Author Topic: SimCity (SNES): Demo maps  (Read 7289 times)

Offline Tropylium

SimCity (SNES): Demo maps
« on: October 05, 2017, 10:23:41 am »
Hello all; longtime reader, first-time poster. Here is a little project I'd like to pitch.

VGMaps already has the in-game scenarios from SimCity… however, this is a construction game. So in principle, cities showing up in e.g. the game instruction booklet and promo material are mappable as well, even if they have to be reconstructed by hand from the printed screenshots.

Some possible cities of interest, in what might be descending order of relevance:
  • The finished practice mode Metropolis and full game Megalopolis examples (printed quite small but just barely legible);
  • The six "inspiration" maps on alternative strategies to city building;
    (Green Junction, Fun City, Redmond, Patchwork City, Round Butte, Dr. Wright)
  • Wrighton, "Dr. Wright's" megalopolis surveyed in some detail in the last chapter;
  • The demo maps on problems in city design (10 altogether, all include at least before / after pictures);
    (Pineaway, Pigiron, Doodle, Tower, Gearhead, Portly, Lonestar, Goldrush, Hoocares, Planless)
  • Any number of cities that show up in promotional material, such as this (I know at least two of these make a brief reappearence in the instruction booklet);
  • The demo city constructed phase by phase in the instruction booklet (with dozens of construction screenshots);
  • Some other instruction booklet illustrative screenshots;
  • Any number of cities that show up in published reviews of the game.
All but the first would be incomplete maps, though in many cases multiple screenshots can be joined together (e.g. Wrighton is covered by six maps in the booklet, which fit together as 2 connected clusters).

I have maps transcribed in shorthand for a few of these already, but before I start assembling detailed versions, I'd like to know if there is any interest in them, be it here on VGMaps or in general.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:24:07 am by Tropylium »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: SimCity (SNES): Demo maps
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 08:16:39 am »
I'm interested, HOWEVER I feel there should be some level of "official"-ness to the maps - i.e. maps from the instruction manual would count, but I don't know about the cities that appear in published reviews of the game, as those are done by someone else, and then where is the line drawn?

Construction games can come up with nearly countless combinations, so I feel there has to be value to these maps.  I don't want to open up a can of worms and then feel obligated to put up maps of the literally millions of Super Mario Maker stages made by any of its users, for instance.

In any case, the maps would have to be named logically or perhaps have a blurb on the image itself explaining what it is, if it isn't obvious just by looking at it.