Author Topic: 2013/06: VVVVVV (PC) - Technos  (Read 19225 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2013/06: VVVVVV (PC) - Technos
« on: May 31, 2013, 09:36:53 pm »

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to Technos's VVVVVV (PC) maps.

When Captain Viridian and his crew are separated in Dimension VVVVVV, it's up to him to rescue them.  But in this platforming game, you don't jump - you flip gravity.  Your mastery of this play mechanic will be tested among challenging obstacles - and challenging, they are indeed!  There are no upgrades here, except your own skills, which had better be improving if you're going to survive.

VVVVVV has a classic feel akin to a Commodore 64 game, with its charmingly simple graphics, and cutely named rooms.  But make no mistake - this game is huge!  You can see Dimension VVVVVV in all its massive glory thanks to Technos, who has also mapped out ten bonus levels.  They might help you out, and you might lose less lives...maybe.  But you'll still lose a lot.

So to acknowledge the effort put into mapping this very vibrant, very vicious, very vital game, Technos's VVVVVV (PC) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for June 2013.

Offline Rew

Re: 2013/06: VVVVVV (PC) - Technos
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 10:25:44 am »
This game easily has the most bizarre name of any video game in history.

Congrats, Techno!
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 12:19:43 pm »
Technos is a mean mapping machine for managing to map every bonus stages. Which reminds me, I should really update my copy of this game since when I bought it, it didn't have nearly as much bonus content.

Also, Rew, if you find the name bizarre, you might want to take a look at the 4K Java demake by Minecraft's very own Notch, VVVV.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 07:47:17 pm »
This game easily has the most bizarre name of any video game in history.

Congrats, Techno!

I keep wondering. How do you pronounce it?
Do you pronounce it as veeveeveeveeveevee, or just a long vvvvvv sound? Or "hexavee", "six v"?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 08:02:17 am »
I believe it is pronounced "vee-vee-vee-vee-vee-vee".

But now that I say it out loud, I notice I can't help but slightly pause after the third "vee", like "vee-vee-vee, vee-vee-vee".  Does anyone pronounce it "vee-vee, vee-vee, vee-vee"?  (Or perhaps something irregular, like "vee, vee-vee-vee, vee-vee"?)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 02:32:04 pm »
Pronouncing it with five Vs would sound a lot better than six. Well, it would at least be pronounceable. In any case, VVVVVV is a name I hope I never have to speak aloud because it just doesn't work when it's not text. I wonder if it wasn't a joke on the creator's part...
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 07:56:40 am »
You're right, saying "V" five times (or, in Roman numerals, "V" times :P) actually does seem easier to say than six.  Ah, the nuances of language.

The characters in this game are named Captain Viridian, Doctor Violet, Doctor Victoria, Officer Vermilion, Professor Vitellary, and Chief Verdigris, which are six V-names.  Hence, six Vs.

Makes sense there, but to still be confusing, the soundtrack for VVVVVV is called PPPPPP.  Sure, each track begins with P, but not readily apparent, and if so, it's only because VVVVVV is the only title I know of with six repeating letters.  But that kind of buggers it up for them to make a sequel to VVVVVV if they want to use a different repeating letter, or anyone else who wants to make a game called PPPPPP...