Author Topic: Ultima and Final Fantasy  (Read 33453 times)

Offline Revned

Re: Ultima and Final Fantasy
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 07:36:35 pm »
You might also try GLIntercept if you're using an OpenGL renderer. I find it much nicer than viewing PSX VRAM directly. You can easily get rips with the proper palettes using a configurable key combination.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:37:49 pm by Revned »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 09:44:29 pm »
I haven't reread this topic but I'm sure I mentioned that I really, really love Ultima VI, because it was the biggest game on my first PC, a 286 (do you kids know what that means? :P), but I have not actually given the Super NES version of Ultima VI: The False Prophet a chance.  Now that I look at the new maps that FlyingArmor has submitted today, it really looks like a decent port.  Maybe better in some ways?

What do you know, Google helped me find a page that explains the differences: Ultima Wiki's "SNES-Port of Ultima VI".

Despite it coming out after the Super NES Mouse, it doesn't actually use it, does it?  Would have been nice if it did.

Even if the controls aren't ideal, the game still looks great.  Thanks for this, FlyingArmor!

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 04:57:34 pm »
I find there's pros and cons for both the SNES and PC versions of Ultima VI, so it's difficult for me to side with one or the other. One of the pros of the SNES version is you see more of the world at any given time when wandering around, as opposed to the PC version where your view is much more limited in comparison.

No, I don't think it uses the Super NES Mouse. And I don't think that when it was brought over to North America that the programmers would have wanted to redesign everything to accommodate the mouse, if that was ever a thought that cropped up in their minds. The Japanese port came out a few months before the mouse did in Japan (although the game came out in April of 1992, the in-game credits say 1991 for some reason), so that's probably one solid reason for there being no mouse support in the North American version.

Personally, I never really found the controls to be all that bad. It certainly is different compared with the original PC version, but the way it was restructured I find still works fairly well.

No problem! And there's more to come!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2016, 03:49:21 pm »
With Final Fantasy III (J) just completed, does that mean all the NES/Famicom FFs are complete?  Along with the SNES/SFC FFs, does this mean all the Nintendo console FFs are done?  O_O

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2019, 07:56:22 pm »
Zerker has submitted maps for Pagan: Ultima VIII (PC)!

It's definitely a different game than the previous Ultimas.  Some people dislike it but I actually enjoyed it at the time.