Author Topic: YK's random map progress thread  (Read 37037 times)

Offline YelseyKing

Re: YK's random map progress thread
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 10:57:03 pm »
Since everyone else seems to have one of these progress threads, I figured I may as well, too, to avoid cluttering the forum. Moving my other recent post here:

SaGa Frontier is another of my personal favorite games. Very underrated. And I'd like to map it out.

I actually have a little experience mapping this game, having mapped out various unused areas for the Cutting Room Floor back when I was active there. It's not much harder than an SNES game, by and large, and I have map modifier and walk through walls GameShark codes that can help.

I'm not sure how feasible mapping out the *whole* game will be, since I'm not sure how I'd disable sprites (since I need to use cheats, I'm pretty much limited to ePSXe, the only emulator I'm aware of that supports them), but I'll do what I can.

Another game I'd like to take on is Wild Arms. The area select debug menu would make getting around to each map easily enough, but without a walk through walls code, there's no way I'd be able to get everything. Especially those elusive inaccessible islands on the Elw Dimension overworld map.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 12:09:50 am by YelseyKing »

Offline Trop

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 07:16:36 pm »
You could request a WTW at gamehacking.org.

Offline YelseyKing

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 11:38:48 pm »
You could request a WTW at gamehacking.org.

I could... but I'm kind of an...awkward person, and it just doesn't feel right to register at a forum just to start making requests. I've also been part of communities where requests will get you ripped in half, so I'm understandably a bit hesitant...

Offline Trop

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 02:39:48 pm »
Hah, no I meant they have a request system.  Here I posted it for you:
http://gamehacking.org/requests&p=10

When the request disappears that means it's been filled and you can just check that's games page for the code.

Offline YelseyKing

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 03:47:31 pm »
Hah, no I meant they have a request system.  Here I posted it for you:
http://gamehacking.org/requests&p=10

When the request disappears that means it's been filled and you can just check that's games page for the code.

Ooooh. Heh, that's pretty neat. I had no idea that existed. Thanks. :)

Offline YelseyKing

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 06:55:49 pm »
Whoa. I've returned after... like, more than a year. :P

With this: http://snesmusic.jukor.net/maps/CastlequestMap.png

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Castlequest. I've never managed to beat this game, and it's very, very annoying and confusing. But it fascinates me so, for some reason I can't quite explain.

Anyhow, I noticed there was a map for the Japanese MSX version, but I didn't see one for the NES version, so I figured I'd put one together. Fortunately, the mechanics of the game (each time you enter a room, the game pauses and allows you to look around it) made ripping it easy enough.

Offline YelseyKing

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 12:21:08 am »
Just out of curiosity, and... not to be rude or anything, but... is there some reason my Castlequest map hasn't been added yet? Is there a part of the submission process I'm missing? I know it's been...quite a while since my last submission, so I admit I may have forgotten...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 03:29:51 pm »
Sorry, YelseyKing!  I can't be always be expected to see submissions within the forums...  This is why I've said before that submissions should always be emailed, or at least to notify me - and even if you had, it wouldn't surprise me if I missed it this year, being busy with the Edmonton screening of Nintendo Quest and a lot of other real world stuff lately...

I'll try and get this up soon; this is kind of a busy weekend, I just happen to be here now...

EDIT: Up now.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 03:55:32 pm by JonLeung »

Offline YelseyKing

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 06:16:44 pm »
I... suddenly reappear again.

Is anyone doing Cosmo Police Galivan for NES? There are... a lot of active threads, and going through them all would take a while, so... just asking here first. I decided to give the game a try, and it seems pretty interesting and easy enough to rip. If someone's already taking this game on, no big. I just want to know so I don't duplicate anyone's efforts. :P

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2016, 07:20:58 pm »
I don't recall anyone calling dibs on that game, and doing a search for it just brings up your post, so I'd say you should be okay. :)

Offline YelseyKing

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2016, 10:54:40 pm »
Excellent. I've finished ripping the map of the first area. Not quite sure how long this game is, and the rooms don't always *quite* connect properly (some rooms will have little gaps in them on my maps... this is just how it's done in-game), but it's going well so far. Neat little Metroidvania-style game, too.

Offline YelseyKing

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2016, 11:05:49 pm »
Cosmo Police Galivan is basically finished, but before I can submit it, I have to go back and fix a dumb mistake I made... I forgot to take a screenshot of the boss of the fourth area. I literally remembered this *right after* defeating it, and since the game auto-saves, I basically have to replay up to that point to fight it again. Joy. Fortunately, the longest part of the game was in mapping it out, so it shouldn't take more than a day or so to get that and declare the maps finished.

As an aside, I was surprised to see that Shadowgate (NES) wasn't on the site. I might take that one on, since I've always enjoyed it; maybe do one of those little "walkthrough" maps. Something like that. We'll see.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2016, 08:18:34 am »
Yes, Shadowgate would be really neat.  Really, any of the three MacVenture games, Déjà Vu and Uninvited being the other two, but I'm pretty sure Shadowgate was the first and most well-known of them.  I like each of them for different reasons.  (I never played Sword Of Hope on the Game Boy, I think it's very similar too but with RPG battle elements.)

My first issue of Nintendo Power, Volume 20/Jan. 1991 with Mega Man III on the cover, featured a poster of Bart Vs. The Space Mutants, and the backside of it had a large map of Déjà Vu.  I thought (and still think) it's pretty neat, with the lines all over the place...if I recall correctly, anyway.  It was kind of like a flowchart, not just a map.  I'd always hoped to see someone take that on.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 09:38:07 am by JonLeung »

Offline YelseyKing

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2016, 02:21:28 pm »
I've never actually played Uninvited or Deja Vu, just Shadowgate. If that one works out, maybe I'll give the others a shot. Not sure on when I'll get started, though. After an intense week of mapping, a short break is in order. I do have a rough idea of how I'll handle it, but we'll see once I get to it if it *works*.

At any rate, I'm finished with Cosmo Police Galivan. Pretty interesting game, not *too* hard to map. I included all the secret passages, areas that change for one reason or another, and locations of items and bosses. I didn't include normal enemies, because I really had no practical way of doing so. Should be good enough, though. I'm also submitting them via e-mail just to make sure this time, since I've been bad about that in the past. But until they make the site, here they are:

http://snesmusic.jukor.net/maps/CPG-Area1.png
http://snesmusic.jukor.net/maps/CPG-Area2.png
http://snesmusic.jukor.net/maps/CPG-Area3.png
http://snesmusic.jukor.net/maps/CPG-Area4.png
http://snesmusic.jukor.net/maps/CPG-Area5.png
http://snesmusic.jukor.net/maps/CPG-Area6.png

Important Edit: I just noticed and corrected a rather big labeling error on Area 6's map. I had the wrong room marked as the place where you get the Cosmo Blade upgraded. If anyone downloaded the map, refresh the URL above and re-download the updated map!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 03:56:14 pm by YelseyKing »

Offline YelseyKing

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2016, 01:32:19 am »
Just finished a playthrough of Terranigma, and I noticed that there are actually a few maps missing from the site, most notably the Castle of Dragoon and Beruga's Tower (not to be confused with his lab). Maybe a few other things, too. So, I'm gonna go ahead and assemble maps of them... maybe do some additional mapping, as well. Interestingly, there seems to be quite a lot of the Castle of Dragoon you can't see unless you use a walk through walls code. I've always been fascinated by things like that, so...