because although I love music, I'm not that good at noticing influences.

It would be nice, once I have the time, to actually play my way through Equinox and then come back to this thread.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Trop

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 08:42:06 am »
The Jethro Tull influence much more obvious in the Plok soundtrack.  Listen to "cavern" or "creepy crag".

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 12:04:52 pm »
You were not kidding about those two tracks. Plus, it's by Tim Follin (and sometimes his brother Geoff), one of my favourite game music composer! While I have a preference for his chiptune style, I recognize a lot of stuff from the Plok soundtrack that could also be heard in his adaptation of Ghouls'n Ghosts for the Amiga and C64.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:10:00 pm by TerraEsperZ »
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)